PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fighter and Hunter/Ranger Rework

Rethmar
2019-04-06, 08:44 PM
They're not quite finished, but the premise is there.

Fighter (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17hKDd-xfYDzdAtGVTy7U01IdfQkw6UxxyTelcVG07tw/edit?usp=sharing)

Hunter/Ranger (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bd_VPirz9zJdZJIAikSDgmg_os8h2Ci9TRbOHMlM6XY/edit?usp=sharing)

aimlessPolymath
2019-04-06, 10:04 PM
Ranger rework looks like (ironically) a hybridization of hunter and slayer, losing animal focus and sneak attack. Is that accurate?

Fighter honestly seems like a partial downgrade in terms of Bonus Feats -> Combat Style, and I'm not sure that Adrenaline Surge really gives it all that much other than some rogue-ish skills. I'd willingly trade Weapon Training for it, but probably not Advanced Weapon Training.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of as the largest issues currently facing Fighters and Rangers, and how these reworks solve them.

Rethmar
2019-04-06, 10:33 PM
I think that's all accurate. Maybe I should toss a little Advanced Weapon Mastery onto the Fighter class. It'll still be weaker than regular Fighter, I believe.

My reason for creating these isn't that I believe there to be a large issue with those classes.
More like an attempt to add some mechanical flavor I might enjoy (the Fighter being like a combat athlete, and the hunter being like a monster scholar/slayer), as well as offer more active ability use.

Awun
2019-04-07, 11:37 PM
I have to admit that I do love the idea of the fighter being a combat athlete. That said I think that your version of the class does give up too much to add that element, the reduction in bonus feats is punishing and leaves this version incompatible with most fighter archetypes. Honestly, I think this fighter would lag far behind other classes, including the base fighter which tends to have trouble keeping up(especially in games with homebrew or 3rd party content).

In terms of mechanics, the "Adrenaline Surge" ability is stated to be a free action, it might be better to move it to generally being a swift/immediate action, or else to state that its limited to once per-round. Unless the intent is for it to not have a limit on uses per round other than total uses per day, with the exception of using the ability to modify saves.