PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ranged attack in melee range while mounted?

Bladewing2013
2019-04-08, 08:26 PM
If you are mounted on a large creature, like a horse, would you count as being within 5 feet of an enemy for the purposes of having disadvantage while using a ranged weapon?
What about if your like a halfling on a medium creature?
I'm assuming you'd be fine on a huge

Rukelnikov
2019-04-08, 08:30 PM
Think it this way:

Would you be able to attack them with a sword? If the answer is yes, then you have disadvantage with ranged attacks.

No brains
2019-04-08, 08:49 PM
The way I understand it, 5e mounted combat has a rider sharing space(s) with their mount. When the mount has more spaces than the rider, ranged melee can get interesting.

A medium human on a large horse could have its horse mount next to an enemy. If the medium human chooses to be in one of the horse's squares that is not adjacent to the enemy, then they make make ranged attacks without disadvantage.

This would not work with a small halfling on a medium donkey. The donkey mount has no buffer squares to protect the rider.

This could work all the way up to a huge storm giant on a gargantuan dragon turtle next to a gargantuan purple worm. If the dragon turtle is next to the purple worm, the storm giant can adjust itself 5 feet away and throw a rock without disadvantage.

J-H
2019-04-08, 09:01 PM
When I'm DMing, my map will have the horse in two spaces, and the rider in one space...front or rear of horse. The rider can choose which space he is in, and I adjudicate accordingly. This is also relevant for lances.