PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Monk/Druid multiclass help

HamsterKun
2019-04-08, 12:40 PM
I need help making a Monk/Druid multiclass character.

nickl_2000
2019-04-08, 12:45 PM
So what is your goal?
Who is the character?
What do you want to focus on?
What is your desired playstyle?

We really could use a lot more information to be able to help you. Anything you can give us will help the advice be more tailored to your desires and needs for this character.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 12:52 PM
Few things you want to note:

You probably want to focus on the Monk aspect, using Druid to augment your melee prowess. Since Druid requires a bit of Wisdom to work well, you probably want to focus heavily on Wisdom over Dexterity, which also means you will work best as a Monk subclass that is dependent on Wisdom. Druid subclasses that work well in melee combat are limited to the Spore Druid, Moon Druid and Land Druid.

Officially, the Moon Druid's animal attacks don't work with the Monk's Unarmed Strike, and the Spore Druid has a lot of conflicts with the Monk's Bonus Actions, so Land Druid is probably the best way to go.

As to what Monk subclasses work well with high Wisdom, we are talking about the Ways of the Long Death and Four Elements.

Long Death is a good melee tank; the Four Elements is a powerful (but expensive) controller.

For Druid Cantrips, you'll probably want to focus on utilizing your Wisdom and the fact that you get multiple attacks. My recommendations are using Shillelagh and Magic Stone, maybe picking up Thorn Whip once you hit Land Druid.

As for what Land Druid you'll want to pick, you have a few options. Grasslands is great for a stealth combatant and if you plan on having a decent amount of Druid levels. Coast is good if you want to enhance your melee combat and don't want many Druid levels. Desert is also strong to add some powerful versatility, but relies heavily on Concentration spells, which don't work well if you don't have teammates who will take hits on your behalf.

My final recommendation is:

Land Druid 3 (Coast), Long Death Monk 17.

Using this leveling scheme:

Druid
Monk
Monk
Monk
Druid
Druid
Monk (until max level)

HamsterKun
2019-04-08, 02:04 PM
When I use a Way of the Four Elements Monk, I ask my DM for permission to use the remastered version of the subclass that's in the link below:

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1466/51/1466511749685.pdf

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 02:29 PM
When I use a Way of the Four Elements Monk, I ask my DM for permission to use the remastered version of the subclass that's in the link below:

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1466/51/1466511749685.pdf

The advice stays true, regardless of what Monk subclass (or revised version) you want to use. The Revised Four Elements is a bit more efficient, but otherwise the advice stays the same.

Get Druid 1 for Wisdom-based combat. Go Monk 3 for your subclass features. Get to Druid 3 so that you can have level 2 spells and your Land specialties, then max out Monk from there.

sophontteks
2019-04-08, 04:42 PM
The moon druids animal attacks don't work with unarmed strike, but they can make unarmed strikes in place of them.

stoutstien
2019-04-08, 06:18 PM
i have always likes the 2 druid/ 18 monk idea. gets some ranges cantrips to cover lack of ranged options and wild shapes and spells can add a ton of depth.