PDA

View Full Version : Fixed List Casters - Divine Edition

tedcahill2
2019-04-03, 08:11 PM
Fixed list caster were possibly some of the most well done caster classes because if their niche abilities compared to general casters. Unless I missed something are their any divine fixed list casters? I was thinking of running a game with only fixed list casters but couldn't find any divine ones.

Thurbane
2019-04-03, 08:23 PM
Spirit Shaman - sort of (but not really).

I mean, technically Druids and Clerics are "fixed list", but I'm assuming you mean spontaneous casters like Beguiler, Dread Necro or Warmage...

tedcahill2
2019-04-03, 08:48 PM
I mean, technically Druids and Clerics are "fixed list", but I'm assuming you mean spontaneous casters like Beguiler, Dread Necro or Warmage...

Correct. Was the healer fixed list? But yeah Cleric, and Druid are really broad casters, they're fixed list but can effectively access every spell in the game.

Thurbane
2019-04-03, 09:03 PM
Correct. Was the healer fixed list? But yeah Cleric, and Druid are really broad casters, they're fixed list but can effectively access every spell in the game.

Healer uses same mechanics as Cleric (memorized): many people house-rule them a spontaneous fixed list casters, but by RAW, they aren't.

Saintheart
2019-04-03, 09:24 PM
If we're talking divine versions of sorcerers, then Favored Soul is basically this: operates just like a sorcerer but draws from divine spells instead.

Mystic out of the Dragonlance Campaign Setting is virtually the same (although I notice that a Mystic of the Sun domain - and only of the Sun domain - gets the power to turn undead, which could be handy for some sort of insane DMM build for them.)

frogglesmash
2019-04-03, 09:33 PM
If we're talking divine versions of sorcerers, then Favored Soul is basically this: operates just like a sorcerer but draws from divine spells instead.

Mystic out of the Dragonlance Campaign Setting is virtually the same (although I notice that a Mystic of the Sun domain - and only of the Sun domain - gets the power to turn undead, which could be handy for some sort of insane DMM build for them.)

"Fixed list caster" specifically refers to casters who spontaneously cast from a predetermined list of spells that they learn automatically. The Warmage, and the Dread Necromancer are both good examples, Sorcerers, and and Favored souls are not, as their spells known lists are customizable.

Psyren
2019-04-04, 12:06 AM
Closest you can probably get to this is Spontaneous Domain Casting and piling on as many domains as possible, e.g. Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative. Or just the Bonus Domain feat if epic is on the table.

Bphill561
2019-04-04, 12:52 AM
I guess the Divine Crusader would count from Complete Divine, with the ability to cast spells from one domain of choice. Not the most powerful class, but still 9th level spells over 10 levels.

Psyren
2019-04-04, 01:00 AM
I guess the Divine Crusader would count from Complete Divine, with the ability to cast spells from one domain of choice. Not the most powerful class, but still 9th level spells over 10 levels.

Problem is they're a prepared caster, so even with a single domain you still have to choose how many of a given spell (or metamagicked lower spell) you'll need to use your slots on. Very different dynamic than a Beguiler for example.

Maat Mons
2019-04-04, 01:28 AM
I was thinking of running a game with only fixed list casters

You're probably going to have to delve into homebrew.

Thurbane
2019-04-04, 01:39 AM
You're probably going to have to delve into homebrew.

Yep; and as I mentioned, it's extremely easy to homebrew the Healer as a spontaneous fixed list caster. The only issues is some consider this a downgrade, as they lose access to Sanctified spells.

Psyren
2019-04-04, 10:58 AM
Yep; and as I mentioned, it's extremely easy to homebrew the Healer as a spontaneous fixed list caster. The only issues is some consider this a downgrade, as they lose access to Sanctified spells.

Just include a clause that those are explicitly on their list, since you're homebrewing anyway :smallsmile:

Mike Miller
2019-04-04, 11:08 AM
Although not a fixed list caster, the Evangelist from dragon magazine casts spontaneously as a sorcerer and also gains extra domains.

gorfnab
2019-04-04, 10:19 PM
The Nightstalker from Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon is a fixed list spontaneous divine casting base class.