PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Selecting NPC’s for a bank heist

Gydian
2019-04-05, 09:06 AM
I’m running a modern 5e game where my players are going to run into a bank that’s in the middle of being robed. I have a party of five players all level 3.

What monster stat blocks from MM, Voloe’s, MToF, or elsewhere do you guys suggest I use for the various bank robbers?

Second; what magical safeguards could there be in the bank for the robbers overcome, which might also impede the players?

Does anyone have any movies in mind that I can take inspiration from?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-05, 10:27 AM
I’m running a modern 5e game where my players are going to run into a bank that’s in the middle of being robed. I have a party of five players all level 3.

What monster stat blocks from MM, Voloe’s, MToF, or elsewhere do you guys suggest I use for the various bank robbers?

Second; what magical safeguards could there be in the bank for the robbers overcome, which might also impede the players?

Does anyone have any movies in mind that I can take inspiration from?

Not a movie, but a book.

Read up on the Dresden Files book: Skin Game. It's all about a group of supernatural (and some mundane) people robbing a vault of Hades for the Holy Grail.

The cast includes:

Dresden (Detective, Wizard, now basically a Warlock of the Winter Fey)
Michael (a Holy Knight, basically King Arthur levels of holy bullsh*t)
A Behemoth-like monster that is permanently invisible and magic resistant.
A Skin Walker.
2 Fallen Angels.
What's effectively a Necromancer who arms his minions with automatic weapons.
The Necromancer's Apprentice
A Cop with experience with supernatural things (who gets benched after getting her leg broken by one of the Fallen Angels).

Unoriginal
2019-04-05, 10:34 AM
Are we talking about the "open assault" kind of bank heist, or the "infiltration no one is supposed to find out happened until way later unless something goes wrong" kind?

Vogie
2019-04-05, 10:58 AM
It really depends on the type of heist. There's the Full force Bank Heist (a la The Dark Knight, Inside Man), a complex multi-faceted heist (Mr. Robot, Den of Thieves), or One where Hijinks ensue (Take the Money and Run, the opening scene of The Blacklist Season 6 Episode 1)

Gydian
2019-04-05, 09:47 PM
I decided that a mage was hired to create a maze in the front of the bank and I pulled monsters out of the MM and through them at the players. Don't through a CR 10 at a party of 5 level 3.