PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Stoneage

liquidformat
2019-04-05, 10:42 AM
Hi all, I am looking at doing a stoneage/worldbuilding E6 campaign, with low to no magic and wanted to get the communities thoughts and insights. This game will take place in a more or less virgin world that is at its beginning with no clear gods and no understanding of magic at the beginning of it at least. One of the big things that struck me is the fact that it will make crafting a lot more important since you can't just go out and buy or trade for what you want. I figured getting some advice from people around the playground was a good idea. So far I have been scratching my head playing around with what crafting skills will be available and how they will work.

Craft (rope): make rope.

Craft (weaving): make baskets, shoes, nets, ropes, mats...

Craft (Napping): Weapons and tools made from sharpening stones
(may or may not cover methods to haft)

Craft (weaponsmithing/weapon making): napping, heat tempering, hafting, and other methods of attaching one thing to another to enhance ability to kill/maim/injure more efficiently!
(maybe making bows, and other tools covered by napping.)

Craft (armorsmithing/armor making): all processes involved in making leather/hide armor (scraping, boiling, tanning) making armor out of other things (rope, bone, bark,shells, leaves, chitin, wicker)
(maybe covers making other products with above items)

Craft (leatherworking): making leather products of all kinds including leather/hide armor, tents, and clothing.

Craft (woodworking/carpentry): housing, wood bows (maybe not the sinew for string?), heat hardening wood, making wood shafts and hafts for weapons and tools, wood tools.

Craft (Bower): making bows out of a variety of materials, bow strings, and arrows. (possibly glues, halfing, and napping, leather working to make bow string and sinew for arrows).

Craft (trap making): pit traps, snares, stone traps, dead falls...
(maybe making sub-components like ropes, sharpened/hardened sticks... which might open up trap making into a super craft skill)

Craft (herbalism): mixing herbs together to make tonics, medicine, balms, poisons, and antitoxins.
(maybe identifying herbs and how to handle them, make some alchemical items)

Craft (apothecary): mixing ingredients together to make tonics, medicine, balms, antitoxins, and poisons. (maybe identifying ingredients (such as herbs, materials, venomous, and poisonous animal and how to handle them), make some alchemical items)

Craft (poison making): making and extracting poisons and venoms as well as identifying poisonous/venomous plants, animals, and materials, and how to handle them. As well as making antidotes/antitoxins.

I will be using the rules from A&EG and pulling some weapons like the sabertooth tiger skull into martial weapons since metal won't be available.

Albions_Angel
2019-04-05, 11:02 AM
I ran something like this. Designed it for 3rd, converted it for 5th. I dont have it on me right now but...

No Wizards. Or any class that requires a book to work. Sorcerers are magical kings. Heavily push the Spirit Shaman and Favoured Soul too. Clerics are allowed, but all deities are very simple. Deities are in fact spirits. One per domain. Clerics now pick 2 spirits they align with (to get their 2 domains).

Warlocks are... tricky. They might take some refluffing to make them more nature/spirit themed. For sure allow Binders (ToM) and Incarnum classes.

Give martials some love. As well as using the rules from the A&EG, also throw in some different tools, and give people a starter kit, not an amount of starting gold.

Full BAB characters get their choice of 2 simple weapons, simple armour, and 1 martial weapon/advanced armour.
3/4 BAB characters get their choice of 1 simple weapon and one martial weapon and simple armour
1/2 BAB characters get 1 simple weapon.

Advanced weapons/armour have the start of metals in them. A metal knife or spear, studded armour.
Simple weapons are literally everything else.

Metal weapons have 19-20 crit range
Obsidian/Flint weapons have x3 crit
Stone weapons are normal.

liquidformat
2019-04-05, 11:20 AM
I was actually thinking of more or less running it as a series of one shots that would be the evolution of tribe. To start out only wilderness rogue, scout, barbarian, and maybe ranger.

One of the ideas is having 'gods' among us, so the original dragon god will be a progressed gargantuan wyvern another is a Gargantuan treant and so forth. A lot of the potential story lines would be quests for gods you have made friendly contact with to learn the secrets of becoming different classes that would be 'unlocked' for the next one shot. Like having a queenmab style petal who along with her minions play tricks on the pcs and might be able to teach them a thing or two about the path of savage bards...