Need help with implementing this spell I made:

Steal
2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock

You attempt to rob a creature you can see within range of one of its possessions. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you steal one nonmagical item that the creature is wearing or carrying that isn't armor. A weapon in their hand, a pouch of coins, and even bits of clothing. The stolen item then appears in your hand.

Indigo Knight
2019-04-07, 10:26 AM
Best course of action, I'm afraid, is to look for a similar spell from the source books.
Have you based this on something that already exists?

HamsterKun
2019-04-07, 11:33 AM
Best course of action, I'm afraid, is to look for a similar spell from the source books.
Have you based this on something that already exists?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYKJY1L2sQ

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-07, 02:15 PM
Iiiiiiii love it.
Would definitely pick it on my Arcane trickster!

Link was worth it.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-07, 04:57 PM
Need help with implementing this spell I made:

Steal
2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock

You attempt to rob a creature you can see within range of one of its possessions. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you steal one nonmagical item that the creature is wearing or carrying that isn't armor. A weapon in their hand, a pouch of coins, and even bits of clothing. The stolen item then appears in your hand.

There should be a weight limit, and you should have to be able to see it.

Upcasting should improve the weight limit.

HamsterKun
2019-04-07, 08:02 PM
There should be a weight limit, and you should have to be able to see it.

Upcasting should improve the weight limit.

Thanks for the advice. The base limit is 10 lbs; but I’m reluctant to having to be able to see it, because you can’t have the mishap of stealing a girl’s panties when you’re after her dagger.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-07, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. The base limit is 10 lbs; but I’m reluctant to having to be able to see it, because you can’t have the mishap of stealing a girl’s panties when you’re after her dagger.

When do spells have mishaps? Why would mishaps have to adhere to a properly cast spell?

What level spell will allow you to steal a magic item?

JeenLeen
2019-04-09, 12:57 PM
I'd recommend a Strength save for items currently held, and Wisdom otherwise. This spell could really be crippling against most NPC martials, so letting it be one of the few places a Strength save really matters seems nice. And it's still Wisdom to try to lift a holy symbol or spell component pouch.

I'm aware martials could have backup weapons, but I reckon few are actually designed to do so in games, or it's just a dagger or something else smaller and weaker. If the real goal is to steal something nice (e.g., utility spell) vs cripple in combat (e.g., combat spell), then having the save be dependent on the circumstance seems reasonable. On the other hand, that is more complexity than 5e usually likes.

When do spells have mishaps? Why would mishaps have to adhere to a properly cast spell?

What level spell will allow you to steal a magic item?

Agreeing that mishaps doesn't really make sense.
Although I also think being able to see the item isn't necessary. You might know it's in their pocket, so no visibility fits the "i'm pickpocketing" concept. Though perhaps in a bad way in the "now the wizard is a better thief than the rogue"-type deal. I do recommend either make it something visible or add a line that, if you try to steal something not on the person, the spell simply fails (but maybe you learn they don't have it... not sure if that's better or better that you don't know if they made their save or don't have it.)

As for stealing magic items, I could see letting it do that as level 7. Maybe limit it to non-attuned, or attuned items get a bonus?