PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Extradimensional spaces & Dimensional Anchoring

Chalhubard
2019-04-07, 12:46 PM
Say, for instance, that a particular area is warded against planar travel, such as through Dimensional Lock, or in cases where the wannabe traveler is affected by Dimensional Anchor - could the subject access extradimensional spaces?

As is, an extradimensional space is not a plane. It is the inside of any container that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, or any location that has zero external dimensions (such as Rope Trick or Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion).
You can't Teleport out of an extradimensional space, but you could Plane Shift out of one. However, you can't Plane Shift into one, because, as defined above, it's not a plane.

If so, suppose one has a Escape Artist modifier of +30, could it be that this subject can squeeze into a particular container (as per Underdark pg. 112)?

By beating a Escape Artist DC 30 check, one can move 5ft. through a 'tight squeeze' space - defined as "an area larger than the creature's head, but smaller than its shoulders"; which is probably, considering a medium humanoid as the most common character shape, the most commonly available aperture, as presented in bags of holding, handy haversacks and whatnot.

Thing is, once someone is inside an extradimensional space, that person could theoretically Plane Shift away, thusly escaping from an otherwise dimensionally locked area.

What would the collective wisdom of the Playground say?

Malphegor
2019-04-07, 01:31 PM
Sounds plausible to me as a relatively new player whose game hasn’t got those spells in play yet, but are items not subject to the spells you are under?

Also how does dimensional anchor work with openings to other planes anyway? If we consider a bag of holding to be equivalent to a portal, what happens if an anchored person walks into a portal?

unseenmage
2019-04-07, 07:38 PM
Apologies for not having the page numbers (am indefinitely afb) but extradimensional spaces ARE demiplanes according to Manual of the Planes AND the copypasta in either the 3.5 DMG or Planar Handbook or both.

I remember digging the info up and posting it to the forums some years ago. I was surprised to find it too. Was using Planar Ring Gates (PlH) to move stuff from Enveloping Pits to Handy Haversacks.

The question soon became, does a spell component pouch contain any tuning fork one needs to Plane Shift into an individual space created by an individual item.

Bronk
2019-04-07, 09:10 PM
Apologies for not having the page numbers (am indefinitely afb) but extradimensional spaces ARE demiplanes according to Manual of the Planes AND the copypasta in either the 3.5 DMG or Planar Handbook or both.

I remember digging the info up and posting it to the forums some years ago. I was surprised to find it too. Was using Planar Ring Gates (PlH) to move stuff from Enveloping Pits to Handy Haversacks.

The question soon became, does a spell component pouch contain any tuning fork one needs to Plane Shift into an individual space created by an individual item.

Yeah, Manual of the Planes page 7 notes that extradimensional spaces are demiplanes, 'spaces that function like planes but have measurable size and limited access'.

The reason you can't plane shift into one is that there's no native metal from any individual extradimensional space with which to make the required forked rod focus (also, they're not in spell component pouches because they're focuses, not components).

So, flat no to dimensional lock because it's an area effect, but for dimensional anchor, the person affected by it could ask someone else to access the space for them.

Crichton
2019-04-07, 09:20 PM
(also, they're not in spell component pouches because they're focuses, not components).

Tiny nitpick: Spell Component Pouches do have focuses in them, unless they have a listed price, which Plane Shift forks don't, so they would be in there.

Spell Component Pouch

A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

Bronk
2019-04-08, 07:43 AM
Tiny nitpick: Spell Component Pouches do have focuses in them, unless they have a listed price, which Plane Shift forks don't, so they would be in there.

Good catch! I should have just stuck with the book quote...

Elkad
2019-04-08, 03:16 PM
Oh good grief. How have I missed the obvious all this time.

I think that is the correct reading. Dimensional Lock, Hallow, etc would prevent access to extradimensional storage!

Anchor just wouldn't let you reach into your Bag of Holding/Haversack/Belt/Girdle (on the ruling that your hand is attempting to "dimensionally travel), but you could upend it and dump everything out. Quiver of Ehlonna would probably work fine though, the desired item would stick out of it "as from a regular quiver".

Chalhubard
2019-04-08, 04:44 PM
Hm... guess only something like Extraordinary Spell Aim/Selective Spell Antimagic Field would get one to access their belongings in such areas. Dayum.