PDA

View Full Version : What would a Half-Nymph, Night Hag look like? (And other questions)

BlueWitch
2019-04-05, 05:02 PM
As the title

What do you guy think a Half-Nymph, Night Hag would look like?

Bonus Questions:

If it were a Half-Succubus, Night Hag, would she look different than the Half-Nymph one?

I like merging "Ugly" things with Nymph's since they are supposed to be the personification of beauty.

Last Question:

What would a Succubus-Nymph hybrid be like? I would imagine she would be so beautiful, it hurt, rather than merely going blind. Like your whole body would shut down.

MisterKaws
2019-04-05, 05:25 PM

One of those cute smiley grandmas you get 10x/day on Imgur.

If it were a Half-Succubus, Night Hag, would she look different than the Half-Nymph one?

You don't wanna get into that territory.

What would a Succubus-Nymph hybrid be like? I would imagine she would be so beautiful, it hurt, rather than merely going blind. Like your whole body would shut down.

Yea I guess.

Âmesang
2019-04-05, 05:57 PM
If you took a literal approach I imagine it might resemble Hel (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd4/Hel_p181.jpg).

BlueWitch
2019-04-05, 06:15 PM
If you took a literal approach I imagine it might resemble Hel (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd4/Hel_p181.jpg).

That's actually awesome!

frogglesmash
2019-04-05, 07:04 PM
Maybe it would cancel out, and you'd get someone who looks completely unremarkable.

BlueWitch
2019-04-05, 07:49 PM
Maybe it would cancel out, and you'd get someone who looks completely unremarkable.

A friend of mine thought this too lmao.

Endril
2019-04-05, 08:55 PM
I googled half nymph half hag, and some of the half hag results I came up with aren't too far off from how I'd picture it. I think she would look both monstrous and alluring. https://lootthebody.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/changeling_girl.jpg

Remuko
2019-04-05, 11:56 PM
Last Question:

In 3.0 the Nymph had an ability that was Save or (literally) Die from how beautiful they are. I can imagine a Succubus/Nymph being that beautiful to have that ability tbh.

FaerieGodfather
2019-04-06, 01:20 AM
A Half-Nymph Hag is so beautiful that if you see her naked, you have to roll a Will Save or she'll bite your face off.

Jay R
2019-04-06, 11:27 AM
In my world, two females don't breed.

frogglesmash
2019-04-06, 11:33 AM

I mean, owls and bears don't breed either, but then wizards got involved.

Calthropstu
2019-04-06, 11:35 AM

Fair point. A nymph has to be female, and a hag has to be female.

As for what such a union would look like? Ash because I would set it on fire.

DrMotives
2019-04-06, 12:09 PM
I mean, owls and bears don't breed either, but then wizards got involved.

Wizards, living agents of Rule #34.

Also, Unapproachable East has a PC race called a hagspawn. The idea there is a hag uses illusion to seduce a human, if the child is female, she's a hag. Or will be at maturity, whatever. If a male, it's this +1 LA ugly man, looks kinda like a half-ogre, who is the hagspawn. So, if the hagspawn & a nymph procreated, (not a pretty picture), you'd almost have your nymph-hag.

BlueWitch
2019-04-06, 04:34 PM
I googled half nymph half hag, and some of the half hag results I came up with aren't too far off from how I'd picture it. I think she would look both monstrous and alluring. https://lootthebody.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/changeling_girl.jpg

I recently read about Changelings. She doesn't look half bad. But you have to wonder if she'd still look this cute as an adult since that's when the "Hag Side" kicks in. Would the Nymph side be enough to cancel the ugliness out? xD

As to the other posters; Yes, I am aware that Hags and Nymphs are all female, and hence, couldn't procreate. But I mean this more along the lines of magical fusion and what not.

VoltsofEight
2019-04-06, 09:04 PM
She would always look hot or weirdly hot. Like, I always thought Hags were ugly because they liked being ugly so they often chose to be the way they look. By that line of thought any child of theirs would look like they thought they looked. A self confidence thing until they pass puberty where it settles in but by then they could just magic however they wanted to look.

The nymph/succubus side is where the things would get weird. So there they would always be alluring. Something about them no matter how they think they look or want to look would prevent them from being too ugly. Like their eyes are always entrancing and not in the magical way or they would always have any hourglass shape or they might always be perfectly endowed physically not too much or too little. Etc...

At least until they used magic, but then it depends on the overall power of their parents. I would imagine a Nymph Queen's natural genetics would overpower most Hags bar Hag Queens/Gods.

ShurikVch
2019-04-07, 10:42 AM
As the title

What do you guy think a Half-Nymph, Night Hag would look like?The "Half-Nymph" is established template, which is applicable only to Humanoids
Night Hag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightHag.htm) is Outsider (and Hagspawn is Monstrous Humanoid)
Thus, no such thing

On the other hand, it's possible to make a Nymph with Half-Fiend (Night Hag) template - see the guidelines for altering the Half-Fiend template to specific fiends (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a)
IMHO, Half-Fiendish (Night Hag) Nymph would look either like a darker version of Half-Troll with smaller claws (Night Hag have no claw attack); or exactly like your average Nymph, because:
1) Female offspring of Night Hag, besides being dark-haired, is indistinguishable from others of her mate's species - until the despoiling rites performed
2) The "shadowchild" Half-Fiend variant (Book of Vile Darkness): "To all outward appearances, however, the shadowchild is a normal elf child." (Don't know if it should work for a non-Elf)

Bonus Questions:

I like merging "Ugly" things with Nymph's since they are supposed to be the personification of beauty.Check this (http://web.archive.org/web/20161101184250/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=3) - it have Half-Fiend (Succubus) Sea Hag; I think it wouldn't be too difficult to rework it from Sea Hag to Night Hag
Alternately, you may go with the "shadowchild" variant
Or use the Half-Fiend (Night Hag) on a Succubus

Mehangel
2019-04-07, 06:56 PM

In my world, nymphs are female satyrs, or satyrs are male nymphs. Such creatures undergo a dramatic transformation when they don a belt of masculinity/feminity.

Blue Jay
2019-04-08, 12:04 AM
As the title

Bonus Questions:

I like merging "Ugly" things with Nymph's since they are supposed to be the personification of beauty.

Last Question:

Well, if she's a PC, then she's going to be attractive. Because, let's face it, how often to people actually play unattractive female characters?

Social commentary aside, I'm a fan of nymphs, but I've never been a fan of Blinding Beauty: the concept there just doesn't really compute well in my mind. Being so pretty that you blind everyone who's attracted to you kind of seems like a self-defeating and not-Good thing to be. The nymph is the archetypal Good-aligned pretty girl, so her beauty ought to be used as an honest symbol of her Goodness, not a force of cruel irony and physical debilitation. I use a homebrew nymph that's focused on charm, morale and healing effects: kind of a blend of the Healer and Heartwarder classes, with a Charm Gaze and Unearthly Grace added in.

But, back on topic, whenever you've got an actual game mechanic that defines her as beautiful, then she almost has to be beautiful as long as she retains that mechanic. So, Blinding Beauty for a nymph, or Awesome Beauty for a half-nymph, pretty much requires her to be beautiful. And since the save DC's are Charisma-based, anything that boosts her Charisma (such as the Half-Fiend template) could be interpreted as enhancing her natural beauty, making it more potent.

On the other hand, if you combine the nymph with something that has an "ugly" mechanic (like the sea hag in the Half-Fiend article ShurikVch linked to), then you've got a bit of a quandary. If I remember right, I think that article talks about fluffing the contradiction as a limited shape-shifting ability, where she can alter her visage to look hideous or alluring when she wants to (the valkyries from Lost Girl might be a good analogy, if you're familiar; or perhaps the Japanese noppera-bo). You could also do something like make her look like a beautiful woman from the bust up, but beneath her skirt she's a horrible monster. I think there's a fair amount of precedent for that kind of thing in real-world mythology (like the glaistig).

Jay R
2019-04-09, 10:12 AM
In my world, nymphs are female satyrs, or satyrs are male nymphs. Such creatures undergo a dramatic transformation when they don a belt of masculinity/feminity.

Nothing wrong with inventing your own race with its own unique properties. I have several myself. And that sounds pretty good idea. But your homebrew race has nothing to do with the question about 3.5 races.

In my world, two females don't breed.I mean, owls and bears don't breed either, but then wizards got involved.

Actually, I've never accepted any theory of the origins of D&D species. Their arbitrariness makes pretty much any theory of evolution or creation merely a conglomerate of 1,000 special cases. Even if some wizards in the past had wanted to create a creature with the properties of owls and bears, I'm not sure sexual inbreeding would necessarily be the tool, rather than some form of polymorph.

But if they had wanted to create such a creature, and decided that interbreeding was the tool they would use, then they would have started with a male owl and a female bear. Because in my world, two females don't breed.

frogglesmash
2019-04-09, 11:25 AM
Actually, I've never accepted any theory of the origins of D&D species. Their arbitrariness makes pretty much any theory of evolution or creation merely a conglomerate of 1,000 special cases. Even if some wizards in the past had wanted to create a creature with the properties of owls and bears, I'm not sure sexual inbreeding would necessarily be the tool, rather than some form of polymorph.

But if they had wanted to create such a creature, and decided that interbreeding was the tool they would use, then they would have started with a male owl and a female bear. Because in my world, two females don't breed.

If scientists can get two mice of the same sex to reproduce through entirely mundane means, I see no reason wizards couldn't do something similar with the limitless cosmic power that they command.

CIDE
2019-04-10, 12:07 AM
I just wanted to toss in another option to replace the half-fiend or fiendish templates getting tossed around. Unholy Scion from Heroes of Horror is called out as either being possession OR progeny and easily fits a similar theme. It doesn't do anything with appearance so makes that sort of transition very easy to make

Crake
2019-04-10, 01:58 AM

Clearly the women in your world are all prudes for not thinking outside the box with transmutation magic.

Also, the BoEF has both spells and magic items for that.