PDA

View Full Version : One handed games

Astral Avenger
2019-04-05, 07:24 PM
Hi playground,
I am looking for games that I can play with only my left hand (just broke my right arm in a bike crash :smallfrown:). Currently thinking KSP and Civ 5 will be reasonable. Any other suggestions?

Happy Gaming,
Astral

Narkis
2019-04-05, 09:28 PM
Civ 5 (and the rest, obviously. 4 is my favourite) would work, but KSP probably wouldn't. You need to steer the rocket with the mouse and use the keyboard for various things at the same time.

Other than Civ, you could try just about any turn based game. In no specifc order there's Into the Breach, Galactic Civilizations 3, Endless Space 2, , Endless Legend, Age of Wonders 3, Heroes of Might and Magic (I recommend 5 of the series), King's Bounty, Battletech, Xcom 1 and 2, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, and many, many others that I can't quite recall at the moment.

Most of Paradox's games, like Europa Universalis 4 or Crusader Kings 2 would work to. They are not turn based though, so you would have to go into the options and turn on auto-pause for absolutely everything. Stellaris is the only exception, as it doesn't have quite as many autopause options.

Rynjin
2019-04-06, 03:59 AM
Most turn based RPGs are fine. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc.

You could also take this opportunity to learn to play Dark Souls with a DDR dance pad or something.

Triaxx
2019-04-06, 06:07 AM
Dwarf Fortress can be played entirely with the keyboard, and paused any time at the tap of the spacebar so it's perfectly one-hand functional.

danzibr
2019-04-06, 06:18 AM
Also, if you're into this sort of things, I play most of my phone games left-handed (despite being right-handed).

zlefin
2019-04-06, 06:33 AM
in most mobas, there are a small number of heroes that can be played effectively with just one hand. e.g. sniper and skeleton king in dota
likewise for actiony rpg games. eg summoner necro in diablo 2

Arutema
2019-04-06, 08:26 AM
EVE Online can be played entirely using the mouse.

Bastian Weaver
2019-04-06, 08:45 AM
What kind of games do you like?
Technobabylon is an awesome cyberpunk point-and-click adventure.
Hard West is a turn-based mystic western with X-COM-like combat.
SteamWorld Heist is another turn-based one, with robots in space! Funny, with great soundtrack, easily controlled by mouse alone.

Lethologica
2019-04-06, 09:12 AM
Anything turn-based (e.g. Hearthstone, Divinity Original Sin, XCOM) or point-and-click (e.g. Papers Please, FTL). Any visual novel or text adventure. Telltale games. Management games (Sims, roller coaster tycoon, football manager, civ, etc.).

Stepmania, or whatever its modern equivalent is, only takes one hand. (Well, I'm sure there are tracks for two hands, but that's not at all necessary.)

N-game can be played with one hand with the appropriate key bindings. The same goes for some Space Invaders-style rail shooters and some Sonic games.

Most mobile games are designed to make one hand play possible.

The Jackbox party game series is mostly a one-handed affair.

That's all I can think of for now.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-06, 09:51 AM
I've been playing a lot of GalCiv2, because it's easy to interrupt to deal with family things, and I can do it mostly with my mouse.

danzibr
2019-04-06, 11:33 AM
You know, I used to wonder... what about controllers that use all 5 digits? Would take some getting used to, but your pinky and ring finger could totally push buttons.

Draconi Redfir
2019-04-06, 02:16 PM
i vaguely recall playing "this war of mine" with nothing but the mouse. Might have used WASAD or the arrow keys to move the camera around, but moving the mouse to the end of the map would do that too. and you never really need to look away from who you're controlling for long.

Astral Avenger
2019-04-06, 07:02 PM
Thank you all so much! I think with all your recommendations I'm set for the next 4-8 weeks worth of recovery. :smallbiggrin:

JNAProductions
2019-04-07, 08:06 PM
Most turn based RPGs are fine. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc.

You could also take this opportunity to learn to play Dark Souls with a DDR dance pad or something.

I second this!

Excession
2019-04-07, 08:24 PM
XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2 can both be played with just a mouse. They're turn based, so you don't need to be particularly good with the mouse either.

Divinity Original 2 (or earlier games) would be fine as well, combat is turn based and movement outside of that doesn't need to be precise.

Aspheric
2019-04-07, 10:22 PM
You have plenty of suggestions at this point, but since you seem to be looking for strategy games, I'd recommend you check out Into the Breach, if you haven't already. If you want something more RPGish, and are into Cyberpunk, I really recommend the Shadowrun games, Dragonfall or Hong Kong is probably your best bet.

In any event, hope you get well soon!

5crownik007
2019-04-07, 11:03 PM
Not really a game, but you could just fly around in Space Engine. Explore the universe.

Since its not really reflex based, you could "play" it 1 handed, even though you might need to move your hand between keyboard and mouse.