PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wizardly Advice

KyleG
2019-04-05, 07:43 PM
I wont to build a big, clumsy wizard, ostracized, and possibly a little bitter. The idea is only just taking shape and wanted your thoughts
The two races I am looking at are a below and with possible builds.
Goliath (14+2/8/15+1/15/8/10)
Loxodon (14/8/15+2/15/8+1/10)

He wouldn't be inherently evil but could harbor a dark spot that could grow. (can i track this? assign points on a scale myself based on what he is doing? Would that be tedious or intriguing?)

For the school i was thinking Necromancy as a possible reason for the ostracized status, but Im open to other schools (perhaps ostracized because he was clumsy in the library or something), particularly because i don't want him to be a hardcore summoner of armies, that isnt his style.

So regarding this wizardly aspect what are your thoughts on build/school/path etc?

One other thing im curious about is whether i can find a way to utilize that large strength score without multiclassing. Should i carry a weapon without proficiency just to bring it out randomly to strike at enemies if they close to melee? As a goliath i could see it being part of his culture to always carry his this weapon even if it doesn't follow his career path.

Please weigh in with your thoughts. I know the races offer nothing for a wizard but i want to create this character with this big clumsy aspect yet highly intelligent our of character for their race.

Aquillion
2019-04-06, 12:45 PM
Some thoughts:

1. You're proficient with quarterstaves. Held in two hands, with 16 strength, they'll make you a decent melee character first the first few levels as long as you keep Mage Armor up. Shield can also help keep you alive. You might ask your DM if you can eventually acquire a Staff of Power. Later on you could throw up a few other non-concentration self-buffs, like Mirror Image.

2. I wouldn't track your "evil score" or anything like that. Do what makes a good story based on how things are going in play.

3. If you intend to wade into melee sometimes, Abjuration is a good choice of school due to its shield.

4. Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade could make your melee attacks relevant for a bit longer. Despite the names, they work with quarterstaves just fine.

KyleG
2019-04-06, 02:09 PM
Some thoughts:

1. You're proficient with quarterstaves. Held in two hands, with 16 strength, they'll make you a decent melee character first the first few levels as long as you keep Mage Armor up. Shield can also help keep you alive. You might ask your DM if you can eventually acquire a Staff of Power. Later on you could throw up a few other non-concentration self-buffs, like Mirror Image.

2. I wouldn't track your "evil score" or anything like that. Do what makes a good story based on how things are going in play.

3. If you intend to wade into melee sometimes, Abjuration is a good choice of school due to its shield.

4. Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade could make your melee attacks relevant for a bit longer. Despite the names, they work with quarterstaves just fine.

Im now thinking more that the strength will just be an OOC factor. This is a guy practicing what he learns not capitalizing on his innate strength. If I went down the necromancer route I would have some spells permanently prepared and these would be those that might send him down a dark path if he comes to rely on them. But I have been considering Enchantment if I went Loxodon...maybe he gets carried away and has been enchanting people and that's why he gets ostracized. I don't feel that works so well with the Goliath option but Im now thinking Necromancer might be rough to play without summoning lots.

CTurbo
2019-04-06, 03:34 PM
I love the idea of a Goliath Wizard or Sorcerer. Stone's Endurance will help with holding concentration spells, and add some much needed toughness. As mentioned above, Quarterstaff + Booming Blade would make you decent in melee if you NEED to be.

I would probably go for Evocation since it's kinda the "power" Wizard school or Abjuration since it's kinda the "tough" Wizard school.

KyleG
2019-04-06, 05:03 PM
I love the idea of a Goliath Wizard or Sorcerer. Stone's Endurance will help with holding concentration spells, and add some much needed toughness. As mentioned above, Quarterstaff + Booming Blade would make you decent in melee if you NEED to be.

I would probably go for Evocation since it's kinda the "power" Wizard school or Abjuration since it's kinda the "tough" Wizard school.

yeah that Stone's Endurance looks cool. But the Loxodon Armor option 12+con looks good too.
The schools are great schools but I still feel the school should reflect his "otherness" pushing him even further from his race/colleagues.

ImproperJustice
2019-04-06, 05:28 PM
Summoning could be an interesting build, especially with some of the riskier options from Xanathar’s.

KyleG
2019-04-06, 06:26 PM
No doubt but between the dm and I its not our thing at least on normal undead army scales.