PDA

View Full Version : The Lore Bard, Pala, Hexblade tank

Skylivedk
2019-04-08, 04:43 PM
Hello playground!

Please help me build a fun counterspeller/tank.

A misunderstanding with a very high level Spellcaster lead to our Wizard losing his ability to breathe and pump blood. We're playing Tomb of Annihilation, so we can't really remove the "Dead" debuff, hence my friend and team mate needs a new character.

I was personally keen on playing the abjuration Wizard/ hexblade tank, but I don't think the player in question wants to play the same class.

During the battle of his demise, we did notice how great it was to have two people who could counterspell (my straight hexblade being the other one). With that in mind, bard became very interesting.

We're currently level eight... If we survive the remaining mobs.
Hexblade (drow, half-elf, EA, GWM, Momento+Spawn inspired, sacrificed his memory to forget his life; thinks he has to kill sentient beings as part of his curse)

Revised Ranger, beast master (v Human, PAM, Sentinel, gourmet chef wanting to end the curse so he can go back to making his famous seven times raised yuan-ti dish)

Knowledge cleric of Waukeen. Ayn Rand type capitalist, sick and tired of his family business having problems with their important import from Chult.

The way I could see the Hexblade/Lore Bard/Paladin do wonders would be to use magical secrets at level 6 for Spirit Guardians and Fireball/Conjure Animals. SG would be upcast maybe combined with a Darkness from me (especially once the tank is level. 2). Hexblade gives short rest Shield, Hex, Eldritch Blast and Booming Blade. Invocations would probably be Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast and/or the 10 ft push on the beams.

With War Caster and Booming Blade (on a +3 dagger... An important NPC suffered "an accident") gives great control up close. If EB has the push effect, then overall great control. Pala 2 gives a smite option (also good for higher level slots) and bless+AC.

I'm not sure if the Pala dip is worth it, which race is best (will, gnome probably is, but I fear that is off the table. v Human? Halfling?). Stats would probably be a lot of cha, 14 Dex, rest in con. We use point buy, but can buy up to 16.

I was originally thinking something along the lines of hexblade 1/Pala 2/lore bard 5, but there's a good reason to look at hexblade 2 (later 3)/lore bard 6 for the invocations and maybe ditch the Smite and extra hp+AC from Paladin

Your thoughts?

sophontteks
2019-04-08, 04:52 PM
So you want to be a tank that can counterspell? I'd suggest straight redemption paladin.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 06:19 PM
On that same note, if you want to play a casting melee combatant with Counterspell, Arcana Cleric would fit the bill. It also wouldn't be similar to what the player has already played. You have access to things like Spirit Guardians and Booming Blade as well. If defense is a concern, you can easily afford to grab Tough with your efficient levels, or you can start with a Fighter dip and start with Heavy Armor.

Skylivedk
2019-04-08, 06:21 PM
Good point about redemption cleric, but not before level 9, right? I had completely missed that. I'll mention it to my team mate. It would give the rest of us that very tasty aura as well.

I like the Arcana Cleric tank as well. I am not sure the fighter dip is worth it. At least not without being a dwarf (due to the strength requirement of a full plate). I guess it depends on whether or not he thinks it would step on the feet of the current cleric.

Of course there's always the option of going Sorcadin.