PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Oozes as "Brainless Slime" can still learn

Grog Logs
2019-04-07, 12:36 PM
A friend recently sent me a 2016 scientific article titled, "A Brainless Slime That Shares Memories by Fusing (https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/the-brainless-slime-that-can-learn-by-fusing/511295/): The oozing yellow organism has no neurons, but it can solve mazes, make decisions, and learn by merging together."

It makes me wonder how much we underestimate Oozes in D&D (and other TTRPGs). In the past, I would have allowed PCs to set up a pit trap for an ooze to trap it and leave it. Or, to lock one in a basement. After reading this article, I'd conclude that you can still set up the trap. But, if you just leave it there, if you don't finish it off, it will eventually find a way out. A great way to play with natural consequences to PC behavior. Although, I've just realized that I've now created reinforcement for the PCs acting like murdohobos. *facepalm*

Does anyone else have ideas about how to turn this real-life science lesson into greater moments in roleplaying (either as a DM or PC)?