PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Psionic Fist: 1/3 Psionics Subclass (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-04-06, 12:46 AM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1v6r2Bt4)

Overall notes: I'm torn about the subclass having psi points vs. the subclass using ki points to power psionics. I figure the latter messes up game balance worse across low levels, and for high level games that use short rests (when the players actually have resources to spend on and get back from short rests).

Level
Talents Known
Disciplines Known
Psi Points
Psi Limit

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

19th

20th

Psionics
At 3rt level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to use powers.

Talents
You learn 2 psionic talents of your choice. You learn an additional psionic talent of your choice at 10th level.

Psionic Disciplines
At 3rd level, you know one psionic discipline of your choice. The Disciplines Known column of the Psionic Fist Psionics table shows when you learn more disciplines. In addition, whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one discipline you know with a different one of your choice.

Each discipline you learn as part of this subclass must be an Avatar or Immortal discipline.

Psi Points
The Psionic Fist Psionics table shows how many psi points you have to manifest your powers. To manifest a power, you must spend a number of psi points equal to the cost of the power and no higher than your remaining psi points and psi limit. You regain all expended psi points when you finish a long rest.

Psychic Focus
You can focus psionic energy on one of your psionic disciplines to draw ongoing benefits from it. As a bonus action, you can choose one of your psionic disciplines and gain its psychic focus benefit, which is detailed in that discipline’s description. The benefit lasts until you are incapacitated or until you use another bonus action to choose a different focus benefit. You can have only one psychic focus benefit at a time, and using the psychic focus of one discipline doesn’t limit your ability to use other disciplines.

Psionic Ability
Wisdom is your psionic ability for your psionic disciplines. You use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a psionic discipline or when making an attack roll with one.

Discipline Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Discipline Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

I've moved the bit explaining psionics into the spoiler. With both this subclass and my psychic warrior, I'm considering giving two disciplines to start. 1/3 casters start with 3 spells, but get exceptions to their school restrictions. these subclasses get psychic focus benefits, but don't get to take disciplines outside their restriction. And the discipline system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584600-Mystic-Psionics-Disciplines-Rebalance-(PEACH)) I'm expecting to be used with this is slowly trending toward fewer powers per discipline.

Mind Aid
Starting at 6th level, when you use the help action to aid another creature and they make an Acrobatics, Insight, Investigation, or Medicine check, they can add your wisdom modifier to their roll in addition to the normal effects of the help action.

A slightly different version of the ability I've practically been spamming in subclasses. I'm wondering if this is okay, or if I should go back to the previous "choose two; get proficiency; grant stronger help action for those two." Occurred to me while writing this: what about an ability letting a psionic character pass their psychic focus benefit to an ally?

Psionic Defense
At 11th level, your psionic capabilities have grown to the point they form a protective barrier around your body. While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 12 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.

Additionally, you gain resistance to psychic damage.

Slightly awkward, but I'm hoping this stops psionic fists from feeling like they have to know the disciple containing the power that works like a stronger mage's armor. Previous versions gave a larger AC bonus and an additional resistance to force damage.

Hostile Mind
From 17th level, attempting to manifest powers or cast spells on your mind is a dangerous ordeal. Whenever a creature targets you with a power or spell, you can spend 2 ki points to interfere with their power or spell as a reaction. The creature that targeted you with the power or spell must make a charisma saving throw against your discipline save DC. On a failed saving throw that creature takes to 1d4 psychic damage. You also add +1 to your AC bonus or saving throw against that power or spell

You can spend additional ki points when you use this ability. For every 2 additional ki points you spend the damage you deal increases by 1d4 and the bonus to your AC or saving throw increases by 1.

And something from the subclass that actually uses ki points. Again, defensive, so PCs can't stack it with offensive psionic powers to break anything.