PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Choice for Eldritch knight

Huskergamer
2019-04-06, 02:24 AM
Ok, so i have a very tanky lvl 9 eldritch knight build with 24 ac with +2 shield and +1 adamantine plate, wearing belt of giant str (21) and headband of int(19). I also happen to have a dragon slaying longsword i found but it doesnt require attunement.

str 21(18 without enhancement)
dex 10
con 18
int 19(14 without enhancement)
wis 12
cha 8

32 point buy was used.

Initiative:0
Passive Perception:15
" " Investigation: 18
" " Insight: 11
Proficient in Athletics, History, Intimidation, Investigation, and Perception.

The party currently has access to a shady underworld dealer who can somehow procure magic items for us if we pay him enough. I am trying to decide on what magic item i could possibly want since i'm considering dropping the belt of strength for something else, like maybe mantle of spell resistance.

Currently in our campaign this is my second character since my gnome ancestral guardian barbarian died when my warlock "ally" Dissonant whispered an umberhulk who was grappling me, and who happened to be standing near some loose earth.... you can imagine there wasnt much i could do while 80 feet underground after it died, and i had no way out (it kept going since it was hungry apparently). My warlock/sorc multiclassed "ally" has a distressing tendancy to do badly timed spells or just say **** it and fireball/lightning bolt spells and i get hit with the backlash. And yes, i have attempted to mitigate them with absorb elements but since half the time ive already used the spell Shield, i dont have a reaction to use. So i was looking into various spell resistance items or element resistance items. However my choices become frustrating because he uses both lightning and fire, and happens to have a staff of power which he uses to cast cone of cold.

Im already planning on increasing my armor + to +2 in the near future.
I have already read the eldritch knight guide, the Bellator Arcanus one, so If you have any suggestions for good magic items for eldritch knights (or ones that would help my me with my "ally") other than those suggested in there i Would appreciate it.

Yuroch Kern
2019-04-06, 09:54 PM
So, one item? For defense, an energy resistant item would be good for you, like Boots of the Winterlands. If your buddy is aware of your resistance, it might help him use certain spells with more confidence. If you go weapon, a magic spear would give you melee and ranged capability along with Bonded Weapon. A more esoteric resistance item is Brooch of Shielding, for that elusive Force resistance.

CTurbo
2019-04-07, 01:13 PM
Well first of all you need to talk to your Warlock buddy about the issue no matter what.

But about your build, if your AC is already 24, I don't think I'd ever use Shield except for in emergencies. I mean it's ok to get hit sometimes, and with an AC that high, you shouldn't be getting hit too often. Other than the simple Armor of Resistance, which only gets you resistance to a single damage type, I'm not aware of any magic items that covers multiple elements. I think Absorb Elements is your best use of your reaction. I'd definitely take Res(Wis) and Shield Master at some point to boost probably your two most obvious weaknesses.

CheddarChampion
2019-04-07, 02:34 PM
Shield Master won't help more than absorb elements given the circumstances of your reaction being used often.

Resilient (wisdom) is very good but if you can't get the sorcerer-warlock to stop with the friendly fire, resilient (dexterity) might be a better choice. It will provide a passive buff to help you reduce the damage more often. Plus it will synergize with shield master (if you end up taking it).

strangebloke
2019-04-07, 05:01 PM
Ring of spell storing. Have your palladin cast find steed into it.

More seriously, I'd go for boots of flying. At your current level, nothing sucks worse than chucking cantrips because you can't get to the enemy.

CheddarChampion
2019-04-07, 08:27 PM
If you don't have warcaster and your DM is strict on somatic components, a ruby of the war mage might be nice.
A frost brand can give you fire resistance.
A spellguard shield will reduce your AC but really help with resisting magic.
A mantle of spell resistance will help with spells but not hurt your AC.
A ring of resistance or a ring of (choose a type) elemental command gives you resistance to a damage type. (Or immunity to fire with fire elemental command!)

furby076
2019-04-07, 09:19 PM
cloak of displacement. you wll waltz right into melee.

Honestly, with the powerful gear you have (for 15th level, let alone 9th) i presume your DM is throwing equally powerful critters so the game is challenging. Meaning, Ac 24 is great for most games, but just OK for you guys....hence Cloak of displacement. Def dump giant strength belt for something else.

Huskergamer
2019-04-19, 05:54 PM
We are doing the Princes of the Apocolypse campaign that came out for 5e and yes i already have res wis from level 1 and warcaster of course. The boots of flight sounds nice. So the party actually chipped in to buy me a mantle of spell resistance. btw the reason i have all this great gear so far is because we found a legendary staff and then sold it so we could buy stuff.