PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of Invocation (Warlock-flavored Bard) (PEACH!)

Crisis21
2019-04-07, 10:17 PM
So... someone else posted a 'College of Invocation' on this board and I was personally disappointed that it wasn't a Warlock-themed Bard. So... I decided to do my own.

College of Invocations

Learning bardic lore is all well and good for you, but somewhere along the way you decided that you would rather study under someone more... substantial. Mystically speaking, of course. To that end, you have made a pact with a being of great power so that you may study their secrets and add them to your bardic lore.

Eldritch Study

When you are allowed to learn a new Bard spell of 1st level or higher, you may instead select a spell of 1st through 5th level from the Warlock spell list. These spells must be spells that you are able to cast with your available spell slots and count as Bard spells for you.

Mystic Regeneration

Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your bard level (rounded up). Recovered spell slots cannot be higher than 4th level.

Eldritch Invocations

When you take this archetype at 3rd level, you gain a Warlock invocation from the following list. You gain an additional invocation at 6th and 14th level. Whenever you gain a new Bard level, you may exchange one of your invocations for another that you qualify for.

Beast Speech
You can cast Speak with Animals at will, without expending a spell slot.

Beguiling Influence
You gain proficiency in the Deception and Persuasion skills.

Devil's Sight
You can see normally in darkness, both magical and non-magical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Eldritch Sight
You can cast Detect Magic at will, without expending a spell slot.

Eyes of the Rune Keeper
You can read all writing. You can comprehend any written word or symbol, should it hold any linguistic meaning

Gaze of Two Minds
You can use your action to touch a willing humanoid and perceive through its senses until the end of your next turn. As long as the creature is on the same plane of existence as you, you can use your action on subsequent turns to maintain this connection, extending the duration until the end of your next turn. While perceiving through the other creature's senses, you benefit from any special senses possessed by that creature, and you are blinded and deafened to your own surroundings.

Mask of Many Faces
You can cast Disguise Self at will, without expending a spell slot.

Misty Visions
You can cast Silent Image at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Otherworldly Leap
Prerequisite: 9th level
You can cast Jump on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Voice of the Chain Master
Prerequisite: 6th level
You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar's senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Additionally, while perceiving through your familiar's senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

Whispers of the Grave
Prerequisite: 9th level
You can cast Speak with Dead at will, without expending a spell slot.

Pact of the Chain

At 6th level, you gain the Warlock feature Pact of the Chain:
You learn the Find Familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: imp, pseudodragon, quasit or sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own with its reaction.

Eldritch Inspiration

When you reach 14th level, when you cast a spell of 4th level or lower, you may expend a use of your Bardic Inspiration in order to increase the level of the spell by one.

Yunru
2019-04-07, 11:16 PM
Spell Regeneration is far too powerful for a subclass feature.
It's only slightly behind the full caster spell slots of the pure Warlock.

Crisis21
2019-04-07, 11:22 PM
Spell Regeneration is far too powerful for a subclass feature.
It's only slightly behind the full caster spell slots of the pure Warlock.

Regaining spells on a short rest is one of the main features of the Warlock. Doing a warlock-based subclass without it just feels... wrong. I am open to suggestions on how to make it fairer, but really, two spells on a short rest for a main caster isn't that big a deal, especially when they're not their strongest spell slots.

Consider the following: A Bard with this archetype gets two 3rd-level spells after a short rest at 14th level.

A full Warlock gets two 3rd-level spells after a short rest at 5th level.

Yunru
2019-04-07, 11:41 PM
Consider the following: A Bard with this archetype gets two 3rd-level spells after a short rest at 14th level.

A full Warlock gets two 3rd-level spells after a short rest at 5th level.
Yeah, my initially criticism is looking pretty kneejerk as I look it over.

But then again, when compared against something like Arcane Recovery...

Crisis21
2019-04-07, 11:44 PM
Yeah, my initially criticism is looking pretty kneejerk as I look it over.

But then again, when compared against something like Arcane Recovery...

Arcane recovery is 'spell slots whose total is half your Wizard level, rounded up'. So... two 3rd-level spell slots at 11th level.

Yunru
2019-04-07, 11:48 PM
Arcane recovery is 'spell slots whose total is half your Wizard level, rounded up'. So... two 3rd-level spell slots at 11th level.

Yeah, but it's also once per day.

Crisis21
2019-04-07, 11:54 PM
Yeah, but it's also once per day.

...*checks*

Huh. Well, let me see what I can tweak then...

How about this:

Mystic Regeneration

Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your bard level (rounded up). Recovered spell slots cannot be higher than 4th level.