PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Family Matters

ZenBear
2019-04-07, 03:59 AM
Just enjoyed session 0 of a new campaign. First time playing in Eberron. I'm a big fan of the setting. Our party is only 3 strong, but we have a great dynamic.

First character we rolled up is as yet unnamed, as she is a Firbolg and as such will go by whatever name the first person gives her. She's a Life Cleric of the Sovereign Host, specifically Boldrei (https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/Boldrei) the goddess of hearth and home. She tragically lost her family and now travels the world in search of a new one. She will be a doting mother to the rest of the party with no boundaries of personal space. She's a hugger (https://youtu.be/-RTywKVcLRI).

Next we made a Warforged Artificer (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer-2019.pdf), as yet unnamed. This player is very new, having only played in my short lived campaign of the past few months. Previously he played a martial character, so this time he wanted to use magic and be more utilitarian. When he found out the Artillerist specialty essentially makes him a TF2 Gunslinger Engineer, he was sold. This Warforged is over a century old and helped forge many of his brethren to fight in the Last War. He bears a great weight of guilt over this, and now seeks to find a rumored Creation Forge to craft new children of his own, not designed for war but for life. This leads him to the counsel and guidance of the Firbolg cleric, and both of them to Sharn, The City of Towers, chasing rumors.

Finally, my character. I originally built an Arcane Trickster, expecting the Warforged player to make a Bard since he's expressed interest in that before, but once I realized we needed a Face I swapped over to a Swashbuckler build. Rejivar is the estranged scion of a noble house in the Venomous Demesne. He was banished after losing a duel with a rival, and bribed and coerced his way through Droaam to reach Sharn. He made his own way as a conman and street performer, and eventually overhears the Warforged Artificer asking around for rumors about a Creation Forge. Sensing a potential mark, he offers to guide him around the city and help chase these rumors. Notably, Rejivar is only 16. Being both physically smaller and significantly younger than his companions, he will be the surrogate child for the two would-be parents, and he will resist it for as long as he can. Being that he was cast out by his own blood, he's reticent to trust anyone anymore. His character arc will be to accept that true family isn't always blood related.

Let me know what y'all think of this premise, and in particular if anyone has tips or advice for my newbie friend playing the latest version of the Artificer, I'll pass them along!

GreyBlack
2019-04-07, 04:24 AM
I don't really have anything to add, but just wanted to say that I read the title and now want to play a wizard based on Urkele. A really, really clumsy wizard, maybe an evoker.

"Did I do that?"