PDA

View Full Version : Breaking concentration (other than damage)

Aaedimus
2019-04-05, 07:49 PM
So, we all know the rules for concentration checks caused by damage, or other DM dependent events. How else can concentration on spells be severed?

This post is meant to parallel the current post about wall of force. That discussion currently is debating whether or not there are spells that can effect a creature within a wall of force, and if that creature or area is a valid target.

So, if you are concentrating on:
Heat metal
Phantasmal Force
Bless
Polymorph
Mindspike

Does concentration break:
-If they walk into a room and close the door
-If they walk outside of the spell's in burial casting range? (Witch bolt is the only spell I believe that directly addresses this)
-if you leave the range of your illusion?
-if they teleport
-if they become ethereal
-if they gate to another plane
-if a wall of force is cast around them
-if a force forcecage is cast around them

I would personally rule that the only one of these that breaks the concentration is possibly gating to another plane. I've been hearing of DMs that disagree, and I think it's due to rules they carry over from other editions.

Force Cage for example says it's "blocking any spells cast into or out of the area" which to me says if it's already there the cage doesn't sever the connection, only that it blocks new spells from being cast.

Rule lawyers jury and experts, I look forwards to your clarification and input.

Lunali
2019-04-05, 08:13 PM
None of these should break concentration, though some might end the effect of the spell if the spell says something to that effect, such as witch bolt.

In particular, mind spike says that you know the targets location only if they are on the same plane of existence, implying that the rest of the spell is still in effect if they are not.

Wuzza
2019-04-05, 08:38 PM
Concentration should break if the character sees a particularly sexy halfling.

Well, I suppose you can allow them to make a save. :smallbiggrin:

Aaedimus
2019-04-05, 08:40 PM
None of these should break concentration, though some might end the effect of the spell if the spell says something to that effect, such as witch bolt.

In particular, mind spike says that you know the targets location only if they are on the same plane of existence, implying that the rest of the spell is still in effect if they are not.

I 100% agree with your interpretation of the rules, however in this post:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584857-Wall-of-force-and-spell-concentration

And in a game I recently played, there are DMs that don't, and I'd like to hear their reasoning