PDA

View Full Version : Build help: Alexander the Decent-inspired character for Pathfinder

MonkeySage
2019-04-03, 12:40 PM
I wanna capitalize on Alexander's qualities for this character. Probably a human fighter for extra feats and skill points. 20 and 25 point buy variants. Starting level 5, probably a balance of physical and mental stats, particularly charisma and intelligence. I foresee taking leadership at level 7, if a future gm allows it. He doesn't have to be a perfect copy of Alexander.

Two traits or three traits and a drawback. :)

Probably going for a chaotic neutral character.

Elricaltovilla
2019-04-03, 06:32 PM
Who is the character you're trying to base your build off of? Do you have any reference materials?

MonkeySage
2019-04-03, 06:50 PM
Alexander the Great- sorry if the title was unclear, lol. There's loads of reference material out there on him.

I chose human to start with, but as halflings are my favorite race by far, I'd be interested to see what a halfling version of Alex the Great would look like.

Elricaltovilla
2019-04-03, 07:00 PM
Alexander the Great- sorry if the title was unclear, lol. There's loads of reference material out there on him.

Well you didn't ever say Alexander the Great. Your title says Alexander the Descent, which I assume you meant Decent (descent means to climb down, decent means average quality).

Even with that cleared up, which version of Alexander the Great? The historical version, who is basically just a fighter with high intelligence and charisma? The Fate version who has a bunch of magical hax abilities like summoning a ghost army? The mythology version who is a supernaturally talented tactician with the backing of the Hellenic Pantheon? One of the myriad comic book versions, that all have different abilities?

You gotta narrow it down.

MonkeySage
2019-04-03, 07:05 PM
Yeah I typed the title on my phone, lol. But, the historical version was the one I was going for- cause even from a purely realistic and historical standpoint, what he did was pretty neat.

Since we're building this character for pathfinder, fantasy embellishments are welcome though. And this isn't meant to be a perfect copy or clone of Alex- more that Alex is serving as inspiration.

Elricaltovilla
2019-04-03, 07:11 PM
Yeah I typed the title on my phone, lol. But, the historical version was the one I was going for- cause even from a purely realistic and historical standpoint, what he did was pretty neat.

Since we're building this character for pathfinder, fantasy embellishments are welcome though. And this isn't meant to be a perfect copy or clone of Alex- more that Alex is serving as inspiration.

Well the base build would be some sort of full BAB class. Fighters aren't very good for leadership or other non-hitting stuff with stuff abilities, so I recommend Ranger or Slayer. Same BAB, comparable hit points, better saves, way more skill points. With ranger you can have an animal companion, which is good at simulating your horse or whatever.

Make sure you have a positive Charisma modifier just in case you get leadership, but don't worry about it too much, leadership is borked in more than one way.

Fighting style wise, the Greeks of the time made use of phalanxes with pikes, which for no good reason is basically impossible to do in 1st party Pathfinder despite being one of the most common fighting styles historically. You can sword and board it alright though, but your damage will suffer compared to using a two handed weapon.

Of course, lots of other options open up if you have access to third party materials.

MonkeySage
2019-04-03, 07:42 PM
Here's what I have at point buy 20:

Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14

For Point Buy 25, it's the same, except with Int 16.

If the character's human, then they get a +2 ability bonus their choice- trying to decide where it should go.

This character would miss out on spellcasting, but if I chose an archetype that didn't get spellcasting anyway, no real loss. My original idea didn't have spellcasting to begin with.

The extra 5 points could raise his wisdom score to 14, though- if that provides worthwhile benefits, like Profession (soldier).

So alternatively, for 25 point buy: Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14

20 point buy: Str 12, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14

For the benefit of future gms, I'm gonna avoid 3PP material.

Elricaltovilla
2019-04-04, 05:59 AM
Depending on how optimized your table is, you're going to be pretty ineffective with that kind of stat spread. As a fighter-equivalent, your highest stat should ALWAYS be your attacking stat (Strength most likely, but there are ways to make Dexterity work). You really only need 12 INT and can easily get away with only 10. You will not be using it for anything important.

So you want your STR or DEX at 16 minimum and put your racial bonus into that. To make DEX work for you, you'll want Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus and Slashing Grace feats (or Fencing Grace or Dervish Dance) unless you want to dip 3 levels of unchained rogue (which is not necessarily a bad idea).

exelsisxax
2019-04-04, 07:38 AM
Fighter is the wrong choice. Making them not suck requires build decisions you are opposed to. Splitting points into int and cha as a fighter is anti-optimization.

Instead, look at a swashbucker for charisma focus and investigator/alchemist or inspired blade swashbuckler for intelligence focus. Alchemists and investigators have non-magical archetypes. Alternatively, a rogue.

CharonsHelper
2019-04-04, 07:42 AM
How about a Bard with Perform: Oratory?

Not a perfect fit - but in the ballpark and should be effective.

MonkeySage
2019-04-04, 08:07 AM
The reason I'm trying for high intelligence is that the historical figure he's based on was likewise highly intelligent. I'm trying to build him as a commander type.

Galacktic
2019-04-04, 08:11 AM
The reason I'm trying for high intelligence is that the historical figure he's based on was likewise highly intelligent. I'm trying to build him as a commander type.

The issue with that stat spread is that you'd be Alexander the Mediocre. You'd be useless at literally everything you wanted to do.

MonkeySage
2019-04-04, 08:20 AM
So what would be a better stat spread?

Peat
2019-04-04, 08:31 AM
Look at Cavalier.

You'll be a mounted fighter, which is the popular notion of the historic Alexander.

You have a lot of skill points and Tactician feats, which will go a long way to represent being a commander.

Full BAB and bonus combat feats, so he'll be back to kick butt.

Its not completely ideal - I think that if you want to focus on the very intelligent, very charismatic general going Bard might be a better route - but this isn't a bad one to look at.

exelsisxax
2019-04-04, 08:41 AM
So what would be a better stat spread?

18 14 15 10 10 7 (assuming STR-based)

Because fighters can't afford int or cha increases. So give up or don't use fighter.

MonkeySage
2019-04-04, 08:44 AM
18 14 15 10 10 7 (assuming STR-based)

Because fighters can't afford int or cha increases. So give up or don't use fighter.

I thought we were past fighter, lol. Like I said, Intelligence is absolutely essential for this.

exelsisxax
2019-04-04, 09:10 AM
I thought we were past fighter, lol. Like I said, Intelligence is absolutely essential for this.

Investigator, alchemist, inspired blade swashbuckler. There's probably archetypes i'm missing. Pick your favorite.