PDA

View Full Version : Does a Simulacrum have memories?

Dr.Samurai
2019-04-04, 09:40 AM
Basically what it says in the title; if you make a Simulacrum of someone, does it have their memories? Does it know their mannerisms and habits?

It knows their spells, but can't regain them. So just curious how this works. Thanks!

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-04, 12:31 PM
This RPG Stack Exchange question answers this specifically: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/106731/how-do-simulacra-behave

Basically, Simulacrum are identical to the copied creature, except for the fact that it MUST obey your commands and it MUST be friendly to you.

If you told it to "Act Natural" then it'd do so. However, if you told it to "Wait here until I come back", it'll do so until you do, and may dehydrate and die if it's never able to complete that task (like if you don't come back).

Rukelnikov
2019-04-04, 05:01 PM
This RPG Stack Exchange question answers this specifically: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/106731/how-do-simulacra-behave

Basically, Simulacrum are identical to the copied creature, except for the fact that it MUST obey your commands and it MUST be friendly to you.

If you told it to "Act Natural" then it'd do so. However, if you told it to "Wait here until I come back", it'll do so until you do, and may dehydrate and die if it's never able to complete that task (like if you don't come back).

A creature made of water dehydrating...

reminded me of this

https://g.rrrather.com/img/q/95862a.jpg

Zalabim
2019-04-05, 02:29 AM
My understanding is that the simulacrum copies the appearance and the statistics of the target humanoid or animal (i.E. only the things it says in the spell description.) It does not keep the memory or personality (like clone says), and it does not act independently (like a familiar does). It's probably safer this way. If you notice a simulacrum start showing signs of memory, personality, and independent action, consult the doctor, pharmacist, or apocalyptic prophet of your choice.

JoeJ
2019-04-05, 02:55 AM
I would say yes, it has the full memory of whomever you're copying. If it didn't, there wouldn't be much point in ever casting it; there would be no way a simulacrum could impersonate the person it's a copy of without knowing what they know.

Unoriginal
2019-04-05, 04:07 AM
Well, in Dragon Heist...

Manshoon can have a Simulacrum replace one of the party's member, and said Simulacrum would be played by the PC's player.

So it suggests the Simulacrum indeed has the memory of the creature it's simulating.

However, it's Manshoon we're talking about, and the module note that he's created at least one custom version of the spell.

Because Manshoon never learn, apparently.

Talionis
2019-04-06, 06:52 AM
The text of the spell conflicts so it will take some interpretation.

They definitely have memories and they can make enough new memories to interact properly with people and the environment.

They just have magical limitations that they cannot grow. So they are incapable of learning new skills gaining a level or even recovering spells.

They also have a magical limitation that they must obey you.

But to function in the environment and to pass themselves off as a person they have at least some memories. They know how to talk. They remember what people say to be able to respond to questions.

Each DM needs to fill the gaps in on this spell and it is designed to be a signature powerful spell for a Wizard like Find Steed is for a Paladin.