PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Yawning portal : Sunless citadel

Sirithhyando
2019-04-08, 02:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm running sunless citadel IRL.
My bunch of murder-hobos decided to rush head-on the kobold king. The other kobold made a defensive line to protect the king who downed the party one by one. (though they still killed the king in the end)
Well, they are now chained in the prison with the goblins.

I need fun ideas to punish them and let them continue the game (we're not taking it very seriously, rule of cool comes first).

Thoughts anyone? (if we were taking the game seriously, they would just be killed slowly as soon as they woke up... I mean... they'd deserve it that's for sure lol)

ruy343
2019-04-08, 02:37 PM
Ideas:

The kobolds decide after consulting their scribbles of prophecy that PCs will be sacrificed to Yargle, the god of molten lava, reincarnating the kobold king as the red dragon foretold to lead the kobold people to greatness! (insert scenes about sneaking weapons into the sacrifical chamber, fighting next to a molten lava pit, and having one PC naturally dangling upside-down over the lava, who needs their winch to be steadied throughout the fight, else they tumble to their (very fiery) demise!)
There's a goblin in the prison with them, who has secretly been tunneling out the back of the prison cell. The goblin doesn't reveal this fact until the PCs agree to protect her journey back to her people (she betrays them at the first opportunity)
The kobolds are actually being led by a much more powerful being, who has the kobolds drag the PCs to it for an audience. Whatever it is (Young dragon? Aboleth?), it wants the PCs to accomplish something for it, putting them under a geas to accomplish it.

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-08, 02:40 PM
If you want something light-hearted and funny, maybe have them all wake up tied to a cactus with extra long thorns up on the surface.

DrKerosene
2019-04-09, 02:35 AM
I’ve never had anyone even suggest killing Yusdrayl. Huh.

If you look at the map, the pillared hallway approaching Yusdrayl’s Throne has a few doors, one leads to a trapped hallway that will put the PCs close to the goblin centeral area. Perhaps the Party could be left (thrown) naked into that hallway before the doors are secured behind them.

I normally say the hallway has been filled with goblin garbage to make it noisy and difficult terrain for any kobold ambushes that may come from that direction. The garbage piles may have servicable daggers and shields for the naked party to use.

Edit: Maybe a Kobold Trapsmith could step in as tribe leader, and something-something uses skunks on the PCs.

Sirithhyando
2019-04-09, 07:00 AM
Ideas:

The kobolds decide after consulting their scribbles of prophecy that PCs will be sacrificed to Yargle, the god of molten lava, reincarnating the kobold king as the red dragon foretold to lead the kobold people to greatness! (insert scenes about sneaking weapons into the sacrifical chamber, fighting next to a molten lava pit, and having one PC naturally dangling upside-down over the lava, who needs their winch to be steadied throughout the fight, else they tumble to their (very fiery) demise!)
There's a goblin in the prison with them, who has secretly been tunneling out the back of the prison cell. The goblin doesn't reveal this fact until the PCs agree to protect her journey back to her people (she betrays them at the first opportunity)
The kobolds are actually being led by a much more powerful being, who has the kobolds drag the PCs to it for an audience. Whatever it is (Young dragon? Aboleth?), it wants the PCs to accomplish something for it, putting them under a geas to accomplish it.

I believe you didn't see this module yet, your 3rd point is good but it can't really come right away and I need something to let them be on their way while thinking about the fact they killed the king.

If you want something light-hearted and funny, maybe have them all wake up tied to a cactus with extra long thorns up on the surface.
Won't work since I've already described how they are chained (and with the minotaur murder-hobo reaction to just force his way out of his chains...).

I’ve never had anyone even suggest killing Yusdrayl. Huh.

If you look at the map, the pillared hallway approaching Yusdrayl’s Throne has a few doors, one leads to a trapped hallway that will put the PCs close to the goblin centeral area. Perhaps the Party could be left (thrown) naked into that hallway before the doors are secured behind them.

I normally say the hallway has been filled with goblin garbage to make it noisy and difficult terrain for any kobold ambushes that may come from that direction. The garbage piles may have servicable daggers and shields for the naked party to use.

Edit: Maybe a Kobold Trapsmith could step in as tribe leader, and something-something uses skunks on the PCs.
Well, the minotaur simply rush anything that could be an enemy (even when I've said OOC that not everything should be killed... poor sleeping kobold... chunks of him are still on the minotaur horns) so he just attacked without thinking. A little chromatic orb took him down quickly, there weren't any place to talk after that. They got lucky and got the king anyway.

Anyway, using the trapped hallway to send the PC naked in goblin territory is a nice idea. Now, how many kobold needed to drag the huge cow to the trap without fail? Mmm, they knock them out and drag them! Sleeping poison or whatever (afb), i'll find something lol

Thanks

Unoriginal
2019-04-09, 07:06 AM
Do they care if their characters die?

Millstone85
2019-04-09, 07:15 AM
You made Yusdrayl a dude?

Okay.

Unoriginal
2019-04-09, 07:54 AM

Okay.

Technically Kobolds can naturally change their biological sex. But yeah, she's a lady in the module.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-09, 10:20 AM
Couldn't the Goblin get rescued, and they bring the pc's along?

Wildarm
2019-04-09, 10:46 AM
Has the group broken into the dragon tomb yet? I'd have the kobolds dose them with a poison that will kill them in 24 hours. They are then given the dragon key and told that this was all foreseen in the ancient prophesy. They must enter the tomb and subdue the dragon priest. He will hold the key to resurrecting their leader.

Players must defeat the traps and subdue the weakened troll inside without killing it. One of the scrolls in the chamber is a raise dead scroll that the troll has the ability to cast(since it was a high level priest at some point). They must convince or force the troll to raise Yudrasyl from the dead. Only then will they complete the prophesy and the kobolds give the antidote to the players.

At that point you can make up what you want for how Yudrasyl reacts and how to handle the now healed troll.

Sirithhyando
2019-04-09, 01:19 PM
Do they care if their characters die?
The minotaur doesn't care, he just wants to kill things on our quick Monday night game.

Okay.

Technically Kobolds can naturally change their biological sex. But yeah, she's a lady in the module.
Yup... I wasn't supposed to DM this game that night and the minotaur made clear that he was going to simply charge at everything so I didn't bother reading the subtle part saying it was a Queen rather than a King. The text mention "her"... it should've piqued my attention, but it didn't while I was just trying to save the leader.
Its a backup game for when someone (who is often absent) is absent, so I knew I was DM'ing it about 30 minutes before the game, don't prepare much for this one.

Couldn't the Goblin get rescued, and they bring the pc's along?
Sounds like a good idea, its worth exploring.

Has the group broken into the dragon tomb yet? I'd have the kobolds dose them with a poison that will kill them in 24 hours. They are then given the dragon key and told that this was all foreseen in the ancient prophesy. They must enter the tomb and subdue the dragon priest. He will hold the key to resurrecting their leader.

Players must defeat the traps and subdue the weakened troll inside without killing it. One of the scrolls in the chamber is a raise dead scroll that the troll has the ability to cast(since it was a high level priest at some point). They must convince or force the troll to raise Yudrasyl from the dead. Only then will they complete the prophesy and the kobolds give the antidote to the players.

At that point you can make up what you want for how Yudrasyl reacts and how to handle the now healed troll.
That would be perfect! Though the minotaur will just decide that he can forcefully take the antidote (that would get destroy in the process)

The others don't seem to mind the player doing this so I just go along with it and try to improvise. Though, of course, it would be nice if he took the game a little more seriously.