PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Monk Centaur is unreasonable?

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-04-05, 11:02 PM
I was thinking of rolling up a Kensei Centaur with the Mobile feat, but as I was mapping it out I realized I'd have a movement speed of 80ft if I made it to level 18. Even at level 4, upon taking the Mobile feat, I'd have a movement speed of 60.

Is this unreasonable? It kind of seems like it. Maybe I could just forgo the extra 10 ft from the feat? If no one else thinks it's over powered it sounds sick, but while being good is awesome, being Over powered is no fun.

I was thinking about being a sub optimal Strength Monk. While my AC would be lower from less Dex, very few things are going to be able to reach me anyway.

Obviously it only matters what the DM thinks, but how do you feel about this? Would it be Ok to keep the extra 10ft, or should I be a good sport and give it up.

My inspiration for this build is the Parthian calvary. I'd Charge in, flank them with my Lance (spear) then wheel around and dare them to chase me. Once they were too far away to harm my team mates I'd hit them with arrows. I know D&D doesn't really lend itself to archer calvary, but the mental image of me firing arrows behind me as I gallop away is too cool.

Torpin
2019-04-05, 11:06 PM
somehow you gotta get horseshoes of speed

Lunali
2019-04-05, 11:07 PM
Mechanically, the movement speed should be fine, if things can't catch you, others will be more obliging.

On a more practical level, if you're using normal miniatures, you can move up to 3 feet in a turn, this can be problematic depending on your play area.

Greenfaun
2019-04-05, 11:20 PM
I wouldn’t consider it OP at all. I mean, it isn’t even flight. An Aarakocra archer-build on dex fighter or ranger or even Kensei would be better at this same general strategy. I mean, arguably that just means aarakocra are OP, which is a statement I would mostly agree with, but I’m getting off the point...

Anyway, movement alone is a very situational advantage. If you’re in a narrow tunnel in an underground dungeon, or surrounded by icy difficult terrain and dangerously close to a cliff on the side of a mountain this advantage doesn’t even apply. Movement is nice, but at 60 per round that just means they have to Dash to catch you, so you win in the action economy, not that it’s completely impossible to catch you.

Centaurs SHOULD have a moderate advantage out on the open plain with lots of room to run. This sounds exactly right to me. It depends on your DM whether many of your encounters will actually be like that though.

Errata
2019-04-05, 11:30 PM
Too much movement speed is usually not that overpowering. It might be hard for anyone to hit you, but they can still hit your party. If they really needed to stop you, they could adapt. They can ready their action for when you're in range, for instance, so they can still hit you if they really want to, even if you have ways to avoid opportunity attacks. It can be a fun build, so if it appeals to you, go for it.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-05, 11:33 PM
Sounds reasonable to me, from an RP standpoint as well. "I'm big and a bit unwieldy, fairly easy to hit.. I'm going to get in, stab a fool, and get the frick out before they can hit me back."

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-04-06, 01:56 AM
Don't forget Step of the Wind as a bonus action. No Wizard would be safe from me. 180 ft of movement is almost too much to think about.

Errata
2019-04-06, 02:23 AM
Don't forget Step of the Wind as a bonus action. No Wizard would be safe from me. 180 ft of movement is almost too much to think about.

That sounds fun. Mage killer is a valid and useful specialization. It's not unstoppable. Once the Wizard knows what's up, they could prepare an action to interrupt your movement as soon as you're in range. As for getting into range that first round, other characters could teleport in range, and then just stay there because they're tanks. If they really like that role, they could get the feat to interrupt their casting. Being able to get into range of a mage fast is good, but swooping back out of range has its drawbacks.

Unoriginal
2019-04-06, 04:21 AM
Nothing OP about it. Remember you'd be in a pretty bad spot if you have to climb a cliff or similar, the Centaur's speed compensates for that.

Innocent_bystan
2019-04-06, 05:06 AM
I built a barbarian/monk more or less based around guerrilla tactics. Drunken Master/Ancestral Guardian. Run in, reckless attack, flurry, tag enemy with spirits, run out of range, laugh as the enemy now struggles to do any meaningful damage during their round. Repeat as needed. All attacks are fluffed as wrestling moves for extra win.