PDA

View Full Version : Need creature suggestions

Unoriginal
2019-04-08, 05:40 AM
Hi folks,

I'm off my books right now, but trying to plan an encounter.

I need suggestions for a creature that is:

-Large-sized

-Max CR 4

-Max INT 3

-No flight or swim speed

-Not an horse or a dinosaur

-If possible, with 40ft or more of speed

Any non-third-party sources are welcome.

I'm planning a crazy chase scene.

Thanks a lot!

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-08, 05:46 AM
Also away from book right now, but checking Donjon’s list, how about:

Displaced Beast

Barghest

Giant Scorpion

Or the classic Owlbear

Archeoaevis
2019-04-08, 05:46 AM
An owlbear (https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/owlbear) would be a good, classic choice for this.

It's a Large creature, so you've got that.
CR 3: within the CR requirement you gave.
3 intelligence, or about as much as a housecat.
It can't swim, and despite being part owl, it can't fly. I guess that's the bear size?
If this thing looks like a horse or a dinosaur, then you need to get your vision checked.
It has a ground speed of 40 ft. per round.
It's from the basic Monster Manual, about as first-party as you can get.

I hope this works for the encounter you have planned.

Unoriginal
2019-04-08, 06:41 AM
Thank you a lot, fellas.

An Owlbear could work, yes. It's a classic monster, can be tamed (with difficulty) and is enough of a threat to not be destroyed immediatly.

However, I feel it lacks a bit of spice on its own to "click" with what I had I mind (after all, chases require more than one thing to run) so more suggestions are welcome. I'll definitively include the Owlbear, though.

MrStabby
2019-04-08, 06:46 AM
Thank you a lot, fellas.

An Owlbear could work, yes. It's a classic monster, can be tamed (with difficulty) and is enough of a threat to not be destroyed immediatly.

However, I feel it lacks a bit of spice on its own to "click" with what I had I mind (after all, chases require more than one thing to run) so more suggestions are welcome. I'll definitively include the Owlbear, though.

A gnomish wizard riding on an owlbear?

Unoriginal
2019-04-08, 07:11 AM
A gnomish wizard riding on an owlbear?

I already have who's going to be involved in the chase, I just need the mounts/vehicles. An Owlbear is good, but Owlbear + other thing is better than 2 Owlbears for the feeling I want to get.

DeTess
2019-04-08, 07:17 AM
Maybe a Leucrotta (Volo's pg169). It's large, runs at 50ft speed, and gets a feature that gives it a free disengage after an attack, which might help if it's the thing being chased.

edit: nevermind, too high an int score (9)

Damon_Tor
2019-04-08, 09:15 AM
Lions work well.

Or tigers.

Or bears...