PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What if Kobolds were the ancestors of all dragons?

liquidformat
2019-04-08, 12:31 PM
So recently I have been trying to think of what the implications would be if the mighty race of dragons and all their subraces came from kobolds experimenting on and intensifying their bloodlines and not from true dragons? I figured I would throw this by the playground and hear your thoughts!

noob
2019-04-08, 12:36 PM
It would mean the dragons are weakened kobolds.
Right now kobolds can obtain omnipotence by becoming a divine minion (which can be taken as a class level)

Particle_Man
2019-04-08, 04:57 PM
Would these dragons have any loyalty to the kobolds or just enslave/kill them on principle?

Why are so many dragons good? Heck, why are they colour-coded to be good? Are there good metallic skinned kobolds out there? Was this an experiment gone wrong? Or a deliberate modification by a lone rogue good kobold scientist?

What about the non-standard dragons like the Incarnum Dragon, pseudodragon, faerie dragon, dracolisk, etc.?

Where would a half-dragon kobold fit into this?

MisterKaws
2019-04-08, 05:08 PM
Would these dragons have any loyalty to the kobolds or just enslave/kill them on principle?

Why are so many dragons good? Heck, why are they colour-coded to be good? Are there good metallic skinned kobolds out there? Was this an experiment gone wrong? Or a deliberate modification by a lone rogue good kobold scientist?

What about the non-standard dragons like the Incarnum Dragon, pseudodragon, faerie dragon, dracolisk, etc.?

Ferrous Metallic Dragons are mostly Neutral or Evil

Particle_Man
2019-04-09, 12:29 AM
Ok, so would the non-ferrous metallic dragons come last, an offshoot of the ferrous metallic dragons which are an offshoot of the chromatic dragons which are created by kobolds?

The process leading to good gold, silver, copper, bronze and brass dragons should at least get an explanation if the start point is "evil kobolds did X". The explanation doesn't have to be known to PCs (or players) but the GM should have some idea - it could be a mystery to be unearthed I suppose.

Bronk
2019-04-09, 07:07 AM
So recently I have been trying to think of what the implications would be if the mighty race of dragons and all their subraces came from kobolds experimenting on and intensifying their bloodlines and not from true dragons? I figured I would throw this by the playground and hear your thoughts!

I think that would be a crystal sphere with a neat twist! Sort of like Dark Sun, where the only dragons are some kind of advanced magic users undergoing a gradual transformation, but with kobolds, and with a runaway effect.

I think kobolds are just as capable as humans or any other race of becoming powerful. Even without divine minion shenanigans, you'd expect, under the right circumstances, that a few would be able to become powerful wizards, even epic wizards capable of creating their own races, either by transforming themselves, or using something like the 'Origin of Species' spell.

Or they could just evolve that way, like an extreme version of dragonwrought kobolds. There are other examples of races that do that already, like illithids vs Ulitharids or various extreme versions of Yuanti.

Either way, I can easily see all the dragons taking over (from their ancestors and/or creators) regardless of color/shininess and keeping their origins a secret, especially considering the Days of Thunder in Faerun.

liquidformat
2019-04-09, 01:32 PM
Ok, so would the non-ferrous metallic dragons come last, an offshoot of the ferrous metallic dragons which are an offshoot of the chromatic dragons which are created by kobolds?

The process leading to good gold, silver, copper, bronze and brass dragons should at least get an explanation if the start point is "evil kobolds did X". The explanation doesn't have to be known to PCs (or players) but the GM should have some idea - it could be a mystery to be unearthed I suppose.

What we know from the Monster manual is that the standard everyday modern kobold tends towards LE, that just means the majority of kobold (>=51%) are LE. That says nothing of ancient populations of kobold and I would argue the kobold presented in Races of Dragon already throw a hitch into this usually LE alignment rating. RoD in general turned the kobold from being bottom of the barrel mooks to throw at low level parties into one of the most powerful base races.

Like I said kobolds experimenting on their bloodlines...