PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Armiger not proficient? (Spheres of might)

arkangel111
2019-04-05, 12:22 PM
I'm talking about the armiger from spheres of might.
Why is "A warrior trained in a variety of weapons, mastering different techniques with each, able to quickly bring the best tool to bear against her foes." NOT proficient with martial weapons? So we have a weapon master potentially roaming around the battlefield with FULL BAB and even heavy armor wielding nothing more than a club or a dagger? As far as I can tell the main ability of the class "customized weapons" cannot even be used except with simple weapons, since it never gives proficiency in your chosen weapon and in fact you MUST have proficiency for it to be used.
Admittedly you can grab some exotic weapons with some investment, but that makes it even weirder, I can wield a weapon that most characters can't touch but a simple sword is beyond my understanding???
Is this intentional or a design flaw? Are they too powerful to allow martial weapons?

exelsisxax
2019-04-05, 12:26 PM
You should finish reading spheres of might(maybe go back and start over it martial traditions are early) because armigers get a martial tradition for free and martial traditions include weapon proficiencies unless you try to avoid them.

arkangel111
2019-04-05, 12:54 PM
OIC, didn't realize those were giving any sort of proficiency. Why would the designers make it more complicated? simple martial weapon proficiency would make it much easier to pick up on the fly. not to mention some of the choices do kinda pigeon-hole you into a character concept you may not want. The character I am designing now is focused around being an @$$ in combat with boast and intimidation from the gladiator sphere, it would be great to get some talents from that sphere at character creation yet longsword is not part of the gladiator tradition. going knight gets the proficiency but comes with a bunch of crap that doesn't fit the concept, guess i'll have to do more research thanks for the help.

JerichoPenumbra
2019-04-05, 09:42 PM
Um... That's kinda the point? If you didn't notice, every class in spheres of might has the same starting proficiencies as each other. You're suppose to feel pigeon-holed because what you're character is trained in actually matters. A huntsman is suppose to feel different than a soldier. If you want different weapons, then spent a talent to learn them or just dip into conscript or fighter.

As for your issues about Gladiator, try going for the Duelist martial tradition to pick up Longsword and many other swords then make longsword one of your custom weapons at level one and choose the Gladiator sphere for it. Once you level up start taking Gladiator with your permanent talents and then use the customized weapon talents to branch out. Or try different flavorful weapons in the Gladiator Tradition that are close to what you want, like the Shotel.