PDA

View Full Version : A very powerful intelligent weapon

CopperElfCleric
2019-04-04, 12:30 PM
Hey folks... I was wondering... If I create a very powerful intelligent sword using the 3.5ED rules, do I have to give the sword an Ego, or can I skip that part of the process? So it'll have four lesser powers and three greater powers, a purpose and a special purpose dedicated power. I would like to stop there. Do I really need to give the sword a Ego?

Thank you in advance.

CEC.

Cicciograna
2019-04-04, 12:54 PM
Intelligent items have an ego score, but you could decide that it's not influent and the item is instead very docile and never contradict the user.

Anymage
2019-04-04, 01:50 PM
Are you asking this as a DM making an item for one of your players, or is your character making the item for himself/an ally?

In both cases the answer is that the Ego stat is an inherent part of any intelligent item, but since you're making the item specifically for a given character, it's trivial to create it with a compatible alignment and outlook. So long as the item and the character are in accord, there's no reason to have a personality conflict and thus there's no reason for dominance contests and the Ego score to ever be relevant.

The Kool
2019-04-04, 02:23 PM
As was pointed out, Ego score is not a thing you give it. Ego score is a function of how strong it is. Every intelligent item has one, but if the item is compatible with the wielder and remains so it'll never come up. This might be achieved by having an item with no goals or strong opinions of its own, but that's a cheapskate way out and won't feel like an intelligent item.

CopperElfCleric
2019-04-05, 01:48 PM
Okay, thank you all very much. I have a better idea on how to create the sword for the PC.

noob
2019-04-05, 05:38 PM
Make of it a rod?

Tube Wizard
2019-04-06, 08:57 PM
I suppose that ultimately, it's your decision to make.

CopperElfCleric
2019-04-08, 07:02 PM
Under; Slay arcane spellcasters (including spellcasting monsters and those that use spell-like abilities)... Would this include demons, devils, slaadi, etc, etc?

Under; Slay divine spellcasters (including divine entities and servitors)... Would this include deities and demi-gods?

noob
2019-04-09, 08:16 AM
Under; Slay arcane spellcasters (including spellcasting monsters and those that use spell-like abilities)... Would this include demons, devils, slaadi, etc, etc?

Under; Slay divine spellcasters (including divine entities and servitors)... Would this include deities and demi-gods?

Probably yes for the second because most of those creature have divine spellcasting.
For the first it depends whenever those creatures you mentioned are declared as having arcane spellcasting or if their slas counts as being arcane.(if neither of those are mentioned then they are not targets of interest for the magical item unless most of them are in strong cooperation with arcane stuff)
However an intelligent magical item can be aware it can not beat everything without a plan and can think "I am not going to kill the gods now. I need something to weaken them. Instert clause X about your cosmology (for example if in your cosmology loss of worship weaken a god then the magical item could start planning a way to make people stop worshiping their gods also technically you killed all the divine spellcasters if all the current ones lost their divine spellcasting and that you kill the last divine spellcaster which did not lose its casting)"
But if your intelligent magical item have stuff like the "reckless" flaw or other kinds of flaws that can hamper the ability to make reasonable plans then the intelligent magical item will have a very dangerous life.

The Kool
2019-04-09, 09:39 AM

If you want. Remember those are a list of suggestions. If you think a broader categorization would fit your game better, then do so.