PDA

View Full Version : Steal (5e spell)

HamsterKun
2019-04-07, 09:18 AM
After binge-watching KonoSuba, I came up with this idea for a spell.

Steal
2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock

You attempt to rob a creature you can see within range of one of its possessions. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you steal one nonmagical item that the creature is wearing or carrying that isn't armor. A weapon in their hand, a pouch of coins, and even bits of clothing. The stolen item then appears in your hand.

MThurston
2019-04-07, 09:19 AM

Steal
2nd Level Conjuration

You attempt to rob a creature you can see within range of one of its possessions. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you steal one nonmagical item that the creature is wearing or carrying that isn't armor. A weapon in their hand, a pouch of coins, and even bits of clothing. The stolen item then appears in your hand.

This makes sleight of hand worthless.

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 09:23 AM
Is what you steal supposed to be random, or the caster's choice?

MThurston
2019-04-07, 09:27 AM
Why would they get a save?

HamsterKun
2019-04-07, 09:31 AM
This makes sleight of hand worthless.

Not quite. Steal can’t steal magical items, and you have no real control of what item is stolen; the DM chooses that for you.

qube
2019-04-07, 09:45 AM
congratulation, you stole a cupper coin.

For what reason would the fabric of magic that is The Weave, target any of the items that the caster actually has a use from? esp. With bits of clothing as example, given a failed save, an average person wears dosens of items (2 shoos, 2 socks, ... jewerly, ... just random things in your pocket ... )

seems more to me then lying the burden on the DM, giving the choice between breaking the game and looking like a ****.

Unoriginal
2019-04-07, 10:08 AM
congratulation, you stole a cupper coin.

And then the caster gets arrested for casting a spell on someone in public.

OP, what do you think this spell would/should be useful at?

HamsterKun
2019-04-07, 11:30 AM
OP, what do you think this spell would/should be useful at?

The differences between the Steal spell and pickpocketing via Sleight of Hand is:

Steal
+Can be used at range
+Can disarm an enemy
+Doesn’t require Sleight of Hand proficiency
+Simulates how jRPGs handle how you steal items (it seems as though you’re stealing whatever from a distance)
-Requires a Spell Slot
-Cannot steal magical items (i.e. rings, wondrous items)
-A successful Wisdom save will negate it
-Item stolen’s not controlled by the user

Sleight of Hand
+Uses Dexterity to the upmost
+Doesn’t need a Spell Slot each time
+Applies to more than just pickpocketing
+Isn’t hampered by a saving throw
+Can be used to steal magical items
-You have to be up close to pickpocket
-Usually only works on items that the target has concealed (i.e. a dagger hidden in your pant leg)

JackPhoenix
2019-04-07, 01:20 PM
Just play Arcane Trickster.

Between this and the explosion thread, why reinvent the fire when those things already exist?

MThurston
2019-04-08, 06:11 AM
Not quite. Steal can’t steal magical items, and you have no real control of what item is stolen; the DM chooses that for you.

Then it is stupid as a 2nd level spell.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-04-08, 10:41 AM
Seems like a great opportunity to add a second-level spell nobody would ever, ever prepare.

This is basically the Arcane Trickster's invisible Mage Hand.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-04-12, 01:20 PM
How about instead a 1st level spell "Invocation" that allows you to increase the range of mage hand and other non-evocation spells?

Mellack
2019-04-12, 01:39 PM
It sounds like what you want is not a new spell, but to be an arcane trickster. They already exist and can steal from a distance with their invisible mage hand.

Luccan
2019-04-12, 04:40 PM

Steal
2nd Level Conjuration

So, if you don't choose, what's the point? What is the reason to cast the spell? While it's probably too high level anyway with its other restrictions, if it at least let me disarm a person by choice it would still be a very situational but occasionally useful spell. As is, there's no reason to select it, unless you know the DM is going to give you what you want (or at least something useful) each time. At which point you might as well be allowed to pick it yourself.

I've never seen KonoSuba. If the character that does this only finds it useful by chance, then it's an ability with usefulness dictated by plot. Which is not a good example for a D&D spell, because it is entirely unreliable and not powerful enough to waste a slot on.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-12, 06:59 PM
It has uses, having an item that belongs to someone else as a material component for a spell or ritual is a very common trope.