PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Strange+Mr Norrel Vs. Ged, the Wizard of Earthsea

Tamburlaine
2007-10-01, 03:48 PM
Help me to settle an arguement with an equally nerdy friend of mine;
Who would win the above fight?

Nibleswick
2007-10-02, 02:55 AM
My vote would be Ged, he is a master of manipulating others magics, plus he has had formal training, and he likes to garden:smallbiggrin:

Tengu
2007-10-02, 08:06 AM
Didn't Ged lose all of his magic powers at the end of the third book, never to regain them again? That'd put him at a major disadvantage when it comes to magical duels.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-10-02, 09:01 PM
From what i recall from the end of JSAMN Strange and Norrel could do some pretty crazy stuff at the end of the book and were just starting to learn the really awesome old magic...

but i don't know anything about this "Ged"

RTGoodman
2007-10-02, 09:28 PM
I haven't read much of JS&MN (honestly, who needs footnotes in a fiction novel, for crying out loud!?!?), but I'm definitely going with Ged.

I mean, given time he could find their truenames and use that as leverage, and he's pretty much just awesome - he single-handedly defeated that dragon (it's been a while since I read "A Wizard of Earthsea," so I've forgotten some of the names), and he managed to stop a manifestation of his own inner evil itself (or whatever it was that he was hunted by through the novel).

Tamburlaine
2007-10-03, 01:46 AM
^The footnotes are, although not really necessary, awesome.

MrsbwcMD
2007-10-03, 09:33 AM
^The footnotes are, although not really necessary, awesome.

I totally agree. I really enjoyed the footnotes. They gave a little "authenticity" to the fiction. I don't now anything about Ged, so I can't make a good argument about who would win in a battle. I would go with Jonathon and Mr. Norrell only because I'm completely biased about them.

The Prince of Cats
2007-10-03, 12:13 PM
(honestly, who needs footnotes in a fiction novel, for crying out loud!?!?)
Terry Pratchett?
Jasper Fforde? (look for "Eyre Affair")

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-10-04, 05:46 PM
I loved the footnotes. They made it feel so...real

Green Bean
2007-10-04, 05:53 PM
Ged sounds pretty tough, but Strange and Norrel would have a trick or two up their sleeves, no doubt. Still, I have to call it for Ged, if only because it appears that magic versus magic battles are more common in Earthsea, giving Ged the experience advantage.

Besides, "A wizard could kill someone with magic. A gentleman never could."

SITB
2007-10-05, 10:31 AM
Besides, "A wizard could kill someone with magic. A gentleman never could."

And then Norrel kills Ged from behind because he doesn't have those morals.

Besides, both of them are comparable in power to Ged, they both overpower him simply because they are two people.

Though this depends on how much preparation time Norrel had beforehand 'cause his power is mostly from having most of the magic books in the world at his abode and knowing the right tool for the right job.