PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for suggestions on Magic artefacts

Rebecca-47
2019-04-07, 07:23 PM
Hey everyone! I've been wanting to DM for a while now, and though I'm extremely hesitant I'm still mining for ideas for a campaing I've been thinking of running.

In this campaign I want to include a trio (?) of ancient magical artefacts of great power. These three don't necessarily have to be connected by a theme, but each one will contain some sort of fatal flaw that earned it an eternity being locked away in some pocket dimension somewhere.

One of these artefacts is a sceptre that appears to transform the user into a dragon, but in reality its more like a summoning/possession. The user's mind reaches into the astral plane and becomes attached to the soul of a dragon, and this soul gradually overtakes them as they continue to use the dragon's body. The soul you attract is dependent on the kind of person holding you are, and the thing is addictive, too.

This idea I plucked directly from the book Guards! Guards!

Anyway, here I turn to you. Have you ever encountered any magical artefacts that might fit in with one? Do you know of any official ones that I could just slap a defect onto for use alongside this?

Thank you for your input. I'm very nervous about becoming a dm, but I know its going to be a blast!

JNAProductions
2019-04-07, 07:55 PM
How bad you looking for? Because I did make The Beating Heart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?522616-The-Beating-Heart-Artifact&p=21944306#post21944306) a while back.

Ventruenox
2019-04-07, 07:58 PM
Might be fun to tie your PCs in as professional collectors to secure, for the public safety, magic items designed by the like of Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Rebecca-47
2019-04-07, 08:00 PM
How bad you looking for? Because I did make The Beating Heart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?522616-The-Beating-Heart-Artifact&p=21944306#post21944306) a while back.

That looks really interesting...but perhaps a bit vague with the whole "random properties" thing. Are these lifted from a table somewhere? :O

JNAProductions
2019-04-07, 08:02 PM
That looks really interesting...but perhaps a bit vague with the whole "random properties" thing. Are these lifted from a table somewhere? :O

Check your Dungeon Master's Guide. It's near the end of the Magic Items section. There's some tables about Minor/Major Detrimental/Beneficial properties artifacts randomly have.

J-H
2019-04-07, 08:47 PM
Have you checked the SCP Foundation?

Rebecca-47
2019-04-07, 09:37 PM
Might be fun to tie your PCs in as professional collectors to secure, for the public safety, magic items designed by the like of Bloody Stupid Johnson.

BS Johnson's WMD, originally intended as a lemon juicer. :tongue:

Have you checked the SCP Foundation?

I don't think I have, what is it?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-04-08, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone! I've been wanting to DM for a while now, and though I'm extremely hesitant I'm still mining for ideas for a campaing I've been thinking of running.

In this campaign I want to include a trio (?) of ancient magical artefacts of great power. These three don't necessarily have to be connected by a theme, but each one will contain some sort of fatal flaw that earned it an eternity being locked away in some pocket dimension somewhere.

One of these artefacts is a sceptre that appears to transform the user into a dragon, but in reality its more like a summoning/possession. The user's mind reaches into the astral plane and becomes attached to the soul of a dragon, and this soul gradually overtakes them as they continue to use the dragon's body. The soul you attract is dependent on the kind of person holding you are, and the thing is addictive, too.

This idea I plucked directly from the book Guards! Guards!

Anyway, here I turn to you. Have you ever encountered any magical artefacts that might fit in with one? Do you know of any official ones that I could just slap a defect onto for use alongside this?

Thank you for your input. I'm very nervous about becoming a dm, but I know its going to be a blast!

The exact name escapes me, in D&D lore I read about a wizard who caused an explosion which ended some flying kingdom. Based on it I made :

an "Ark of Kassuth" which when charged by the sun shut down all magic within 300 feet. It was made of gold and had a ridiculous amount of jewels encrusted in it, just begging to be pried off allowing all the captured magical energy to escape.

The Kassuth's (or whatever his name was) dagger. It was a dagger or was it a short sword which glowed and dripped magical energy like a wand from the movie Bright. This thing cast Counterspell on everything eventually getting HOT like it was going to explode.