PDA

View Full Version : Teeny Tiny Magic Items

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-07, 06:49 AM
As opposed to my other thread here I aim to explore the introductory magic items. The ones that the group most likely parts with sooner or later. The ones that aren't necessarily strictly magical, but might also be simply very well made.

What minimal constant effects of a magic item you can think of?

Examples
Advantage on checks: Climbing, knowledge, stealth, sleight of hand, escape
Resistance to fall damage
Armor without stealth disadvantage.
Boots that leave no tracks
Focus that casts light
Advantage against a single condition
Focus with bonus damage to one damage type
+2AC against opportunity attacks
Minor combat bonus that triggers when you have no hit dice left
Whenever you regain hit points, regain 1d4 extra
Can't be surprised
Gain temporary hit points after a rest
Gain Darkvision
Remove disadvantage from shooting into melee

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 07:16 AM
Have you read the Xanathar's? There is a section on Common, weak magic items.

One of the suggestions to create more items like that is to use the magic item quirk tables from the DMG and make one of said quirks the item's only power.

Also, an item that is just "well made" isn't different enough to give an actual bonus in 5e, the same way that a badly done but still functioning item doesn't give a negative modifier (although in a few circumstances it's reasonable to rule that the item gives advantage or disadvantage).

On the other hand, it's entirely possible to craft a magic item just by being good at your (non-magic) craft. A wood carver could create a Wand of Wonder, even if they're completely unable to cast a spell on their own. They just need the magic item's formula.

Zhorn
2019-04-07, 07:36 AM
A wood carver could create a Wand of Wonder, even if they're completely unable to cast a spell on their own. They just need the magic item's formula.
... or magic wood.
Or at least that's what the bard tells me.

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 07:42 AM
... or magic wood.
Or at least that's what the bard tells me.

Well technically they need the magic item formula and a special ingredient that requires one encounter CR 9-12 to acquire.

Crafting a wand from magic wood without formula would result in either nothing or a random magic item.

It could make a great starting point for an adventure.

Lunali
2019-04-07, 09:38 AM
Crafting a wand from magic wood without formula would result in either nothing or a random magic item.

Wand of wonder is a pretty good example of a random magical item.

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 09:47 AM
Wand of wonder is a pretty good example of a random magical item.

I was waiting for this one.

To clarify: the Wand of Wander's effect is random, but it's a specific magic item.

The same way that well-balanced dice are random, but if you want a specific d12 it's not a random object.

Someone experimenting on creating a magic item through try-change-a-bit-and-retry would get a lot of random results, though most ineffective.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-07, 02:08 PM
I've compiled everything here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jvJs_lcoQfSr9VgLKgdBlSBzvChmMeddJVTT7mcvj90/edit?usp=drivesdk)

I've yet to look over all the 5e items and see if there are any I want to keep for my magic item table.

I'll definitely keep the wondrous items.