PDA

View Full Version : If a bard grabs shillelagh with magical secrets, does he use CHA or WIS?

Klorox
2019-04-06, 08:17 PM
The description says it becomes a bard spell, so you’d use CHA to hit and damage, right?

returnToThePast
2019-04-06, 08:20 PM
Correct. Charisma is the spellcasting ability for bards, and the magical secrets feature specifies that the spells you gain become bard spells.

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 08:45 AM
Off the books right now, but you can use Magical Secret to get a cantrip?

ImproperJustice
2019-04-07, 08:49 AM
I think it is up to GM interpretation.

By RAW it says spells.
And there is considerable debate on whether cantrips are spells or not.

Our GM has certainly allowed it.
Given just how wide and amazing Magical secrets is, trading a cantrip against some of the other amazing options seems more than fair.

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-07, 08:51 AM
Off the books right now, but you can use Magical Secret to get a cantrip?

Quoting from DNDBeyond:

“Magical Secrets
By 10th level, you have plundered magical knowledge from a wide spectrum of disciplines. Choose two spells from any classes, including this one. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip.”

Millstone85
2019-04-07, 08:58 AM
And there is considerable debate on whether cantrips are spells or not.How? :smallconfused:

A cantrip is a spell that can be cast at will, without using a spell slot and without being prepared in advance. Repeated practice has fixed the spell in the caster's mind and infused the caster with the magic needed to produce the effect over and over. A cantrip's spell level is 0.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-07, 09:09 AM
By RAW it says spells.
And there is considerable debate on whether cantrips are spells or not.

No there isn't. What are you talking about?

jaappleton
2019-04-07, 09:39 AM
All Cantrips are spells.

Not all spells are Cantrips.

ImproperJustice
2019-04-07, 11:29 AM
I guess I mis spoke.

When it comes to things like spells known, and spells cast per turn, and the aforementioned Magic Secrets, sometimes cantrips and spells are treated differently from one another and sometimee not.

Eragon123
2019-04-07, 12:14 PM
One important thing to keep in mind is that if you use magical secrets to grab a cantrip, the "Spells Known" column on the Bard table will be incorrect.

Millstone85
2019-04-07, 12:23 PM
One important thing to keep in mind is that if you use magical secrets to grab a cantrip, the "Spells Known" column on the Bard table will be incorrect.Only in the sense that instead of being short for "Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher", it will now be short for "Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher (and Magical-Secrets Cantrips)". :smallamused:

Cybren
2019-04-07, 05:38 PM
I guess I mis spoke.

When it comes to things like spells known, and spells cast per turn, and the aforementioned Magic Secrets, sometimes cantrips and spells are treated differently from one another and sometimee not.

The big one is that you can change a known spell when you level up but you can't change a cantrip.

Captain Panda
2019-04-07, 06:19 PM
Please don't waste a magic secret on that. :o

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-08, 11:15 PM
The big one is that you can change a known spell when you level up but you can't change a cantrip.

Unless you're a Revisited Artificer, I suppose.