PDA

View Full Version : 4E: How are you preparing?

ColdBrew
2007-10-01, 04:41 PM
What with all the whining about the 4E changes, I can only assuming your 3.5 books are going to self destruct when it's released. So, how are you preparing? For my part, I'm building a blastproof lockbox to store all my 3.5 books, which I will store in a fire safe. I'm not sure if the books will explode or burst into flame, so I want to be ready either way.

It's unfortunate, since there's enough 3.5 material out there to run campaigns until the heat death of the universe. If only it would stick around past the release of 4E.

Let's brainstorm what we can do with our 3.5 books before Judgement Day!

Tweekinator
2007-10-01, 04:44 PM
I personally plan on photocopying all of my 3.5 material and hoping that the copies won't explode.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-01, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to find the idiot who forced me to pay so much money when I knew a new edition was inevitably going to come out and make it functionally obsolete.

Oh, that's right, nobody did...

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-10-01, 04:54 PM
I've already made successful Disable Device rolls on all my 3.5e books and difused the detonators.

I'd made similar Disarm Traps checks on all my 1e and 2e material.

Rex Blunder
2007-10-01, 04:54 PM
#3! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3266991&postcount=52)

Also, I thought we already had one snarky thread for bashing anti-4e people? Of course, we have like 3 active monk threads, so i guess this is at least that interesting.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-01, 04:55 PM
Mnemetic comunal retention. I figure if me and my friends each memorize ten pages of core we can survive the co,ing of the glorious day, oral culture is the way forwards, just like the mongals.

SilverClawShift
2007-10-01, 05:06 PM
Going the route of monk/scribes who hand-wrote copies of books throughout their lives. Hand-typing material into an HTML database ala the SRD and praying that the CDs don't flare up and burn to dust in their cases.

Thinker
2007-10-01, 05:33 PM
I hope for the safety of your computers you remember to delete your pdfs/3.5 homebrew crap before those explode, too.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-01, 05:34 PM
Buying more guns.

Green Bean
2007-10-01, 05:40 PM
I have tattooed the entire contents of the Player's Guide and Monster Manual onto my body. I have to write really small, and my newly revised copy of the index includes the phrase "Mindflayer next to butt", but it was worth it. :smalltongue:

horseboy
2007-10-01, 05:45 PM
By continuing to play Earthdawn and Rolemaster.

What? D&D sucks.

(Does that count as #4, Rex?)

Cruiser1
2007-10-01, 05:47 PM
I store my 3.5 books in an anti-magic field. That should keep them safe, unless the books are embedded with non-magic based traps (I checked to make sure there was no alchemist's fire in the cover or anything). :smallwink:

cody.burton
2007-10-01, 05:49 PM
I store my 3.5 books in an anti-magic field. That should keep them safe, unless the books are embedded with non-magic based traps (I checked to make sure there was no alchemist's fire in the cover or anything). :smallwink:

But what if there's no AMF in 4E?

Personally, I plan on downloading the SRD and other OGL and then giving the books to my enemies before 4E comes out.

Hawriel
2007-10-01, 06:27 PM
Im building a fort our of all my gaming books in the living room. I have 4 kinds of hats made out of news paper all of my old stuffed teddy bears are prepairing to bear the ramparts. I have a case of root beer and butternutter cookies. Ive stacked up any toy swords Ive found in the basement inside the fort. all pointy dice I have are now in a cup for easy tossing in front of the fort. Ive also mounted a nerf bow and arrow over the gate of my fort. I have many more things I must to for the comming of 4th ed. I belief I shall be prepaired.

LordVader
2007-10-01, 06:30 PM
I'm preparing by surrounding my 3.5 PHB, DMG and MM with a cordon of Warhammer 40k Imperial Guardsmen and Space Marines. The Emperor's finest will give their lives to ensure my safety. I have nothing to worry about.

Mike_G
2007-10-01, 06:55 PM
I think I'll mail mine to Mitt Romney's campaign.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-01, 07:19 PM
I'll burn my books in the same place I burned my 1st and 2nd edition books :smalltongue:

#3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3266991&postcount=52)

Solo
2007-10-01, 07:26 PM
Sealed my books in a vacuum. No chance of fire there!

Thinker
2007-10-01, 07:43 PM
Sealed my books in a vacuum. No chance of fire there!

What about magical fire?

Indon
2007-10-01, 07:52 PM
I'm stocking a small ICBM arsenal.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-01, 08:37 PM
I'm stocking a small ICBM arsenal.

Because of people like you, I'm building a bomb shelter. And leaving my books outside of it :smallwink:.

TheOOB
2007-10-01, 10:04 PM
I'm literally saving all the spare change I get as tips at work so i have enough money for 4e when it comes out without busting my bank account. I make between 3 and 5 dollars a week in change alone, which should give me more then enough.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-02, 03:52 AM
I've been playing 4E for a year and a half now, thanks to my self-built time machine. But since 5E is also looking promising, I think I'll be converting to that soon.

Tengu
2007-10-02, 04:32 AM
By continuing to play Earthdawn and Rolemaster.

What? D&D sucks.

(Does that count as #4, Rex?)

I must agree with this notion. Except that I don't play Rolemaster.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-02, 06:00 AM
I'm literally saving all the spare change I get as tips at work so i have enough money for 4e when it comes out without busting my bank account. I make between 3 and 5 dollars a week in change alone, which should give me more then enough.
I read on a magazine that they'll be updating the SRD, so you may want to look it first to see if you like the rules changes before getting the books. That's what I'll do.

KIDS
2007-10-02, 06:45 AM
YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!

Stevo-Tron
2007-10-03, 10:33 PM
well right now im making peace with my god, i figure if praying won't work then i was meant to be destroyed by my own splatbooks.

come on divine intervention check...

Machete
2007-10-03, 11:22 PM
Well, caching a couple months worth of food rations in platic sealed pipes out in the Nondescript Forest I'm going to bug out when E4 is released along with survival gear fit for long term situations.

When those 3.0 and 3.5 copies explode, the ensuing chaos will trigger a societal and economic collapse that, depending on the speed of the fall of order, may or may not produce an Orwellian Police State before the Golden Hoardes escape the cities and ravage the countrysides of resources before starving out short of the most remote areas where I will be, running around in boots, a kevlar vest, and a loincloth.

Actually, scratch the loincloth.

Mrah?

bosssmiley
2007-10-04, 07:42 AM
...most remote areas where I will be, running around in boots, a kevlar vest, and a loincloth.

Actually, scratch the loincloth.

Agh! Why can't I unsee that mental image? :smallfrown:
The goggles {} :smalleek:

Me? Saving £75 Sterling and waiting until all three books are out. Then I'll noodle down to the local game store, pick copies of the 4th Ed. books up and flick through them.

If I like 'em, I'll buy them and use them. Eggy plays the game for the sake of the game.

If, however, they fail to excite my interest I'll go "pfah!" in that terribly dismissive, nostril-curling, orphanage-burning, nun-clubbing way that all British people do (if you believe Professor Mel Gibson of Hollywood University), throw the books down, walk out of the shop, push some random (hopefully a midget...) under a passing bus, and then go spend the money I've saved on booze and hookers and blackjack instead.

Eggy's is a simple and happy life. :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-04, 07:50 AM
I'm looking on with indifferance.

I have to play Saga Edition before I can do D&D again.

OverdrivePrime
2007-10-04, 07:57 AM
I'm coding the 3.5 books into the genetic code of roaches. Oddly, I found that Complete Divine was already there, grammar mistakes and all.

Person_Man
2007-10-04, 09:27 AM
I think I'll mail mine to Mitt Romney's campaign.

?

Does Romney oppose D&D or something? Or does he just need a better hobby?

ALOR
2007-10-04, 10:16 AM
I'm just going to slap everyone at WotC for putting out 4moneygrubingE and continue to play 3.5.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-04, 10:35 AM
Much like a bumblebee, I am ignoring 4e until it goes away.

Indon
2007-10-04, 10:46 AM
YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!

So do I have to get 25 players and DM an epic-level 3.5 game to get ready for it?

SpikeFightwicky
2007-10-04, 01:39 PM
Naw, don't bother. You'll get ganked by another group of 30 players playing somewhere on the other side of the world.

Green Bean
2007-10-04, 03:10 PM
Naw, don't bother. You'll get ganked by another group of 30 players playing somewhere on the other side of the world.

That drives me crazy, it does. Now I'll never be able to catch 'em all! :smalltongue:

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-04, 03:57 PM
I written my own system:

Rule 1: If a Player wants her character to act in any way, she must ask DM if the character can do whatever it is that she's imagining.

Rule 2: DM says no, and tears up whatever character sheet the player has foolishly created.

Rule 3: DM wins D&D!!! (http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/images/Nuke2.JPG)

KIDS
2007-10-04, 04:08 PM
Waahahahah I'm so glad that someone caught the reference :)

I am becoming paranoid, this morning the DMG 3.5 moved in the shelf behind me of its own accord and now I'm waiting for a beholder to come out of MM (in the other room) and eat me.

Solmage
2007-10-04, 07:02 PM
#3! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3266991&postcount=52)

Also, I thought we already had one snarky thread for bashing anti-4e people? Of course, we have like 3 active monk threads, so i guess this is at least that interesting.

Oooh, I'll take #4! :smalltongue:

I'm buying new Rolemaster Classic books AND and an armored vehicle + AK47 with enough ammo to invade a small country to fend off the attacks :smallamused: