PDA

View Full Version : presidential election for my dnd game, feel free to vote as one of the people

zoraker
2019-04-08, 06:24 AM
not trying to bring up politics, just doing this for fun

so I have decided to run a presidential election campaign in my campaign because of my players wanting one of the NPC candidates to be president so as a role play exercise if you were an adventurer in my game who would you vote for

captain awesome(human superhero, Superman/Captain America type) the rising star of the justice (promises to bring any form of justice he can to the corrupt and to hold up the little man),

executive leader Jim of blast them corp (corrupt wall street type) who promises tax benefits to mega corporations and will make equipment cheaper for all the guilds and adventures.

senator Nekunri Kegbraid (dwarf who is like the archbishop) who promises to lower the costs of divine services by adopting more worshippers in the Coalition of light

senator of military affairs grog(threatens people in the Senate with chairs) he will increase the war effort against the empire and provide chairs for everyone's convenience

little info about the campaign; there is a war going on against the empire and republic and the party is working for a guild to help with jobs the republic can't help with. if any other questions feel free to ask

don't know how to add a poll so feel free to vote in the comments

Millstone85
2019-04-08, 06:34 AM
Captain Awesome, for compassion, courage and country!

JohanOfKitten
2019-04-08, 07:11 AM
Senator Grog.

We're at war and the empire is threatening to bring death and sorrow to our lands. We need a firm grip, someone able to make the tough choices and bring us to victory.
Captain awesome would be a nice leader, but his lack of crompromises and his manicheism would weaken our chances of ending this war.

The other two scare me about downward spirale :
- Executive Jim is a war dog. The war profits him and he might worsen the situation to his own gain.
- Senator bishop is a dangerous step on the sloppery slope of theocracy. Too much powers in ones hands. As an adventurer, I firmly believe that religious power and political power must be working together but be separated, able to serve as counter-power when the other one is going wrong. I might be a bit biased by my last fight against the lord mummy who rose his new religion of Undead-God-King and was a pain in the *** to beat. (And I don't want to talk about that wandering salesman that appeared each time at the worst place to sell us potions to scandalous prices.) :smallamused:

The Jack
2019-04-08, 07:19 AM
Jim is dangerously close to real world politics, whilst the dwarf is clearly not mainstream enough to be a presidential canidate.

It'd have to be grog. Between him and captain america, I'd go with the practical man over the idealist. His promotion of chairs will bring new jobs and a stronger economy to a Waring nation.

NRSASD
2019-04-08, 07:52 AM
Senator Grog.

Jim and Nekunri are standing on the edge of a slippery slope and are one step away from becoming the next BBEG.

Captain Awesome may bring idealism to the table, but Senator Grog brings chairs. Clear winner.

Satinavian
2019-04-08, 07:55 AM
Kegbraid for me

As a senier cleric similar to an archbishop he has administrative experience and can delegate, something that seems to be missing from Awesome and Grog.

Lower cost of divine service is useful for adventurers and i trust him far more than Jim who is only out for money for his corp and would install a monolopy if he could. Diplomatically getting more fringe religions to work together instead of violently opposing each other sounds nice too.

Imbalance
2019-04-08, 08:15 AM
Is there a write-in option?

If not, as my current character is a former town guard, his vote would go to the candidate who has shown the most support toward law enforcement.

Pauly
2019-04-08, 08:28 AM
Captain Awesome believes he is superior to their folk. That’s a bad trait to have in a leader, it only takes a few “for the common goods” and “what about our grandchildren’s futures” to justify any kind of evil.

Kegbraid is too one interest for me.

Grog is motivated in the right direction. One does question his problem solving capacity and ability to get people to follow him willingly.

Executive Jim is my choice. War is bad for the economy, while the threat of war is good for armaments manufacturers and R&D, and supplying someone else’s war is good for your armaments manufacturing base, actual war destroys economic value. So Jim will want to avoid actual war.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-04-08, 08:56 AM
Jim without a doubt. While maybe morally corrupt, the economic benefits he grants to adventuring guilds and major organizations is instrumental to adventuring life, and again, outright war is bad for business, so Jim will seek a swift end to such whereas Grog or Cap would (intentionally or unintentionally) elongate the conflict.

Kurald Galain
2019-04-08, 09:18 AM
My current character is a dwarf, so he would ignore everything written in your top post and vote for the only dwarf on the roster.

Go Kegbraid!

Lorsa
2019-04-08, 09:35 AM
As an adventurer I will vote for:

senator Nekunri Kegbraid.

Lowered costs of divine services would be great. Cheaper resurrection, more cure disease (which will be good in a war) etc.

Justice, the war effort etc, those are things that *I*, as an adventurer can take care of. But cheaper healing potions? That's a life saver.

InvisibleBison
2019-04-08, 09:41 AM
I like chairs, so I'm voting for Grog.

The Kool
2019-04-08, 09:56 AM
Kegbraid. So much benefit to be had for the people!

King of Nowhere
2019-04-08, 10:58 AM
the superhero is good and nice; unfortunately, skill at smiting evil does not automatically translates to skill at governing. Sorry captain, I really appreciate your efforts, but I appreciate you where you are currently.

The executive, meh. I really don't like the "corrupt", but he seems competent.

The cleric is a risky option. On one hand, divine services is mostly healing, so more divine services would increase the life quality of the population as a whole. it would also be very useful for the war.

the military senator would be appropriate in a time of war, but the fact that he has to throw charis around make me question his leadership skill.

Overall, if the church is competent and well administrated, i'd vote the church guy. if the church is inept and/or corrupted, i'd vote whoever seems more competent between the executive and the military senator. If they're similarly competent I'd vote the senator because he's not ccorrupted. I'd vote the hero if everyone else is incompetent.

Sorry I cannot express a vote without more information. But you have the information, so you know who i'd vote.

icefractal
2019-04-08, 12:02 PM
If Captain Awesome is modelled after Captain America as the blurb states, then that includes leadership skills, so I'm going with him. That might seem too obvious, but I'm not sitting through X years of bad government just so I can feel unique. :P

Sen. Nekruni is my second pick, if CA != CA and doesn't have the required skills. The "coalition of the light" may or may not be a good thing, I'd need more info to say.

Jim admits to being corrupt right in his blurb. Half a point for honesty, but I'm still not voting for him. For those advancing the "he may be corrupt but he'll get the job done" argument, consider that lining his own pockets is a much easier and more lucrative option than running the country well.

Grog's chair-based agenda is amusing, but again, not staking the next X years on a joke. And as far as promoting the military, he can do that from his current position.

Vorpalchicken
2019-04-08, 12:37 PM
While he doesn't reflect my personal taste in politics, Jim is the only one with a real plan so I have to vote for him. Jeebux, need some better candidates here.

Fable Wright
2019-04-08, 01:41 PM
Both Superman and Captain America have strong leadership abilities. Also, an inability to be assassinated during wartime is a plus.

My vote is for the Captain, because he's the most likely to actually make a difference long-term. Potentially across national borders if he finds novel ways to combat corruption. Three hundred years from now, when the republic is gone, only Captain Awesome's policies might make a difference of the candidates presented. And that's worth the elven vote.

Themrys
2019-04-08, 02:08 PM
Someone who promises justice without adding his definition of justice, is someone I don't trust. He could do basically anything and call it justice.

"Why should children get to go to school? They should work just like everyone else! Justice!"

So I am not voting for him. Nor for the corrupt or the violent one.

I vote for Nekunri Kegbraid. At least he has a clear definition of what he promises to do. Also, lower cost for divine services sounds good.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-04-08, 03:42 PM
My current adventuring PC is a slightly insane Lawful Evil feypact tomelock. What would Grandmother Winter do? Let's see.

Captain Awesome: I'm all about fighting for the underdog. Justice for the corrupt fat cats sounds great. But does he have the guts to let the streets run red when necessary? Solid maybe.

Executive Leader Jim: The evil Baron of my childhood by another name. Never.

Senator Kegbraid: Bah. Where were the gods when my childhood village froze and starved to death?

Senator Grog: I like his directness. Does he know why he's fighting? Possibly.

Unless her capricious fey patron or her dead cat instruct her otherwise, Grandmother votes for Captain Awesome.

Particle_Man
2019-04-08, 05:19 PM
Captain Awesome! :smallcool:

Vs’shtak
2019-04-08, 05:51 PM
I’m voting for Grog. His skills in war make him the most relevant to our current situation.

Knaight
2019-04-08, 06:27 PM
captain awesome(human superhero, Superman/Captain America type) the rising star of the justice (promises to bring any form of justice he can to the corrupt and to hold up the little man)
I know rhetoric used to convince a population to accept a police state when I see it, so I don't trust him at all.

executive leader Jim of blast them corp (corrupt wall street type) who promises tax benefits to mega corporations and will make equipment cheaper for all the guilds and adventures.
Corrupt literally being part of the description is a bad sign here.

senator Nekunri Kegbraid (dwarf who is like the archbishop) who promises to lower the costs of divine services by adopting more worshippers in the Coalition of light
So we have a bonafide theocrat euphemistically pushing sword point conversion. These options just keep getting better and better.

senator of military affairs grog(threatens people in the Senate with chairs) he will increase the war effort against the empire and provide chairs for everyone's convenience
The weird fascination with chairs is a bad sign, and impulsive warhawks with a penchant for threats tend to cause nothing but problems.

This essentially comes down to damage control, which is why I'm leaning towards Grog. He's reasonably likely to get stymied in his goals by various personal enemies (people threatened, people in the military who respond poorly to threats in the future), which hopefully buys time for less terrible candidates to get going. Awesome, Jim, and Kegbraid all promise to give more power to institutions that both can't be trusted with it and are really unlikely to give it up again willingly. Awesome does so with deceptive rhetoric which is also likely to do some pretty direct damage to population ideals.

King of Nowhere
2019-04-08, 06:34 PM
Both Superman and Captain America have strong leadership abilities.

being good at getting people to follow you in a time of immediate crysis is completely different from taking the right decisions concerning public administration.
Not only, but idealistic people tend to make bad politicians, because they cannot compromise. unless this guy is a special case, i prefer him in his current position.

Fable Wright
2019-04-08, 07:52 PM
being good at getting people to follow you in a time of immediate crysis is completely different from taking the right decisions concerning public administration.

Right. They're only good in a crisis and bad at policy making. Which is why the Justice League is an ineffectual organization that can't actually mount an effective defense against threats like Darkseid, and why Captain America's organized resistance to an unpopular policy fell apart without any particular notability. :smallconfused:

geppetto
2019-04-08, 09:30 PM
Definitely Jim. War is bad for economies and the nation will need to recover after this one. A strong economy lifts all boats so people wont need free chairs or cheaper healing. They'll be able to afford their own.

Captain hero dude is one bad day away from going full fascist "for the greater good" which is how all evil dictators have justified their actions.

Priesty? Nope, theocracy is far too likely to oppress others religious freedoms as well as being prone to launching holy crusades that dont benefit the citizens of the home country.

Grog seems like he's a little too.... simple to understand how to lead a nation. But I like his zeal. keep him as part of the war council.

J-H
2019-04-08, 09:39 PM
I always vote for Captain America.

Quertus
2019-04-08, 10:21 PM
Quertus notes that none of them address the issues he cares about. Shrug. He'll likely abstain, and ignore the whole situation. If necessary - if the public picks sometime who brings about the end of the world - Quertus would Teleport Through Time as necessary.

Myself?

Also, an inability to be assassinated during wartime is a plus.

I look at 4 bad options, and vote for the one who is easiest to remove from office (via assassination or otherwise). Which is likely Jim?

LordCdrMilitant
2019-04-08, 11:14 PM
Going through my recent characters:

AEthelwyn Cyneburh votes for Jim. Promising reduced costs for the already powerful will enable adventurers and nobles to better protect and reward their servants and laborers, and as such the lowers shall share in the rewards in a trickle-down fashion. Captain Awesome has a misguided idea that the ignorant plebians might actually know what they want, and seems too reliant of popularity and bluster, a dangerous path for a leader. Grog is a warmonger, and war is largely bad for business when it turns into a protracted conflict; also, he demonstrates the intelligence of a 3 year old. Kegbraid is theocratic, which is just a step away from warmonger, and is already adovcating missionary and forced-conversion policies. In addition, socializing key heathcare institutions will mean that without the exorbitant costs of clerical and arcane services, our standards of care for those who can afford it would certainly drop to be similar to the standards for those who can't afford it.

Annelie Innoetzia votes for Captain Awesome. A strong leader with strong ideals for protecting the common folk, who is not afraid to take unilateral action to secure what's best for the nation is clearly what we need. Congress can't pass legislation in a partisan gridlock, what we need is a dynamic and charismatic leader who has the guts to use his full power to get things done and not pander to ideals like division of power. Jim is a corporate hack, who isn't out for anybody and won't get the money out of politics. Kegbraid is a priest, and that's bad, because pretense of religious freedom is important to maintaining pretense of civility, and sets us apart from *third world countries that follow a different religion and have different colored skin*. Also, turn undead hurts, and we don't want more priests around casting that, do we now? Grog is stupid, and we don't need stupid leaders. Who cares about chairs anyway?

Euen MacFadden understands that it's his civic duty to vote in elections, but finds himself unhappy with all the available actions. He already served in one Great War, and isn't keen on the world being put through another one, but in comparison Grog seems like the least-bad call. Captain Awesome sounds exciting and good, but Euen's already had firsthand experience with being tough on crime and the true injustice it causes, and it's men like him to got us into great wars already faster than the outright war hawks. The short-sighted rich people like Jim feeding off the backs of the poor is bad for us all, and the bubble is only temporary and will bust into a depression sooner or later. Kegbraid has fancy talk about how everyone deserves healthcare, but when the government controls essential services they can use it to enforce ideological conformity. Also, religious culty types keep doing nasty [like summoning big nasty sea things] under the guise of good; nothing good seems to come of them.

icefractal
2019-04-08, 11:16 PM
I look at 4 bad options, and vote for the one who is easiest to remove from office (via assassination or otherwise). Which is likely Jim?Probably Grog, I would think. Jim's going in already knowing that he won't be popular once the extent of his looting becomes apparent, so he's going to be well defended (both physically and politically) even if he's personally not very formidable. Or he might be a total buffoon who inherited his business empire, but that doesn't seem great either. :smalltongue:

Grog, while maybe personally impressive (or is he? could be a chickenhawk who plays up the 'orc warrior' stereotype with some strategic use of chairs) is for that reason more likely to utilize less bodyguards and put himself in potentially more dangerous situations. Plus possibly needing to seize power in a more overt and resistible way, although that depends on how the war goes.

That makes me think how characters I've played would respond though. Some wouldn't care because they don't live in any country, but some that could:
Criminal Psychic: Jim, he's the least likely to crack down on my activities.
Living Statue: Captain Awesome, obviously a hero is the most suited to rule.
Tiefling Rock Star: Grog sounds like the most fun.
Fake God w/ Cult: Definitely not Nekunri, Captain Awesome if his thoughts smelled good, otherwise either of the others.
Secret Agent Gnome: Nekunri, his changes I can work with the most.
Swashbuckling Alchemist: Captain Awesome if I really believed him, otherwise Jim or Nekunri.
Sagacious Hunter: Captain Awesome - I only give him like a 50/50 chance of going well, but if that's destiny then so be it.
Mercenary Tailor: Grog - if he goes bad I'll see it coming.

2D8HP
2019-04-08, 11:31 PM
I believe that a pint of ale or a sniffer of whiskey is the traditional offer for those who seek to be intrusted with faithfully serving the public good and I'm greatly disturbed by the lack of politesse these candidates are exhibiting!

Though my PC may vote for Grog in the hope of getting some grog (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grog)

lucky9
2019-04-09, 12:33 AM
Between my roster of eight characters we get:
3 votes Captain Awesome
1 vote Jim
1 vote Nekunri Kegbraid
2 votes Grog
1 abstain

Malphegor
2019-04-09, 02:51 AM
Captain Awesome, he might become an unstoppable cruel dictator when given administrative power, but he'll be OUR cruel dictator!

Plus it makes for really emotionswaying propaganda posters if you've got a cape. Capes are cool.

The Jack
2019-04-09, 02:54 AM
Short wars are profitable. Looting and securing economic and political interests is economical. You also need to remember that wars rarely affect a naion or alliance equally. Durring ww2 the USA was relatively untouched and they became a superpower from selling and leasing industrial output. Maybe war sucks for those on the border, but for those in other regions it might be a fantastic oppertunity. So long as your fronts are limited or distant and your resources are secure a war is golden.

Millstone85
2019-04-09, 03:15 AM
You people have so little faith in Superman and Captain America. :smallsigh:

chainer1216
2019-04-09, 03:20 AM
Grog is my hero, chair based diplomacy is the best.

Do you sit on the chair and have a proper discourse or do you beat them over the head with it? Perfection.

hymer
2019-04-09, 03:20 AM
These people are mostly adventurers. Who wants someone who makes a just, egalitarian society with no job opportunities for hired thugs, and who would come down hard on murderhobos?

Malphegor
2019-04-09, 03:24 AM

To be fair, my usual reference point for Superman is back when he'd emotionally manipulate and torture people for a gag that only seems funny if you look at it from his alien perspective. I could look at the more modern version or the movies, but OG Superman, the one from which all were based on, got so powerful he started to lose his sense of morality, and was mostly just a hero for fun.

Quertus
2019-04-09, 08:05 AM
These people are mostly adventurers. Who wants someone who makes a just, egalitarian society with no job opportunities for hired thugs, and who would come down hard on murderhobos?

Yeah, I'm not personally a fan of the portrayal of their "leadership" to begin with, but your standard "Adventurer" should be quite wary of the society that they would produce.

To be fair, my usual reference point for Superman is back when he'd emotionally manipulate and torture people for a gag that only seems funny if you look at it from his alien perspective. I could look at the more modern version or the movies, but OG Superman, the one from which all were based on, got so powerful he started to lose his sense of morality, and was mostly just a hero for fun.

Woah, what? Citation? Or, ideally I wants to read dem comics.

Kurald Galain
2019-04-09, 08:10 AM

Basically, any Superman comic before, oh, 1980 or so? http://superdickery.com has lots of examples.

Malphegor
2019-04-09, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not personally a fan of the portrayal of their "leadership" to begin with, but your standard "Adventurer" should be quite wary of the society that they would produce.

My favourite might have been just a cover, but I recall one where Superman left a Kryptonian baby with Lois and Lana, letting them assume that it was him, but deaged. And watched as they tore themselves apart trying to manipulate the baby (I think Lana even tried hypnosis from memory) so that when it was grown it would fall in love with them. He later returned, explained things, and laughed at Lois and Lana, who were unamused.

Superman- puts babies with really creepy adults for a joke.

zinycor
2019-04-09, 03:30 PM
We are at War! We need a president for war!

Let's go Grog!

Quertus
2019-04-09, 10:01 PM
Some of my other characters? Hmmm...

Armus would be most concerned with Captain Awesome, and would want to get on his staff. Probably vote for him. Definitely try to keep him focused on what's "most important" at times, protect him from himself at others. Armus has worked with his type before.

Woody? Jim, all the way. All the up side, no down sides. He's prefect.

Ikou? Unless someone else hired him for PR for his "valent hero" status, Ikou would probably vote for Captain Awesome, as a "kindred spirit".

I'm debating whether my religious characters... Debating? Nah, Winx would vote religion, all the way. Regardless of whether he had the skills, or if those skills were needed elsewhere. So Nekunri Kegbraid.

Hunter? Eh, tough call. Hunter knows what promises are worth. So his absentee ballot would probably be for whichever candidate has shown the most leadership skills. Which sounds like Nekunri Kegbraid.

Raymond? Nekunri Kegbraid or Captain Awesome would be disadvantageous, if not suicidal. Jim would be preferable, but, if research data says Grog is more popular, the Thrulls would be instructed to vote for him, instead.

42? Vote? President? How quaint. We shall abstain from participation in such primitive rituals.

Crystal? Nekunri Kegbraid or Captain Awesome? I think Crystal would both question Nekunri Kegbraid's economic strategy, and want him to stay where he was, and vote for Captain Awesome.

Delock? Another tough call. Grog sounds most likely to fuel innovation, and separate the wheat from the chaff, so I suppose he'd earn Delock's vote.

Briq? Grog is certainly more what he's used to, but, should he try to rise above that, he'd vote Jim.

Rei is too young to vote.

Jakinbandw
2019-04-10, 03:11 PM
senator Nekunri Kegbraid. Cheaper healing will allow for fewer casualties from combat allowing the state to win a war of attrition. Cheaper resurrection is also a very useful tool.

And honestly, this isn't the real world. Having a high cleric leading your nation means you have a god that just might be willing to intercede on your behalf in times of crisis. The advantages can't be overstated.

neriractor
2019-04-10, 07:19 PM
Senator Nekunri Kegbraid, stop secularization for the people! (too little info to really vote though)

Quagmire
2019-04-12, 08:08 PM
Vote Grog! Stick with the devil you know.

The other candidates have qualities that if looked at closely make them turn pretty dictator-y. Grog wears his kinda-a-dictator quality on his sleeve. He’ll win the war, curb civil rights, and probably throw some chairs at members of the opposing party. But at least we can easily predict what he is doing unlike the others.

When “heroic leader awesome” or “corruption’s-in-the-slogan jim” turn evil it will be a surprise and we won’t be prepared. When Grog throws chairs at political enemies they’ll have seen it coming and prepared protection from furniture

AMFV
2019-04-12, 08:24 PM
Grog, cause chairs are really convenient.

Brookshw
2019-04-12, 10:04 PM
Grog. Chairs support me, I support chairs.

(reminds me of this guy's (https://youtu.be/4d_FvgQ1csE) federal pony platform)

noob
2019-04-13, 08:17 AM
With the modern movies where we see super man being an alien monster only vaguely pretending to care and desiring to kill as many people as possible as collateral damage(you can see that in the fighting scenes) It is 100% sure the only rational thing is to manage to kill captain awesome before it kills thousands.
Would grog be the best at killing captain awesome?

Quagmire
2019-04-13, 08:30 AM
@noob
As far as I can tell, Lex Luthor is the best at fighting Superman. So you would want to vote for Jim, the corrupt guy who owns a corporation.

zinycor
2019-04-13, 07:26 PM
@noob
As far as I can tell, Lex Luthor is the best at fighting Superman. So you would want to vote for Jim, the corrupt guy who owns a corporation.

Doomsday was the one who famously killed supes, so grog would be my bet.

Quertus
2019-04-13, 08:06 PM
Doomsday was the one who famously killed supes, so grog would be my bet.

But, in the movies, Doomsday is Superman. So… vote Captain Awesome?

noob
2019-04-13, 09:28 PM
But, in the movies, Doomsday is Superman. So… vote Captain Awesome?

I think we can see a flaw with trying to help captain awesome to defeat captain awesome.

Quertus
2019-04-14, 05:43 PM
I think we can see a flaw with trying to help captain awesome to defeat captain awesome.

Give a man enough rope…

zinycor
2019-04-14, 07:27 PM
If the op could give more info about the candidates, that would be great.

If so I would ask the candidates: What are your plans regarding the conflict with the empire?

Edreyn
2019-04-15, 05:30 AM
Executive leader Jim.

Strong army, honest justice system and respected organized religion require good economics, and can't exist without one.