PDA

View Full Version : Forgery Skill 3.5

Climowitz
2019-04-07, 12:23 PM
My Google fu was not good enough and I found barely nothing. So in need the powerful minds of the playground.

What items are out there that can help boost Forgery skill. I remember seeing something about a feather but could not find it.

Darrin
2019-04-07, 12:58 PM
From Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)):

Candle, Focusing
Price: 100 GP
Weight: 1#
(Complete Adventurer p. 118)
+1 circumstance bonus on Appraise, Decipher Script, Forgery, and Search checks. Note: if you think you'll need this for longer than an hour, you can increase the duration to 15 days (365 days / 24 hours = 15.21 days) with a little Unguent of Timelessness (19 GP per dose, DMG).
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 25

Forger's Paper (x10, 10 GP ea.)
Price: 100 GP
Weight: --
(Complete Scoundrel p. 110)
+2 alchemical bonus on Forgery checks, so it stacks with a Forgery Kit (see below). In many ways, Forgery is more powerful than Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, or Intimidate put together. Why? Because it's resisted by Forgery, a skill no one ever takes. Stacks with Forgery Kit and Focusing Candle.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 20

Forgery Kit
Price: 40 GP
Weight: 5#
(Complete Adventurer p. 122)
+2 circumstance bonus on Forgery checks. This kit includes a variety of inks, papers, pens, and seals. Unfortunately, there was a price and weight increase from where it was first printed in the Arms & Equipment Guide, and any mention of waxes, guides and magnifying glasses was removed. Still, this is probably worth it just to avoid the fuss and bother of buying all the included items separately. Each kit lasts for 10 uses, and it stacks with Forger's Paper and a Focusing Candle.

Papyrus of Deception
Price: 2000 GP
Weight: --
(Complete Adventurer p. 134)
When used to forge a document, provides a +5 enhancement bonus that stacks with Forgery Kit and Wondrous Writing Set but not Forger's Paper. While I love using the Forgery skill, my main worry with the Papyrus is there's a good chance you're going to be giving it to an important official who won't give it back, in which case 2000 GP is a bit of a steep investment for a one-shot item that you should be able to use over and over again. Instant summons won't help either, because as soon as you give it to someone else, it's no longer an unattended item. My best advice is after the official has failed his Forgery roll, have the party skill monkey make a Sleight of Hand check to retrieve the Papyrus or switch it with a more disposable copy: use Forger's Paper to create a duplicate, ask for the document back "to check one of the signatures", replace the Papyrus with the disposable copy, and hope the official didn't put a lot of ranks in his Spot skill.

Wondrous Writing Set
Price: 2060/2900 GP*
Weight: 1#
(Oriental Adventures p. 142)
There may be two versions of this item. When originally printed, this writing set provided a +10 circumstance bonus to Forgery checks for only 2060 GP, which is an amazing bargain. While the official Oriental Adventures Web Errata doesn't mention the Wondrous Writing Set, the 3.5 update that was printed in Dragon Magazine #318 does: it changed the Forgery bonus to a +5 competence bonus, and raised the price to 2900 GP. While not quite as amazing, this is still a great deal for buffing your Forgery rolls. There were a few other items in the Dragon Magazine 3.5 Update that changed prices, notably the Kimono of Storing went up to 20000 GP to bring it in line with two Gloves of Storing. Check with your DM if he wants to use the Web Errata or prefers to use the changes in Dragon Magazine #318.