PDA

View Full Version : Cleric 3.5 questions

Zhepna
2019-04-07, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I’m a cleric playing 3.5
the spell Vision of the Omniscient Eye has the mention: ‘’Special: A character who learns this spell gains a +1 competence bonus on Spot checks’’
Since I’m a cleric and know all the spells on my spell list, does it give me +1 to spot checks? If it give me this bonus, is there others spells like that?

2) Online I see a lot of players say Beastland Ferocity is one of their favorite spell to have with DMM Persist. Since it’s a bard and druid spell, how can they obtain it as a cleric? Nobody mentions it.

3) I have the Magic domain: Granted Power: Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.

Does it mean I can use any scroll with spells that are not on my spell list but are on the wizard spell list?

4) If I have the Scribe Scroll feat.(given by the rune domain) and find a wizard with the spell I would like, is there a way to learn wizard spells as a cleric so I could use the scribe scroll feat later to makes scrolls of those wizard spells?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Kish
2019-04-07, 11:21 AM
I'm only addressing the one of these that I don't think you should really ask your DM about.

3) I have the Magic domain: Granted Power: Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.

Does it mean I can use any scroll with spells that are not on my spell list but are on the wizard spell list?
Yes, that is exactly what it means and (along with wands of spells that are on the wizard spell list) essentially what it's for.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-07, 11:23 AM
Yes, just knowing Vision of the Omniscient Eye as a Cleric will give you its passive benefit. I'm pretty sure all the spells that have this type of effect are in Dragon Magic. See also Adoration of the Frightful (Cleric 3), Burst of Glacial Wrath (non-Cleric), Call of the Twilight Defender (non-Cleric), Haze of Smoldering Stone (non-Cleric), and Mind of the Labyrinth (non-Cleric).

Beastland Ferocity has Range: Touch, so it can't even be made persistent without using Reach Spell or similar. The only reason to even have it is to combine it with the spell Delay Death (which also can't be made persistent without Ocular Spell or similar). With Delay Death you don't die at -10, or at any negative; your hp can be infinitely negative and you won't ever die from hp damage. Beastland Ferocity is needed to keep the character conscious in that negative hp state. There's really no good way to recover from that, but some say you can stick your head in a bucket of water and start to drown, which automatically sets you to 0 hp, even if you were at negative one million. No decent DM will allow you to heal from drowning, and no decent DM will allow you to use shenanigans to make your character unkillable. This is in the realm of theoretical optimization, it has no place at an actual game table.

Yes, you can use scrolls, wands, and staffs of any spell on the Wizard class spell list as though you were a Wizard of (Cleric Level/2)+Wizard Level. Keep in mind that if your effective Wizard level is lower than the caster level of a scroll, you need to roll a caster level check to successfully use it, and a staff uses its own caster level or your effective Wizard level, whichever is higher, as the caster level of the spells it contains. There is no minimum level for using wands or staffs. This does not give you the ability to use eternal wands (MIC) as those require the ability to cast arcane spells, not access to a particular spell list.

DEMON
2019-04-07, 11:24 AM
Since I’m a cleric and know all the spells on my spell list, does it give me +1 to spot checks? If it give me this bonus, is there others spells like that?

Yes.

There's several other spells with similar added passive benefits for knowing them, in the same book (DrM). Such as Adoration of the Frightful.

Zhepna
2019-04-07, 12:06 PM
Ok Thanks a lot. I have an additional question:
If I have the Scribe Scroll feat.(given by the rune domain) and find a wizard with the spell I would like, is there a way to learn wizard spells as a cleric so I could use the scribe scroll feat later to makes scrolls of those wizard spells?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-07, 12:26 PM
Ok Thanks a lot. I have an additional question:
If I have the Scribe Scroll feat.(given by the rune domain) and find a wizard with the spell I would like, is there a way to learn wizard spells as a cleric so I could use the scribe scroll feat later to makes scrolls of those wizard spells?

You can get the Spell domain and use Anyspell or Greater Anyspell to prepare and cast a Wizard spell from a Cleric domain slot, per the verbiage of those spells.

Just learning the spells doesn't give you the ability to make scrolls from them, since you need to cast any spells required to create a magic item.