PDA

View Full Version : Foes with attacks that leave lingering effects?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-04-08, 10:33 PM
Something is terrifying about having an ability score or maximum hit points reduced. I'm looking for bad guys who can put a good scare into a party I DM for but not necessarily a bunch of casters laying something as totally debilitating as Feebleminding them.

Although I do like Feebleminded lol.

Thanks in advance.

Jerrykhor
2019-04-08, 10:42 PM
I had a Level 11 party of 6 players fight a some banshees. There's nothing like a few wails to drop full hp PCs to 0 to put the fear of TPK in them, since there is the possibility of everyone going unconscious. They did better than any CR appropriate monsters could.

Quietus
2019-04-08, 11:07 PM
I put a group of my PC's against a monster that was based off of the demon, Chasme. That sting is a brutal handful of D6's, and the look on one player's face when I took 30 HP off their maximum in one, very brutal roll was... memorable. :smallamused:

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-04-09, 11:16 AM
Dropping max hit point is a good one. What is it that drains Charisma?

Dungeon-noob
2019-04-09, 11:47 AM
Take a look at the Death Dog. Only CR1 and its save is DC 11, but the effect is painfull, especially when you can't just cast it away. Now throw a pack of those at a party, with something meatier as their alpha/boss. Shadows also drain STR, and are terrifying when played right. Just underneath them in the book are the Slaad, who have a dangerous CON save ability that can easily kill any PC unfortunate enough not to have it cured.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-09, 01:34 PM
Night hag can pop from the ethereal plane and drain 1d10 max hp, during the night, then pop back into the ethereal. Can make every long rest damn stressful. Then there's the Dream spell, which denies the benefit of the long rest and inflict some damage. That can become a real ticking time bomb scenario.

nickl_2000
2019-04-09, 01:37 PM
Undead are the place you want to look.

Mummies, Banshees, Specters, Wraith, Vampires, etc

Merudo
2019-04-10, 01:29 AM
The CR 1/8 Diseased Giant Rat gives a disease (DC10) that prevents the target from regaining Hit Points except by magical means, and that decreases the target’s hit point maximum by 3 every 24 hours.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-04-15, 11:39 PM
Some good choices from everyone. The Red Slaad with that tadpole like infection which will become a thing several sessions from now seems especially interesting.

After that I'm sure the Cleric of the party will blow his slots every night removing curses or diseases.