PDA

View Full Version : 5e counter part to a 3.5 Spell

Grayson01
2019-04-08, 02:11 AM
There was a 3.5 Druid Spell can’t remember the name, but it magically made wood as hard as metal. Does anyone remember the name of the spell, and is there a 5e counter Part?

Unoriginal
2019-04-08, 02:23 AM
The name of the spell is Ironwood.

There is no counterpart for it in 5e, although special armors made of materials a Druid will wear can exist.

Ventruenox
2019-04-08, 03:08 AM
Barkskin might come close to the spirit of that spell, though.

Arkhios
2019-04-08, 03:10 AM
Barkskin might come close to the spirit of that spell, though.

True, 5th edition Barkskin is kind of an amalgam of 3.5 Barkskin* and Ironwood, to be honest.

*FYI, if you didn't know, Barkskin was in 3.5 as well. It was an enhancement to your existing natural armor (even though most PC's had an effective +0 Natural AC)

Dungeon-noob
2019-04-08, 05:38 AM
There is a similar spell, Glass to Iron, in the book of lost spells that is very close. Does the same, but with glass.

Arkhios
2019-04-08, 05:58 AM
There is a similar spell, Glass to Iron, in the book of lost spells that is very close. Does the same, but with glass.

It's only fair to note, however, that Book of Lost Spells is not official product, as is the case with most content in DM's Guild. Being unofficial should also raise certain skepticism in regards to balance and/or quality.

redwizard007
2019-04-08, 06:47 AM
It's only fair to note, however, that Book of Lost Spells is not official product, as is the case with most content in DM's Guild. Being unofficial should also raise certain skepticism in regards to balance and/or quality.

I'm not going to cite all the ways that WotC has forfeited the right to claim "balance and/or quality" in their D&D products, (although, 5e has been better thus far.) Suffice it to say, I would treat 3rd party products as Homebrew, and allow or not on individual merits.

Grayson01
2019-04-08, 12:22 PM
Thank you everyone that helps an answered my question completely.

Zanthy1
2019-04-08, 12:37 PM
I don't see how it would be a problem to homebrew a spell of 1st level that toughens wood to be as strong as iron or something. You'd just have to hav size limits. My thought:

1st level a stick the size of a sword (longsword perhaps?) and can get a little bigger as the spell level goes up. Maybe start at 2nd level even if you want to make a greatsword sized wood stick

Arkhios
2019-04-09, 02:50 AM
I'm not going to cite all the ways that WotC has forfeited the right to claim "balance and/or quality" in their D&D products, (although, 5e has been better thus far.) Suffice it to say, I would treat 3rd party products as Homebrew, and allow or not on individual merits.

It's for everyone to decide, whether official content is balanced in their opinion, obviously. I for one prefer to consider official products as guidelines for homebrew/3rd party, not vice versa. That's to say, if homebrew is significantly more powerful/weaker than official material, then it's broken.