PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other feedback for some core rules changes: sneak attack as a basic maneuver

mabriss lethe
2019-04-06, 08:34 PM
I've been tinkering with some changes to the 3.5 system. One of my goals is to improve the variety and relevance of the core special attacks: Trip, sunder, bull rush, all that stuff.

One thing that came to mind would be to redesign Sneak Attack, remove it from play as a class feature, and integrate it as a core mechanic accessible to anyone. My current thinking would cap it as a 1d6 damage boost. But what to do about the Rogue and other SA granting classes? I was thinking of replacing their SA progression with something else, call it "Dirty Fighting" for now. Whenever they would be granted an SA improvement, they could instead gain some new tactical option. (Improved SA damage would be one of the options, but would scale somewhat so that other options, like rider effects, or improvements to other "dirty fighting" attacks like trip or disarm could fill out the rogue's toolbox)

So, worth pursuing or should I give it nerf/boost?

Alabenson
2019-04-06, 11:02 PM
It seems like you goal is to give the rogue more tactical options, which is a good goal to have, but I'd be very leery about the way you're approaching it. Rogues are already reliant on their sneak attack to maintain a reasonable level of damage, and anything that forces them to make tradeoffs like what you're suggesting is going to quickly end up being a trap option. I'd focus more on giving them options in addition to their existing progression, rather than making it an either or scenario.