PDA

View Full Version : Legal familiars

stewstew5
2019-04-04, 10:41 AM
Some creatures, such as the Gazer or Imp, have a note saying they can choose to serve as a familiar for a spellcaster. What is every official creature to note this? I’ve encountered a few others but I cannot recall what they were

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-04, 10:50 AM
Some creatures, such as the Gazer or Imp, have a note saying they can choose to serve as a familiar for a spellcaster. What is every official creature to note this? I’ve encountered a few others but I cannot recall what they were

There's the Pseudodragon and...I think one other.

Snowbluff
2019-04-04, 10:52 AM
As far as AL goes, Fazer is a DM reward and I got a Tressym cert from Fai Chen.

Wildarm
2019-04-04, 11:27 AM
Volo's Guide to Monsters lists a few more. All up to the DM to allow. In general as I DM I generally allow any CR0 Tiny Beast to be a potential familiar. Anything not listed in the spell can permanently die or can leave if mistreated.

At higher tiers players could go on a quest for an improved familiar:

Tier 2 Tiny Beast/Monster CR 1/2
Tier 3 Tiny/Small Beast/Monster/Abberation CR1
Tier 4 Any CR2 Creature

For AL, it's what is listed in the spell or class feature or if you have a specific cert.

Vogie
2019-04-04, 11:30 AM
I mean, she said she was 18!

There's the Pseudodragon and...I think one other.

Quasit & Sprite are the other normally-warlock-only familiars. I don't have my MM on me to see if they have the sidebar, though...

Snowbluff
2019-04-04, 11:39 AM
I mean, she said she was 18!

Sir, you're under arrest for familiar abuse. :smalltongue:

Rerem115
2019-04-04, 06:01 PM
I remember one DM who would allow any Tiny creature as a familiar, provided you could diplomatically convince it. I don't think he ever forgave us for critting that Persuasion check on the Demilich, and I KNOW he never forgave us for naming it Bob.

bc56
2019-04-04, 06:32 PM
In addition to Gazer, Tomb of Annihilation allows players to take an Almiraj or a Flying Monkey

Whit
2019-04-04, 07:55 PM
I would be convinced by a player fir any similar creature type as long as it follows same stats and abilities as the originals. Monkey, pig etc. Work it out with dm. But DONT get any of the specials which is warlock only. Defeats purpose especially if there is a warlock. I believe YouTube nerdarchy talked about it. Good to check out

nickl_2000
2019-04-04, 09:22 PM
Sir, you're under arrest for familiar abuse. :smalltongue:

Are you saying he was getting to familiar with his familiar?

Millstone85
2019-04-05, 06:17 AM
The game has four different sets of rules regarding familiars. Which is way too much, and confusing.

Individual monster sidebars.

What this thread is about.

In the MM, I know of the imp, pseudodragon, and quasit. Not the sprite.

In VGtM, there is only the gazer.

I don't own any of the adventures that offer other options.

The find familiar spell, alone.

Just the list of creatures in that spell.

The find familiar spell, plus the Pact of the Chain feature.

The default list plus the imp, pseudodragon, quasit, and sprite.

The find familiar spell, plus the NPC sidebar.

Any creature of size Tiny. So there could be a demilich familiar. :-p

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-05, 06:47 AM
Every time I see this thread title, I picture a character with a lawyer for a familiar.

nickl_2000
2019-04-05, 06:51 AM
Every time I see this thread title, I picture a character with a lawyer for a familiar.

So, an imp in a three piece suit with a briefcase and glasses?

Millstone85
2019-04-05, 06:56 AM
So, an imp in a three piece suit with a briefcase and glasses?https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yNIsC01F--/c_scale,dpr_2.0,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_40,w_400/ficdilyvsfiwigskb8ob.jpg

noob
2019-04-05, 04:28 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yNIsC01F--/c_scale,dpr_2.0,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_40,w_400/ficdilyvsfiwigskb8ob.jpg

The poor creature: it is trapped in an administration.
I hope some good heroes will come and free it: nobody deserves this.

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-05, 04:33 PM
So, an imp in a three piece suit with a briefcase and glasses?

Or a pseudodragon with an amicus brief.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yNIsC01F--/c_scale,dpr_2.0,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_40,w_400/ficdilyvsfiwigskb8ob.jpg

PERFECT.

Vogie
2019-04-08, 02:11 PM
I was just flipping through Volo's and I see there's a note in the Appendix about Familiars:

Any spellcaster that can cast the find familiar spell (such as an apprentice, warlock, or wizard) is likely to have a familiar. The familiar can be one of the creatures described in the spell (see the Player's Handbook) or some other Tiny monster, such as a cranium rat, a crawling claw, a gazer, an imp, a pseudodragon, or a quasit.
Emphasis mine.
So, there's two more options.

Millstone85
2019-04-08, 02:29 PM
So, there's two more options.I believe those are just examples. DMs are invited to use any Tiny monster as a familiar.

I choose you, Demilichu!

JakOfAllTirades
2019-04-08, 02:51 PM
So... are there any stats for a Jackelope in 5E yet?

http://ldra.net/php-monster/img/03beast/20060225jackrobe.jpg

Daithi
2019-04-08, 04:53 PM
So... are there any stats for a Jackelope in 5E yet?

See his cousin, the Almiraj.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-04-08, 05:25 PM
See his cousin, the Almiraj.

That's in one of the adventures, yes? I usually write my own rather than buy WOTC's stuff but I'll see if I can find a stat block at D&DB or something.

snafuy
2019-05-03, 08:05 AM
LIST OF FAMILIAR OPTIONS STATED IN OFFICIAL BOOKS

STANDARD: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, weasel

ADVENTURES: almiraj, flying monkey, tressym

VARIANT (weak): cranium rat, crawling claw

VARIANT (strong): gazer, imp, pseudodragon, quasit, sprite

All of the standard & adventure familiars are CR 0 beasts. Most of them are tiny, but a few are small (e.g. octopus). The variants include non-beasts up to CR 1.

Based on those benchmarks, other possibilities in decreasing order of game balance:

ABSOLUTELY: badger, scorpion

MAYBE ALSO: awakened shrub, baboon, eagle, fire beetle, flying snake, homunculus, jackal, myconid sprout, poisonous snake, stirge

MAYBE NOT: blood hawk, flumph, giant rat, manes, neogi hatchling, oblex spawn, slaad tadpole, twig blight, velociraptor

MAYBE CHAINLOCK: boggle, faerie dragon (red), quickling, vargouille

I'D SAY NO: chwinga, faerie dragon (other colors), pixie, young kruthik, any humanoid, anything tiny above CR 1, anything small above CR 1/8, anything medium or larger