PDA

View Full Version : Does Poison Damage apply the Poison Condition?

Gazza
2019-04-03, 10:55 AM
Hi all, I have a simple question which may have been covered already.

When a creature or weapon attack deals poison damage, does this also mean the target receives the poison condition?

It seems to be unclear. Some creature attacks deal poison damage and require a save to avoid being poisoned, whilst other creature attacks only deal poison damage.

Any help would be useful.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-04-03, 11:08 AM
If the attack applies a poisoned condition, it will say so. Otherwise, no.

Unoriginal
2019-04-03, 11:16 AM
If the attack applies a poisoned condition, it will say so. Otherwise, no.

This. Unless it's precised as happening, it doesn't happen.

Reverse is true, too. It's possible to have the poisoned condition without poison damage.

Gazza
2019-04-03, 11:30 AM
Great, thanks guts.

I thought this would be the case, just wanted to make sure.

Millstone85
2019-04-03, 11:32 AM
Sometimes, I wish damage types came with conditions by default.

poison
poisoned

psychic
frightened

radiant
blinded

thunder
deafened

It would give them more identity.

Unoriginal
2019-04-03, 11:48 AM
Sometimes, I wish damage types came with conditions by default.

poison
poisoned

psychic
frightened

radiant
blinded

thunder
deafened

It would give them more identity.

I'm all for identity, but I sure am extremely glad they didn't force a "X damage type means Y condition" and stuck with the identity both concepts have.

Remember that applying conditions means it the ability is more powerful than one doing equivalent damage without the condition. Meaning the designers would have to have increased the cost of said ability. Not to mention that any source of radiant or thunder damage would make Blindness/Deafness obsolete.

nickl_2000
2019-04-03, 11:51 AM
I'm all for identity, but I sure am extremely glad they didn't force a "X damage type means Y condition" and stuck with the identity both concepts have.

Remember that applying conditions means it the ability is more powerful than one doing equivalent damage without the condition. Meaning the designers would have to have increased the cost of said ability. Not to mention that any source of radiant or thunder damage would make Blindness/Deafness obsolete.

+1 agree with this... Also, this would completely destroy any semblance of balance between martials and casters.

Millstone85
2019-04-03, 11:55 AM
Remember that applying conditions means it the ability is more powerful than one doing equivalent damage without the condition.
+1 agree with this... Also, this would completely destroy any semblance of balance between martials and casters.You are both right, of course.