PDA

View Full Version : Two-character player race

stewstew5
2019-04-07, 12:59 PM
A race designed to let players be two influences on the field, effectively becoming 1.5 characters.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryZ0f5iPYN

I know this has a lot of potential abuse issues, but if requested by a non-malicious player looking for a good time it shouldn't prove too many issues.

As well, it isn't quite as powerful as two players making separate characters and then working in conjunction with each other

(fluff still in progress)

Galithar
2019-04-08, 05:33 PM
Okay. If you want more balance.

Limit spellcasters to one leveled spell per turn.
Martials Duos are going to be superior until level 5, that's okay if your group can handle that.
Disadvantage on attacks after a miss is rough, but advantage on the hit is super powerful. It will often turn it into 2 hits or 2 misses, instead of equal chance. Not really a problem, but opens up for GWM/SS tactics. Duo 1 attacks normally to get the hit, to give duo 2 advantage for GWM/SS.
Spell casters gain the most. 2 reactions means 2 chances to counterspell/shield/absorb elements.
Even getting 2 cantrip casts is a huge power jump. A Duo Sorlock quickening Agonizing Repelling Blasts? That's 16d10+80 with 160 foot of knock back. Only costs 4 sorcery points.

Basically it's going to destroy balance with major limits. Giving each their own actions and reactions is never going to balance out. You call out and limit extra attack, but nothing similar for spellcasters.

Maat Mons
2019-04-08, 05:45 PM
How about letting the two of them together take the actions of a single character? But they can mix and match which body is doing what?

So, initially, only one body can attack in a turn (barring reactions). But once you get extra attack, you can have each body make one attack, or one body make two attacks.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 06:08 PM
It's a cool thought, but very strong.

I'd probably just simplify it to be that they share Actions, Bonus Actions, Reactions and HP, but they can use their speeds individually. When one is eligible for a triggering ability (such as Two Weapon Fighting), the other is as well. When one makes an attack against a creature, the other can either cast a Cantrip attacking that creature, or make a weapon attack against the same creature, as a Bonus Action.

To compensate for the fact that they'd effectively get an Eldritch Knight's feature, or the Sorcerer's Quicken Spell Metamagic, they are considered Frail and have a -2 to their Constitution. This makes them exceptionally easy to burst down with an AoE, which is justification enough for me to see something like this be played at my table.

High rewards are earned through high risk.

Galithar
2019-04-08, 06:51 PM
Edit: Don't know how my post appears to have been duplicated removing the second one.

lightningcat
2019-04-08, 10:08 PM
Wasn't there an official race that did this back in 3.5?

stewstew5
2019-04-10, 12:45 PM
Okay. If you want more balance.

Limit spellcasters to one leveled spell per turn.
Martials Duos are going to be superior until level 5, that's okay if your group can handle that.
Disadvantage on attacks after a miss is rough, but advantage on the hit is super powerful. It will often turn it into 2 hits or 2 misses, instead of equal chance. Not really a problem, but opens up for GWM/SS tactics. Duo 1 attacks normally to get the hit, to give duo 2 advantage for GWM/SS.
Spell casters gain the most. 2 reactions means 2 chances to counterspell/shield/absorb elements.
Even getting 2 cantrip casts is a huge power jump. A Duo Sorlock quickening Agonizing Repelling Blasts? That's 16d10+80 with 160 foot of knock back. Only costs 4 sorcery points.

Basically it's going to destroy balance with major limits. Giving each their own actions and reactions is never going to balance out. You call out and limit extra attack, but nothing similar for spellcasters.

You’re right you’re very right. Limiting to one spell per turn is probably best and I do t know how it did nae cross my mind

It's a cool thought, but very strong.

I'd probably just simplify it to be that they share Actions, Bonus Actions, Reactions and HP, but they can use their speeds individually. When one is eligible for a triggering ability (such as Two Weapon Fighting), the other is as well. When one makes an attack against a creature, the other can either cast a Cantrip attacking that creature, or make a weapon attack against the same creature, as a Bonus Action.

A good idea; how would it be worded to match the rule books?

To compensate for the fact that they'd effectively get an Eldritch Knight's feature, or the Sorcerer's Quicken Spell Metamagic, they are considered Frail and have a -2 to their Constitution. This makes them exceptionally easy to burst down with an AoE, which is justification enough for me to see something like this be played at my table.

High rewards are earned through high risk.

Also very smart

The Kool
2019-04-10, 01:45 PM
Wasn't there an official race that did this back in 3.5?

The D'vati, yes. Worth a read. Races of Destiny, was it?