PDA

View Full Version : Minor Alchemy Duration

sdakendall
2019-04-04, 11:49 PM
So I noticed something odd while reading this feature. The duration reads: After 1 hour, or until you loose your concentration...

The first time I read this I thought “So it lasts for one hour max, but ends early if you loose concentration” but the more I read it the more it actually seems to mean “It is guaranteed to last for one hour, but can last longer if you maintain concentration”

Anywhere else I can find concentration wording with a limited duration, it always says “Concentration, up to X time” or something similar. It presents it without any sort of “either or” language. The feature also allows for situations where performing the procedure can actually take longer than an hour.

RAW, both readings are correct so it seems like this is entirely a GM ruling situation. I personally feel like the one hour minimum reading makes the feature way more fun and allows it to be used a lot more tactically without being broken, but are there any situations where this may cause serious problems?

JackPhoenix
2019-04-05, 12:09 AM
It lists two different conditions that ends the duration. The duration will end when one of them comes true, doesn't matter which one.

sdakendall
2019-04-05, 12:26 AM
It lists two different conditions that ends the duration. The duration will end when one of them comes true, doesn't matter which one.

Yes, that’s one way it can be read. It’s also probably the most commonly read version, but it’s not the only correct reading.

After 1 hour, or until you loose your concentration [whichever comes first]

And

After 1 hour, or until you loose your concentration [whichever lasts longer]

Are both valid statements. Since neither qualifier actually exists, the statement is ambiguous. Room for interpretation exists from table to table without a difinitive correct reading.

Using the second reading, this ability allows for some creative preparation earlier in the day, but since it uses up your concentration slot it cripples your effectiveness as a caster (enough in my opinion) until you choose to release the effect. That limitation keeps the ability balanced to me.

Can anyone think of any reason that an unlimited duration until concentration is broken version would be disruptive enough to not allow it?