PDA

View Full Version : Two character player class

stewstew5
2019-04-06, 05:23 PM
I want to play a character that is two separate entities, and I was wondering if there is any prestige/supplement class balanced around this or would dividing my xp between them be balanced enough?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-04-06, 05:27 PM
The Dvati race, any class with a strong animal companion/cohort/mount (druid, summoner, übermount builds, Thrallherd, Zhentarim Skymage), or just Leadership.

DeTess
2019-04-06, 05:28 PM
The Dvati race (dragon compendium) might be what you're looking for.

Zaq
2019-04-06, 05:28 PM
Sounds like the dvati, which you can find in Dragon Compendium.

To be honest, though, dvati are a hot mess rules-wise. They require an awful lot of GM adjudication. Can you be a little more specific about what exactly you’re trying to accomplish and what you want that to play like at the table?

stewstew5
2019-04-06, 05:44 PM
Sounds like the dvati, which you can find in Dragon Compendium.

To be honest, though, dvati are a hot mess rules-wise. They require an awful lot of GM adjudication. Can you be a little more specific about what exactly you’re trying to accomplish and what you want that to play like at the table?

Ice Climbers

ExLibrisMortis
2019-04-06, 06:13 PM
Ice Climbers
As in, mountaineers who climb ice walls? Dragon Cohort for a white dragon. Its Icewalking ability has you covered. Plus dragons are intelligent, so they are a character.

stewstew5
2019-04-06, 06:35 PM
As in, mountaineers who climb ice walls? Dragon Cohort for a white dragon. Its Icewalking ability has you covered. Plus dragons are intelligent, so they are a character.

Ice Climbers as they appear in Super Smash Bros

Zaq
2019-04-06, 06:52 PM
That’s great. It also doesn’t answer the question.

What, specifically, do you want this character to do? How do you want to go about doing it? What’s mission-critical to you?

Don’t just say that you want to be just like in SSB. If your character doesn’t have an attack button, a double jump, and a special button, guess what—it ain’t “just like SSB.” It’s fine to use SSB as a starting point, but what specifically are you looking to capture with this D&D character?

Once you identify what you really want the character to do and to feel like, we can talk about ways to accomplish that. But simply referencing a character from a video game that’s very different from D&D doesn’t tell us enough about what you want. Again, it’s cool to use a video game as your starting point—I’ve done that many, many times. But it’s not enough. What aspects of the character speak to you? What will make you feel like you’ve brought a faithful and/or interesting representation of this character into D&D?

stewstew5
2019-04-06, 08:00 PM
That’s great. It also doesn’t answer the question.

What, specifically, do you want this character to do? How do you want to go about doing it? What’s mission-critical to you?

Don’t just say that you want to be just like in SSB. If your character doesn’t have an attack button, a double jump, and a special button, guess what—it ain’t “just like SSB.” It’s fine to use SSB as a starting point, but what specifically are you looking to capture with this D&D character?

Once you identify what you really want the character to do and to feel like, we can talk about ways to accomplish that. But simply referencing a character from a video game that’s very different from D&D doesn’t tell us enough about what you want. Again, it’s cool to use a video game as your starting point—I’ve done that many, many times. But it’s not enough. What aspects of the character speak to you? What will make you feel like you’ve brought a faithful and/or interesting representation of this character into D&D?

The “perfect” synchronization, general closeness of Nana and Popo in their relationship as well as just how darn cute they are. Cooperation! It melts my heart.
That said, it’s fun to be two separate forces on the field and roleplay out the two characters at once

SangoProduction
2019-04-07, 07:40 AM
If Pathfinder's on the table then the Summoner class gets you can fluff as you wish. Arguably OP. But hey.

MisterKaws
2019-04-07, 10:39 AM
The “perfect” synchronization, general closeness of Nana and Popo in their relationship as well as just how darn cute they are. Cooperation! It melts my heart.
That said, it’s fun to be two separate forces on the field and roleplay out the two characters at once

Yeah that's a Dvati alright. Really, that's the race by itself with no add-ons.

If you're going to play at really high levels, and your DM allows 3.0 books, I recommend templating your Dvatis a bit so that their CR is 3(or 4 if you can fly naturally) less than their ECL, so that you can enter Windrider and ride yourself.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-07, 11:18 AM
ride yourself.That's what he said.

No! Bad Maxi!

With some juggling, you can pull off a hivemind with several dozen bodies. The vermin lord (BoVD) can hivemind together a bunch of animals or vermin with you at the helm, so take Leadership, cast Chain Spell'd aspect of the wolf (using a spellblade of that spell to redirect it to others who are not you) on as many of your minions as you need to, then turn them into a hivemind. Make sure everyone has an acorn of far travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) so all of your bodies can work at a distance. Works best if the oak tree you're pulling from is planted on a plane with the timeless magic trait, so the spell never expires.

Use your cohort as your Nana (https://www.ssbwiki.com/Ice_Climbers_(SSBB)).

Or even better, also take Dragon Familiar and add him/her/it to your hivemind to use as a mount.

The Glyphstone
2019-04-07, 11:21 AM
Dvati is basically exactly what you're looking for here.

stewstew5
2019-04-07, 12:32 PM
Dvati is basically exactly what you're looking for here.

yea pretty much

Thurbane
2019-04-07, 04:09 PM
There is The Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9623431&postcount=9), which is a "He-Man/Shazam" like class from The Giant himself, Rich Burlew.

The Glyphstone
2019-04-07, 04:39 PM
There is The Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9623431&postcount=9), which is a "He-Man/Shazam" like class from The Giant himself, Rich Burlew.

Yeah, but you can't play both of them side by side, which is the primary thing the OP has said they want out of this.

Thurbane
2019-04-07, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but you can't play both of them side by side, which is the primary thing the OP has said they want out of this.

Well, that's what I get for skimming the OP while I eat breakfast! :smalltongue:

Remuko
2019-04-08, 02:20 AM

that is so cool and gave me a great idea for a character if i ever get to play again...and can get the use of that class approved :O

Edit: Also Thurbane, if you see this, I wanted to message you to ask you something (about the class you linked) but your inbox seems to be full. Perhaps you could clear up some room and/or message me.

Endarire
2019-04-08, 03:05 AM
I'm unsure if Gestalt is what you meant.

What about a Druid with an Animal Companion or a similar main/companion character setup?