PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a “opening item?”

UnwiseAlistair
2019-04-08, 12:18 PM
So i recently got a homebrew magic item that seems rife with opportunity for clever uses. It basically lets me open anything, physical like a window or abstract like repressed memories. The only real limit is that it can’t be used to harm creatures. No “opening veins” allowed.
If you had an item like this, what kinds of things could you think of to use it on?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 12:21 PM
So i recently got a homebrew magic item that seems rife with opportunity for clever uses. It basically lets me open anything, physical like a window or abstract like repressed memories. The only real limit is that it can’t be used to harm creatures. No “opening veins” allowed.
If you had an item like this, what kinds of things could you think of to use it on?

Open up a calloused heart. Kill the BBEG with kindness.
"Open Sesame". Open any impossibly secured vault.
Open a Gate on demand. Or Open a doorway to a Demiplane.

nickl_2000
2019-04-08, 12:30 PM
-Getting someone to open up means you are getting them to tell you the truth and tell you their feelings.
-Opening ones hand will cause you to drop your weapon and/or shield or anything else in their hand
-Opening your eyes means literally to open ones eyes, or figuratively to understand something that you didn't before.
-Opening ones mind would help someone understand your point of view.
-Forcing someone to open their arms could be construed as someone welcoming you with open arms.

Unoriginal
2019-04-08, 12:32 PM
Open plate armor?

Sigreid
2019-04-08, 12:38 PM
I could not be trusted with such a device. None of my immediate thoughts should be done by a reasonably moral person.

nickl_2000
2019-04-08, 12:39 PM
I could not be trusted with such a device. None of my immediate thoughts should be done by a reasonably moral person.

*NOTE TO ALL: Never all Sigreid to have charming magic, suggestion, or a Philter of Love.

Sigreid
2019-04-08, 12:40 PM
*NOTE TO ALL: Never all Sigreid to have charming magic, suggestion, or a Philter of Love.

Sound advice.

Mythcaller
2019-04-08, 03:15 PM
Personally, I would use it to open their mind and then turn them into a serial killer, or convert them to my cause. As a generally CN/CE Player they are often the same thing.

Toric
2019-04-09, 09:22 PM
Two ideas:

First I'd try to open the gates of battle to send two nations into war. The I'd be horrified and try to open avenues for peace talks.

Second I'd open every store for business at midnight just to see what would happen. Would the shopkeepers wake up and stand behind their counters in their pajamas?

As you can see, an item like this would be entirely wasted on me as a world-saving resource.

Krobar
2019-04-09, 09:25 PM
1. Hold item.
2. Open a gate to the Abyss.
3. ????
4. Profit.

manyslayer
2019-04-10, 12:55 PM
Show up at the BBEG's secret lair with an "open" invitation.

Open people's eyes to overcome illusions.

Unoriginal
2019-04-10, 12:57 PM
Open people's potential.

Sigreid
2019-04-10, 01:01 PM
Open the tarrasq's eyes.

nickl_2000
2019-04-10, 01:55 PM
For anyone holding their breath you can make them "open their mouth"

It's not direct harm, but it certainly would cause them drown quickly.

Yunru
2019-04-10, 02:15 PM
Open as a verb:

move (a door or window) so as to leave a space allowing access and vision.
unfold or be unfolded; spread out.
make or become formally ready for customers, visitors, or business.
formally establish or begin (a new business, movement, or enterprise).
make available or more widely known.
break the conducting path of (an electric circuit).

Now I can't see a use for that last one, but...
Open a revolution?
Become a merchant, open a hole in the market?
Become a detective, crack open every mystery?
Spread the villain's army across the universe?

Wildarm
2019-04-10, 02:18 PM
Make a deal with a devil for power/wealth/magic in exchange for opening a gate to let them into the material plane. Repeat for profit.

Also fun, opening a can of whoop-ass on your foes. Though that might count as hurting someone.

Yunru
2019-04-10, 02:21 PM
Make a deal with a devil for power/wealth/magic in exchange for opening a gate to let them into the material plane. Repeat for profit.You're thinking to small. Open them to your plights, have them do everything in their power to help you.