PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Cleric changing from good to evil in game

Shnoogie
2019-04-03, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone.

I have an ongoing game that my cleric got killed in. He took about double HP damage due to the other PCs.

Story goes, my cleric was entombed and in a trance with his deity. While in that the other 2 PCs fought and protected the tomb. After the battle they found a disembodied finger and it was moving so one of the PCs, a fey who has been leading us somewhere, liked the finger and decided to keep it. The other PC a wizard/cleric didn't realize it was intelligent and thought it was just a zombie finger or something. When my cleric completed is trance and learned a new feat, he never saw or heard anything about the finger. So kept going through the dungeon helping out as best as possible.

After a while my cleric noticed the finger and immediately knew it was evil and that it was likely a lich so he freaked out on it and tried to get the fey to get rid of it. Then the finger disintegrated my cleric.

The wizard/cleric is distraught as hell since our characters were very close. My cleric died due to outside factors out of his control.

According to my DM my cleric is now stuck as a ghost because his deity is unwilling to help him into the astral plane. And the cleric is still in pain in his ghost form.

I think this would significantly change my cleric and should change his enlightenment. He should be afraid of the fey PC because everything that PC did caused the cleric damage or fear. (AOE fear pipes or something and I never could get that save roll)

What I want to do is RP him stuck in that limbo and in pain and very angry at both the PCs and his deity. Which could cause him to switch alignments so the point of going from neutral good to lawful evil and following Bane. My thoughts are that Bane being the god of fear and such would accept the cleric with manipulation and offering freedom from fear.

Also the wizard PC is chaotic good and thinks since his only friend for the last couple hundred years died in a horrible/preventable way that he can dive into necromancy for get my cleric back from the dead and that would change his alignment.

Is this too out there? I'm pretty sure this direction will cause the other players to leave, but it feels like an option and it sounds interesting.

magic9mushroom
2019-04-03, 05:27 PM
Hello everyone.

I have an ongoing game that my cleric got killed in. He took about double HP damage due to the other PCs.

Story goes, my cleric was entombed and in a trance with his deity. While in that the other 2 PCs fought and protected the tomb. After the battle they found a disembodied finger and it was moving so one of the PCs, a fey who has been leading us somewhere, liked the finger and decided to keep it. The other PC a wizard/cleric didn't realize it was intelligent and thought it was just a zombie finger or something. When my cleric completed is trance and learned a new feat, he never saw or heard anything about the finger. So kept going through the dungeon helping out as best as possible.

After a while my cleric noticed the finger and immediately knew it was evil and that it was likely a lich so he freaked out on it and tried to get the fey to get rid of it. Then the finger disintegrated my cleric.

The wizard/cleric is distraught as hell since our characters were very close. My cleric died due to outside factors out of his control.

According to my DM my cleric is now stuck as a ghost because his deity is unwilling to help him into the astral plane. And the cleric is still in pain in his ghost form.

I think this would significantly change my cleric and should change his enlightenment. He should be afraid of the fey PC because everything that PC did caused the cleric damage or fear. (AOE fear pipes or something and I never could get that save roll)

What I want to do is RP him stuck in that limbo and in pain and very angry at both the PCs and his deity. Which could cause him to switch alignments so the point of going from neutral good to lawful evil and following Bane. My thoughts are that Bane being the god of fear and such would accept the cleric with manipulation and offering freedom from fear.

Also the wizard PC is chaotic good and thinks since his only friend for the last couple hundred years died in a horrible/preventable way that he can dive into necromancy for get my cleric back from the dead and that would change his alignment.

Is this too out there? I'm pretty sure this direction will cause the other players to leave, but it feels like an option and it sounds interesting.

I'm pretty sure Raise Dead (or Limited Wish) isn't Evil (or, technically, Necromancy, though it sure as hell should be).

Also, why is the cleric's god so mad at him that it's condemning him to torture? You'd think that if anybody was a shoe-in for their god taking care of them in the afterlife, it'd be a cleric.

Shnoogie
2019-04-03, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Raise Dead (or Limited Wish) isn't Evil (or, technically, Necromancy, though it sure as hell should be).

Also, why is the cleric's god so mad at him that it's condemning him to torture? You'd think that if anybody was a shoe-in for their god taking care of them in the afterlife, it'd be a cleric.

The only answer i have for the god to not retrieve the cleric is "story arc". Which my cleric would definitely take offence to his god not helping.

And the wizard just got a point in cleric recently from the teaching of my cleric.

SangoProduction
2019-04-03, 05:45 PM
The only answer i have for the god to not retrieve the cleric is "story arc". Which my cleric would definitely take offence to his god not helping.

And the wizard just got a point in cleric recently from the teaching of my cleric.

All of this sounds like an incredible red flag. I'd stick it out for a session or two, and if nothing satisfying happens by then, I'd give the GM a final chance to give some explanation and hint as to what's going on.
If, again, nothing comes of it, I'd just pack up and join another game.

But as to the OP question...Sounds reasonable. I'd have doubt that any man of the cloth who saw the literal embodiment of their god just give them the middle finger, and condemn them to eternal torture and torment...Well... Let's just say, they'd either really need to exercise mental gymnastics, and rationalize it as not being their god, or they will come out the other side....worse for wear.

Although, I could easily see this being a reaffirming experience, if you get resurrected. "It was all a test." Funny thing about dogma is that you just need to flex a little and you'll get the interpretation you want.

Shnoogie
2019-04-03, 06:13 PM
All of this sounds like an incredible red flag. I'd stick it out for a session or two, and if nothing satisfying happens by then, I'd give the GM a final chance to give some explanation and hint as to what's going on.
If, again, nothing comes of it, I'd just pack up and join another game.

But as to the OP question...Sounds reasonable. I'd have doubt that any man of the cloth who saw the literal embodiment of their god just give them the middle finger, and condemn them to eternal torture and torment...Well... Let's just say, they'd either really need to exercise mental gymnastics, and rationalize it as not being their god, or they will come out the other side....worse for wear.

Although, I could easily see this being a reaffirming experience, if you get resurrected. "It was all a test." Funny thing about dogma is that you just need to flex a little and you'll get the interpretation you want.

Yeah I agree, I'll go and see what is going on, RP the pain and suffering and anger of isolation from my god. We'll see how it turns out. If it is a test of faith then I can see how that goes.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-03, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure this direction will cause the other players to leaveYou know your table best. If that's the case, it's a bad idea. Not worth breaking up the group to try something that "sounds interesting".

If you're hooked on the idea... try asking the DM and the other players about it, out of character. They're the one's who's opinions actually matter at your table. If they're all game, fine, go for it. If they're not... well, now you know, rather than just being "pretty sure".