PDA

View Full Version : Speculation An Epic Level Conjuration Wizard - What kind of spells/fighting style?

Hobbo Jim
2019-04-03, 01:44 PM
TLDR: What feats (not necessarily written spells) would encapsulate an epic level Conjuration Wizard's ability in a story, specifically a combat story?

In this world there is a wizard that is unbelievably powerful, who's true feats have only been told in legend. In addition to being a powerful Conjuration wizard, he actually is an extremely skilled swordsman, and usually opts for the "sword and board" battle mage style.

Ignoring the feasibility of this kind of multiclass and the the fact that there are no official epic level rules, What kind of spells or fighting style do you think this kind of character would employ? When thinking of the feats a figure like this might have in a story, I would normally look at the school first, the most powerful spell in that school, and go from there. For Evocation, meteor swarm, they can cast some seriously damaging magic. Abjuration, invulnerability and imprisonment show that a person would have phenomenal buffing and sealing powers. I am at a bit of a loss for Conjuration spells, however. The highest level spell is Wish, which of course is the most powerful of magic, but I find it hard to weave that spell into a story that might have a specific example of his power. In particular, Wish seems like the kind of spell that would rarely be cast in combat given its heavy risk if you continue to cast after it. Naturally there is the idea that he can summon powerful elementals, but unless he summons an elemental prince a story that says "He summoned a really powerful elemental that did things" is kind of a boring story. At any rate, I seem to be at a loss to give an uber-powerful wizard a conjuration-defining story. I could drop the conjuration bit and just say "he's a powerful wizard", of course, which as a million avenues and options, but I figure I'd ask for help before dumping the conjuration theme.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-03, 02:01 PM
Well, summoning stuff (and teleportation) is conjuration's schtick, so...

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 02:12 PM
Stand near the enemy team, cast Summon Lesser Demons behind the enemy team (sandwiching the enemy between the players and the demons, potentially granting Flanking rules while doing so). Then use their teleportation trick to swap places with the Fighter after the enemies try to gang up on the Wizard, now surrounding the Fighter while their back line gets eaten by a bunch of uncontrolled demons.

You can also trap enemies into something like Demiplane, if you can keep them there long enough. Or you can create your own magical rooms by making multiple Demiplanes and warping between them. Or use Demiplane to have your team escape as a staging area, then use Gate to attack the enemy again once your team has licked their wounds for a second fight.

Or you banish creatures willy-nilly using things like Maze, Plane Shift, or Banishment.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-03, 02:17 PM
You don't need to limit his summon to an elemental prince for it to be epic, make it about quantity not quantity if its getting hard to get that.

For instance, he could have summoned an entire Celestial Host, and then teleported it around to various fronts of battle, time and legend turned this into "He was fighting in every battle front at the same time!", not true, he just went back and forth as needed.

Regarding epic levels in 5e, we ported some of our PCs from 3.5 and did away with the CL 20 limitation (classes are still limited to 20 since there's no "official" progression), and nothing broke, we didn't REALLY played them, but used them to do some stuff in the setting, the characters in question were 4 ranging from CL 26 to 33, I used my Bladesinger in two encounters, and it felt like an epic PC (though completely different from what is was before, definitely not a martial anymore)

malachi
2019-04-03, 02:29 PM
Epic things a sword-wielding conjuration wizard should be able to do:
- Conjure an army of elementals (quickly) to stop an invasion
- Conjure a portion of another plane over onto the prime material plane
- Conjure a giant golem (which he then controls the motions of while standing on top of it) that beats up the terrasque (or something similar)
- Crafted a set of powerful magical swords (one for each plane of existence?) which he wielded to stop a demon invasion
--For extra points, the swords all sheathe together in a way that creates a shield (or something equally unwieldy using mundane engineering)

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 02:47 PM
Interesting concept for some high level play:

Create a blank Demiplane.

Have an ally cast Silent Image in the shape of a patch of ground, ON the ground.

Cast Gate along the ground, under the Silent Image.

Bait enemies into falling into your dumb trap. Gate is a 20 diameter gateway, oriented however you choose, and you choose for it to open from the top of the 30x30x30 Demiplane. Unless they can fly, climb up ceilings or jump 30 feet, they fall in and are stuck there.

Release Concentration on the Gate. You now have a 30x30x30 box full of bad guys. Unless they have some high level planar magic, they're stuck there indefinitely.

Later, if there's someone you don't like, you "reward" them with information about your Demiplane full of magical stuff. When they open it up, the Demons you've locked up will have something to play with.

Unoriginal
2019-04-03, 05:16 PM
I would make him summon a Demon Prince, or an Archdevil.

Then the Fiend becomes a sword, the Conjurer grabs its handle, swing it, and take a battle stance.