PDA

View Full Version : The Twilight Zone (2019)

Magic_Hat
2019-04-05, 06:38 PM
So the Twilight Zone's been rebooted. I caught the first new episode "the Comedian." It's pretty good. Not great. I predicted the ending pretty early on. Still good though. The characters are fleshed out, and the arc is interesting. I like the symbolism of the episode as well as visuals. If the ending wasn't so predictable I'd rank it as great, but it still was eerie. Of course that's not to say the original series didn't have predictable endings in good episodes. "Eye of the Beholder" comes to mind.

CBS has the first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GO8-Rrn0g) episode on Youtube for free if you want to check it out.

One final thing - if Infinity War had the same premise I think I'd love that film.
Thanos kills half the universe with stand up comedy. I wanna see that movie.

ellenate
2019-04-06, 12:15 AM
So the Twilight Zone's been rebooted. I caught the first new episode "the Comedian." It's pretty good. Not great. I predicted the ending pretty early on. Still good though. The characters are fleshed out, and the arc is interesting. I like the symbolism of the episode as well as visuals. If the ending wasn't so predictable I'd rank it as great, but it still was eerie. Of course that's not to say the original series didn't have predictable endings in good episodes. "Eye of the Beholder" comes to mind.

CBS has the first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GO8-Rrn0g) episode on Youtube for free if you want to check it out.

One final thing - if Infinity War had the same premise I think I'd love that film.

Just watched it.

30min format would've helped it, since there were no twist, and the plot was pretty much laid bare from the 10min mark. Other than that, standard twilight zone.

Olinser
2019-04-06, 12:28 AM

I love the idea of Twilight Zone, and actually have DVDs of the entire original series. It's amazing how many episodes still hold up 60 years later.

I also categorically REFUSE to subscribe to CBS' crappy streaming service just for it. So looks like pirate or wait for it to come out in a different location for me.

tomandtish
2019-04-07, 03:00 PM
Friend of mine has CBS All-Access so I have caught the first episode. I agree with ellenate that it's enjoyable, but fairly predictable (at least the first episode).

Honestly my biggest complaint is Peele as the narrator. He's an excellent actor but his voice just doesn't seem to fit the mood they are going for. Michael Dorn or Tony Todd have more appropriate sounding voices.

Magic_Hat
2019-04-07, 03:23 PM
Honestly my biggest complaint is Peele as the narrator. He's an excellent actor but his voice just doesn't seem to fit the mood they are going for. Michael Dorn or Tony Todd have more appropriate sounding voices.

I think that's more an issue of he was trying to do a Rod Sterling impression and not using his own voice. The thing that bothered me most about his narration is in episode one he does the preface 10 minutes in - so basically we're brought out of the story to hear him talk.

tomandtish
2019-04-07, 06:03 PM
I think that's more an issue of he was trying to do a Rod Sterling impression and not using his own voice. The thing that bothered me most about his narration is in episode one he does the preface 10 minutes in - so basically we're brought out of the story to hear him talk.

Could be. We'll see when I watch the second episode.