PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polymorph & Spore Druids?

Citadel97501
2019-04-03, 04:21 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if the class ability Halo of Spores remains in play while using Polymorph or Symbiotic Entity? I was thinking that any forms with multiple attacks would be very effective for a spore druid, as they don't have extra attack to abuse the bonus poison damage.

nickl_2000
2019-04-03, 06:17 PM
My inclination is to say no. When you polymorph your cease to be a druid and turn into another creature.

I know you can keep concentration, but your list all your other class abilities (a polymorphed fighter can't second wind for example). However, check with your DM some would allow it in sure.

Mutazoia
2019-04-03, 08:44 PM
Activating your Symbiotic Entity is a use of your wild shape, and since you can't have two wild shapes going at once, one would automatically cancel the other out.

Citadel97501
2019-04-03, 09:19 PM
Activating your Symbiotic Entity is a use of your wild shape, and since you can't have two wild shapes going at once, one would automatically cancel the other out.

Symbiotic Entity isn't actually changing your shape it just uses the same resource, but I can see your logic there.

OverLordOcelot
2019-04-03, 09:43 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if the class ability Halo of Spores remains in play while using Polymorph or Symbiotic Entity? I was thinking that any forms with multiple attacks would be very effective for a spore druid, as they don't have extra attack to abuse the bonus poison damage.

For polymorph, the answer is a simple and clear no. When you polymorph, you use that creature's stat block and none of your own class abilities. For symbiotic entity, the answer is obviously yes, otherwise there would't be symbiotic entity abilities that enhance halo of spores. If you meant wild shape, then I would say yes if symbiotic entity didn't have the restriction "until you use your Wild Shape again". I don't see why you'd call this 'abuse' or 'very effective' - you want to burn two rounds and both of your uses of wild shape at 8th level to do 2D6 damage on top of D8+4 and 2D6+4 until you take 34 points of damage and it's all gone. You could instead cast the 4th level Guardian of Nature with a bonus action and wild shape in just one round to get the same thing with a second wild shape available, but also get advantage on all of your attacks, 10 feet of movement, and 120' darkvision. (Remember that a spore druid is limited to regular wild shape, they don't get the higher CR forms that moon druid gets). In a 4 round fight, you're looking at a potential 2d8 + 8D6 + 16 damage, for an potential average of 53 damage ignoring attack rolls. Just walking up and using primal savagery without expending any resources or having to do any setup would do 8d10 damage for an average of 44 damage ignoring attack rolls.