PDA

View Full Version : Making Magic Missile universal

HamsterKun
2019-04-03, 03:44 PM
Magic Missile, in my opinion, is THE simplest manipulation of mana/the Weave that I can think of. I was wondering if it could be where it's accessible not only by the Wizard and Sorcerer, but across ALL spellcasting classes. Almost like the Hoboken spell in Erfworld.

KorvinStarmast
2019-04-03, 03:47 PM
Magic Missile, in my opinion, is THE simplest manipulation of mana/the Weave that I can think of. I was wondering if it could be where it's accessible not only by the Wizard and Sorcerer, but across ALL spellcasting classes. Almost like the Hoboken spell in Erfworld. Are you the DM? Do what you want.
You want MM within PHB parameters?
Multiclass 1 wizard, and then off you go to any other class you want.
Simple.

Unoriginal
2019-04-03, 03:48 PM
Magic Missile, in my opinion, is THE simplest manipulation of mana/the Weave that I can think of.

Prestidigitation.

I was wondering if it could be where it's accessible not only by the Wizard and Sorcerer, but across ALL spellcasting classes. Almost like the Hoboken spell in Erfworld.

There are thematic reasons why it's not available to those classes.

What do you want from us, by the way?

KorvinStarmast
2019-04-03, 03:48 PM
There are thematic reasons why it's not available to those classes.

What do you want from us, by the way? Your permission. :smallbiggrin:

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 03:50 PM
Magic Missile, in my opinion, is THE simplest manipulation of mana/the Weave that I can think of. I was wondering if it could be where it's accessible not only by the Wizard and Sorcerer, but across ALL spellcasting classes. Almost like the Hoboken spell in Erfworld.

There's a few concerns I have on that:

Warlocks, particularly Hexblade Warlocks, would get a lot from cheap, upcasted Magic Missile castings. With Hexblade's Curse, you're looking at +Proficiency in damage per shot.

I think Clerics were designed around not having too many direct damage options, and Magic Missile is straight up one of the Domain spells for the Arcana Cleric (which is one of the more mundane Domains, and it needs it).

I can't think of too much else that would break beyond those circumstances.

HamsterKun
2019-04-03, 03:57 PM
Are you the DM? Do what you want.
You want MM within PHB parameters?
Multiclass 1 wizard, and then off you go to any other class you want.
Simple.

Actually, have where you don't even NEED to multiclass a Wizard or Sorcerer to have Magic Missile. You see, in Erfworld, Hoboken is available to casters of all 24 disciplines of magic from the moment they pop. *
(https://wiki.erfworld.com/Hoboken)

Unoriginal
2019-04-03, 04:13 PM
Actually, have where you don't even NEED to multiclass a Wizard or Sorcerer to have Magic Missile. You see, in Erfworld, Hoboken is available to casters of all 24 disciplines of magic from the moment they pop. *
(https://wiki.erfworld.com/Hoboken)

And? What does Erfworld has to do with this?

You want the change? Make it.

Again, what do you want from us/this thread?

dejarnjc
2019-04-03, 04:42 PM
And? What does Erfworld has to do with this?

You want the change? Make it.

Again, what do you want from us/this thread?

Probably peoples' thoughts and opinions...

My own is that this would break nothing balance-wise. It would make druids and clerics a bit more powerful and it would make the shield spell extra valuable.

Also, I thought shockamancy was the universal in erfworld? If so, wouldn't a lightning damage spell be more appropriate?

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-03, 04:52 PM
Minor Magic Missile
Cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock, Bard
You create a glowing dart of magical force. The dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 2 force damage to its target.
The spell creates more than one dart when you reach higher levels: two darts at 5th level, three darts at 11th level, and four darts at 17th level. You can direct the darts at the same target or at different ones.

LudicSavant
2019-04-03, 05:00 PM
The main beneficiary of this houserule would probably be Hexblades, followed by Druids, followed by Clerics.

Mikal
2019-04-03, 05:03 PM

No
Oh wait need 10 characters.
No

LibraryOgre
2019-04-03, 05:28 PM
I would think "Detect Magic" would be simpler. "Is there magic? Yes?"

stoutstien
2019-04-03, 05:42 PM
I could see a feat that added MM to your spell list and maybe gives the about to cast shield once a day.

Chronos
2019-04-04, 06:48 AM
One of the Dresden Files books has him commenting that fire magic is a lot easier than force magic, because fire naturally exists in the world. Once you produce it, you just let it act like fire naturally does: It burns stuff (which is presumably what you wanted, and why you cast a fire spell). But magical force doesn't exist naturally, so everything you want it to do, you have to control it directly to do that.

By this standard, the basic Hoboken that everyone gets should be Burning Hands.

Sigreid
2019-04-04, 07:05 AM
First, for a basic magic effect any caster can learn, to me that's a cantrip level spell.

Second, Magic Missle is a much more effective spell than some people realize.

Third, do you think there's some imbalance this would fix?

Fourth, traditionally in D&D the different kinds of casters relate to magic in different ways. Their understanding is different.

hymer
2019-04-04, 07:24 AM
I would think "Detect Magic" would be simpler. "Is there magic? Yes?"
"Of course there's magic, I just cast a spell detecting magic."

2D8HP
2019-04-04, 07:37 AM
Magic Missile, in my opinion, is THE simplest manipulation of mana/the Weave that I can think of. I was wondering if it could be where it's accessible not only by the Wizard and Sorcerer, but across ALL spellcasting classes...

Sure - only allow Sorcerers and Wizards to cast spells - now all spellcasting classes have magic missle.

Boom - Done!

That was easy.