PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Total Cover

Aaedimus
2019-04-07, 12:29 AM
The Force Wall post has provided a decent amount of debate, however it raises a question that deserves another post. If a force wall or window provides total cover (as they very likely might) we know there are spells that specifically provide exceptions which still allow the subject to be targeted. I've seen 3 examples of spell effect the forcewall doesn't stop.*

-Sacred Flame
-Misty Step
--a fireball or other area of effect spells could bend around the wall's edge

If the wall or window provides total cover, and the caster uses the sphere version (no edge for area of effect spells like fireball to bend around) what's a full list of spells you could use through a forcewall or window?

Galithar
2019-04-07, 05:36 AM
The Force Wall post has provided a decent amount of debate, however it raises a question that deserves another post. If a force wall or window provides total cover (as they very likely might) we know there are spells that specifically provide exceptions which still allow the subject to be targeted. I've seen 3 examples of spell effect the forcewall doesn't stop.*

-Sacred Flame
-Misty Step
--a fireball or other area of effect spells could bend around the wall's edge

If the wall or window provides total cover, and the caster uses the sphere version (no edge for area of effect spells like fireball to bend around) what's a full list of spells you could use through a forcewall or window?

That depends on your ruling for Total Cover. Does it block line of effect, while leaving line of sight unimpeded?

If yes, then almost nothing.
If no, then almost everything.

Aaedimus
2019-04-07, 09:04 AM
From how I'm interpreting the posts on the Force Wall string, it looks like most of the people who advocate total cover would say yes, thus it's almost nothing.

This post was designed to pull the "almost" out. What are the niche spells that wouldn't be restricted? Because part of many explanations stated you can not be the target of ANY spell through a glass window unless it's a niche example that specifically states like divine flame and other spells.

Are divine flame and misty step the only ones?

MThurston
2019-04-07, 09:26 AM
From how I'm interpreting the posts on the Force Wall string, it looks like most of the people who advocate total cover would say yes, thus it's almost nothing.

This post was designed to pull the "almost" out. What are the niche spells that wouldn't be restricted? Because part of many explanations stated you can not be the target of ANY spell through a glass window unless it's a niche example that specifically states like divine flame and other spells.

Are divine flame and misty step the only ones?

Being able to be targeted is different than can be hit. A wall of force would stop direction spells but not others.

I don't see how sleep would be stopped by a wall of force. You can be seen.

Toadkiller
2019-04-07, 09:28 AM
Dispel magic + send the barbarian.

Lunali
2019-04-07, 09:34 AM
thunder step, dimension door, maelstrom, call lightning (if there's space above the wall for the cloud to reach the other side), wrath of nature, erupting earth, arcane gate, meteor swarm, etc.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-07, 10:27 AM
Any spell that doesn't require the caster to target something on the other side of the cover.

Aaedimus
2019-04-07, 02:57 PM
thunder step, dimension door, maelstrom, call lightning (if there's space above the wall for the cloud to reach the other side), wrath of nature, erupting earth, arcane gate, meteor swarm, etc.

Maelstrom, cal lightning, wrath of nature, meteor swarm won't do anything to someone trapped in a sphere (remember it doesn't have to be a wall, you can create a 10ft diamater sphere)

So basically, you're saying only teleports and one cantrip... nothing else???

Any spell that doesn't require the caster to target something on the other side of the cover.

Like what though? Because other than the targeting limitations, nothing created on the outside can physically enter the Sphere.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-07, 03:12 PM
Like what though? Because other than the targeting limitations, nothing created on the outside can physically enter the Sphere.

Out of my head? Minor Illusion. Teleportation spells (not just Misty Step) do have target, but the target is creature to be teleported, not the destination. I'm not gonna check every other spell to see which one doesn't have target.

Does the spell target creature, object or a point in space (for AoE spells)? Is the target on the other side of the WoF? If the answer for either question is "no", then the spell doesn't care about WoF (or any other source of total cover without special exception, like Forcecage).

Galithar
2019-04-07, 04:02 PM
Dispel magic + send the barbarian.

Actually doesn't work. Wall of Force is impervious to dispel magic. You have to use Disintegrate.

MThurston
2019-04-08, 08:04 AM
It says nothing can physically go through it. So I can't see why a sleep spell or cloud spell can be cast inside it.